SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DD-214, where do you keep yours?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snake king
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-214 Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Registered at the Courthouse and secured in a locked file cabinet at home. I keep multiple copies and have a wallet card copy as well.

CAUTION: When you register your DD214 at the courthouse it becomes a public record -- available to anyone who chooses to read it. Make certain that you ask the county clerk to blank out your SSN. Bad guys with your name and SSN can make you a poor man.

Sad
RichardP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy at the courthouse, and gave one to my wife, she has filed it away somewhere, and if I need it, I can get it.

I never keep anything important, I always hand it off to the better half. She is FAR more organized then I am. LOL
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try this site for replacement medals and ribbons and other help.

Military Service Medals and Replacement Recognitions

I belive this may be a private site not a government site. It is run by someone called "The American War Library", so check it out and see what the consensus is about them. I think they even have a place where you can register your DD-214 and maybe they can help you with other tasks. Their address and phone number are posted on the site, and they have an email link for questions, so I don't think they are trying to be sneaky and steal info.

Anyone who knows about them or finds out about them might want to post some feedback.
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your wisdom, insight, and prompt responses. I'd better get off my can and get to the courthouse. Thank you again!
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording it is sound advice. Using a safe deposit box is also sound. Do both.

No files are totally safe from destruction. Redundancy matters.

Back in 1969 I wrote the government to resign my reserve commission and totally sever the connection, having completed the basic six year obligation. I got a post card acknowledgement and they said they were working on it. I did not hear from them and followed up a few months later. I got another postcard informing me that they were still working on it. These exchanges were with the records center in St. Louis where there was subsequently a major fire. Many thousands of records were destroyed. Since I never got any more postcards, I figure that my records were among those burned up. I had already liberated my medical files to the VA and was drawing VA benefits for graduate school. So the immediate consequence was nil. I also was in later years cleared again for Top Secret, so somebody must be satisfied that I am legit. Nevertheless, you cannot trust the system to take care of you. Scatter multiple copies with people who count. Cool
Pandora
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-214, where do you keep yours? Reply with quote

volosong wrote:
Setting aside politics for a moment . . .

When I got out, the PO said to always keep my DD-214 and to never lose it. That it was a very, very important paper. For these 30 something years, I've kept it in an envelope in my brief case, always congizant of where the silly thing was.

Probably not the best place to keep it. Where do you keep your copy? Should I obtain a bank safe deposit box and keep it in there with my other non-existant valuables? Is it really that important to keep?

I keep mine in my safe at home.
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DD214 is recorded at the County Cleck's office. I also keep a JPEG copy on the computer for emailing. Again, make sure your SSN is covered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: