SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Size of a bullet....say what?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bend over, Mr. Kerry. Some people here want to check you out!!! Smile

Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullet sized frag.....hmmmmmmm.....where was Kerry 22 Nov 1963 ?
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kerry is trying yet again to convince the world that he is a hero. Watch closely as the the splinter he picked up on Dec 2 turns into an RPG. More to come from the exciting adventures of Walter Middy... see medals flying at incredible speeds as Kerry the hero tells his wonderous tales of how others ran as he alone stood before the NVA and VC taking hit after hit while saving numerous less heroic men against all odds. I gotta quit, this is making me sick!!!!
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
. Unless, of course, he's Barnabas Collins of Dark Shadows 1960's soap opera fame...instant healing of bullet wounds - unless they're silver Twisted Evil

great! someone who remembers Dark Shadows!

Yes....loved the series as a kid...ultra-lovely Kate Jackson got her start there as did actors like David Selby etc.

....and now I remember what Dark Shadows character Mr. Kerry reminds me of (especially with his coiffure)...

David Selby as Quentin Collins' werewolf!

-- FDL
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I don't get something. If Kerry had a bullet in his leg why didn't Navy doctors remove it?

We are not talking the civil war here where Army doctors may have had dozens of wounded lined up outside their tent forcing them to bypass some of the injured -- then a hundred years later Kerry can't get a bullet removed? Come on.

Nalt
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerald L. Parsoneault wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't get something. If Kerry had a bullet in his leg why didn't Navy doctors remove it?

We are not talking the civil war here where Army doctors may have had dozens of wounded lined up outside their tent forcing them to bypass some of the injured -- then a hundred years later Kerry can't get a bullet removed? Come on.

Nalt

He didn't get a bullet in his leg. His doctor made an allusion to a piece of shrapnel in Tall John's leg being 'about the size of a bullet', which was intended to precisely conjur up a false but much more serious injury than he had. Of the two pieces of shrapnel in Tall John, the only one we've seen dimensions given for is one that is 2mm square. If it helps by comparisn, a little round BB from those old BB guns ten year olds used to plink cans with were about 4.5mm across.

That's the point: the physician was 'spinning'. That doc said that the 2mm piece was 'a bit smaller' than the other, in which case, neither comes anywhere near the size of even a small .22 short round, which would be over two times larger in diameter alone than a 2mm piece, and much larger, in multiples, by length.

Denis
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the point, we don't know anything about the size and shape of the fragments in Kerry's thigh.

For a physician to not give a technical description is very strange. Doctors are much more clinical in their descriptions of things, they must be if they expect to communicate exact information about a patient's medical condition to another medical professional. It is possible the doctor was "talking down" to the reporter in language he would understand, if so an astute investigator should ask the doctor to give an exact description.
The doctors description of "One piece is shaped like a bullet and the other slightly smaller" seems intentionally vague.

I would have expected a description something like: "There were two fragments noted on the x-ray. The first was cylindrical in shape and approximately 10mm long by 3mm in diameter. The second fragment was also cylindrical and 8mm long by 3mm in diameter"
Or it could have been: " There were two fragments on the x-ray. The larger was an irregular trapezoid roughly 4mm long by 6mm wide and 2mm thick. The second is also an irregular trapezoid 3mm long by 5mm wide and 2mm thick."

I used the above descriptions to give everyone and idea of what you should expect if the fragments were from a US M-79 grenade or a VC B-40.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fortdixlover
....and now I remember what Dark Shadows character Mr. Kerry reminds me of (especially with his coiffure)...

David Selby as Quentin Collins' werewolf!

-- FDL[/quote]

David Selby and the character Angelique were my favorite! drats! your right - kerry does resemble Selby's character! Surprised

and Kerry says he was at Yale!!!! I do seem to remember it was filmed at or around Tarreytown? That's back east somewhere...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
That is the point, we don't know anything about the size and shape of the fragments in Kerry's thigh.
Hammer,

We do know from the Washington Post piece that one of the two pieces of shrapnel is about 2mm square, or about 1/12th inch. We don't know if that is the larger of the two, or the one that Doyle says 'is a bit smaller'.

Denis
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis,

Thanks for your excellent clarification. . . .but perhaps I was a little too "tongue in cheek." The point I intended to make point was: if it were really a bullet in Kerry it would have been removed.

I recall vividly growing up with Gunsmoke and Doc Adams. Old Doc would always dig in the wound with forcepts until he pulled out the bullet! He would drop it in a tin cup with a great clank and announce that Matt Dillon would recover, much to Kitty and Chester's relief.

Nalt
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Some great responses here. I am a RN who specializes in Emergency and Trauma care. I have been a RN for over 12 years. (please dont ask me how I went from airborne infantry to RN..long story) Firstly we know that it is NOT a bullet in JK's leg. Secondly, I have never heard a doctor use the "its about the size of" Granted the reporter may have been using literary license, but we may never know. I would question Doctor Doyle's credentials and ask when is the last time he has worked clinically (if ever). Examples of how silly this sounds.

"Guy has been shot in the belly and its the size of a small ball and its bleeding all over the place"
OR

"23yo male with 3cm GSW to abd with uncontrolled bleeding"

I report to trauma surgeons all the time before they even see the patient. If I am not accurate and precise in my descriptions of the patients wounds and condition. I would surely get fired on the spot.
Also wouldn't the naval or army surgeons remove a object that is so close to the femoral artery? The risk of infection and the risk of the object moving and damaging tissue would outweigh the surgical risk of extracting the foriegn body..Especially if they thought it to be a bullet!
Regardless that he was never hospitalized for this wound. At a bare mininium he should have at least been given IV antibiotics and a tetanus shot.
It never ceases to amaze me the dribble that is put out by his campaign.
fb274
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: DOCS MEDICAL REPORT-------------- Reply with quote

Wonder if Kerry wrote the medical release--------didn't I read that he authored most of the after action reports.

fb :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: