SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Honor - on television, soon!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original story from NewsMax.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/10/9/220649.shtml

Sinclair Network to Air Anti-Kerry Movie on Election Eve

NewsMax.com
Monday, Oct. 11, 2004

Sinclair Broadcast Group, one the nation's largest broadcasting groups, has instructed its stations to pre-empt their regular programming just days before the upcoming presidential election to air the anti-Kerry documentary "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal."

Story Continues Below

The Sinclair network reaches about a quarter of the nation's homes.

The Los Angeles Times reported this weekend that the network's airing of the unflattering documentary about John Kerry’s Vietnam service and his anti-war activities may have much greater impact. Many Sinclair stations broadcast in key swing states such as Florida and Ohio.

The documentary attacking Sen. John F. Kerry's anti-Vietnam War days was reportedly funded by Pennsylvania veterans and produced by a veteran and former Washington Times reporter.

Featuring former POWs accusing Kerry of betrayal, Sinclair plans to classify the airing as news programming.

The liberal media and Kerry supporters are livid about Sinclair's decision.

"It's not the American way for powerful corporations to strong-arm local broadcasters to air lies promoting a political agenda," argued David Wade, a spokesman for the Democratic nominee's campaign. "It's beyond yellow journalism; it's a smear bankrolled by Republican money, and I don't think Americans will stand for it."

Sinclair has 14 affiliated or owned stations in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin – key venues in the tight 2004 race.

According to the Times report, the documentary will pre-empt regular programming for one hour between Oct. 21 and Oct. 24 – depending on the city.

A panel discussion will follow the airing of the controversial program – a panel that Kerry reportedly will be asked to join.

Thus far, however, Kerry campaign officials advise that they had been unaware of Sinclair's special programming and claim candidate Kerry has not yet received an invitation to appear.

This is not the first time Sinclair has ruffled establishment media feathers. Last April Sinclair took the spotlight when it ordered its ABC-affiliated stations not to air Ted Koppel's "Nightline" special that offered a roll call of all U.S. military who had died in Iraq.

Sinclair argued that "Nightline's" broadcasting of the names and pictures of more than 700 U.S. troops was a political statement rather than a tribute. The Times noted Sinclair's Republican leanings and said that Sinclair executives have given nearly $68,000 in political contributions, 97 percent to Republicans.

Criticism is already pouring forth.

Keith Woods, dean of the faculty at the Poynter Institute, a journalism school in St. Petersburg, Fla., Said, "To air a documentary intended to provide a one-sided view of Kerry's record and call it news — it's like calling Michael Moore's movie news."

Thus far the documentary has been available only on DVD or through an Internet download.

The film’s producer, Carlton Sherwood, a Vietnam veteran and former reporter for the conservative Washington Times, tells viewers, "Intended or not, Lieutenant Kerry painted a depraved portrait of Vietnam veterans, literally creating the images of those who served in combat as deranged drug-addicted psychopaths, baby killers. ..."
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a report on this very topic on the Lexington, KY
ABC affiliate, which competes with the Sinclair owned
station! They reported the action by Sinclair, described
the documentary in brief, and showed pictures of Kerry from
that era! Wow, that was a boost!

This is going to be BIG. We all need to dedicate ourselves to
doing whatever we can to promote this. I'll be listing the
television station=local newspaper contacts in the morning.

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SooZQ wrote:

This is going to be BIG. We all need to dedicate ourselves to
doing whatever we can to promote this. I'll be listing the
television station=local newspaper contacts in the morning.

Yes, make sure everyone you know, dem or repub knows about the broadcast if its showing in your town.

A close win for Bush is not enough, Kerry must be

SQUASHED!

Zell Miller
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support your Sinclair station! The screaming banshee attack is already beginning. But if Sinclair can keep advertisers and a loyal audience they can can continue to be a valuable asset in the fight against OIM censorship of moderate and conservative views.

I wish they'd have a 24 hour marathon of Stolen Honor, Farenhype 9-11, and Kerry's congressional testimony, punctuated by SwiftVet commercials. How cool would that be?

But lets be thankful for what we've got, and let them know!
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keith Woods, dean of the faculty at the Poynter Institute, a journalism school in St. Petersburg, Fla., Said, "To air a documentary intended to provide a one-sided view of Kerry's record and call it news — it's like calling Michael Moore's movie news."

Do these dweebs even know what the format of the documentary is? Of course each of the former POWs have only a "one-sided" view of Kerry's "record" - their own.

I wonder if Dean Woods was upset with Richard Clarke's "one-sided" interview on 60 minutes or with Rather's "one-sided" story about Bush's TANG service? Somehow I doubt that he did. I imagine he'd have no problem calling those stories genuine "news" stories.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news, but I ws disappointed to see that the only area getting it in Kentucky is the Lexington area. I live in Louisville and unless one of our stations picks up the feed from Lexington , which they normally do not do, the Louisville area will not be able to see Stolen Honor. Confused
USMC_CommGod
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Excerpts available on web already... Reply with quote

The entire program isn't (yet) available for download, but the website & excerpt from the program ARE already available: Laughing

http://www.stolenhonor.com/documentary/program-excerpts.asp

Let's back Sinclair Broadcasting up, but sending this (or the root www.stolenhonor.com) link to as many "undecided" and liberal people that we know!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New news story:

Quote:
TV Group to Show Anti- Kerry Film on 62 Stations
By JIM RUTENBERG

p to 62 television stations owned or managed by the Sinclair Broadcasting Group - many of them in swing states - will show a documentary highly critical of Senator John Kerry's antiwar activities 30 years ago within the next two weeks, Sinclair officials said yesterday.

Those officials said the documentary would pre-empt regular night programming, including prime time, on its stations, which include affiliates for all six of the major broadcast networks in the swing states of Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Nevada and Pennsylvania.

Called "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," the documentary features Vietnam veterans who say their Vietnamese captors used Mr. Kerry's 1971 Senate testimony, in which he recounted stories of American atrocities, prolonging their torture and betraying and demoralizing them. Similar claims were made by prisoners of war in a commercial that ran during the summer from an anti-Kerry veterans group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Two of the former prisoners who appeared in the Swift Boat advertisement were interviewed for the movie, including Ken Cordier, who had to resign as a volunteer in the Bush campaign after the advertisement came out.

Sinclair's plan to show the documentary was first made public by The Los Angeles Times on Saturday.

Mark Hyman, Sinclair's vice president for corporate relations, who doubles as a conservative commentator on its news stations, said the film would be shown because Sinclair deemed it newsworthy.

"Clearly John Kerry has made his Vietnam service the foundation of his presidential run; this is an issue that is certainly topical," he said. Asked what defined something as newsworthy, Mr. Hyman said, "In that it hasn't been out in the marketplace, and the news marketplace."

Because Sinclair is defining the documentary - which will run commercial free - as news, it is unclear if it will be required by federal regulations to provide Mr. Kerry's campaign with equal time to respond.

But acknowledging that news standards call for fairness, Mr. Hyman said an invitation has been extended to Mr. Kerry to respond after the documentary is shown. "There are certainly serious allegations that are leveled; we would very much like to get his response," he said.

Asked if Sinclair would consider running a documentary of similar length either lauding Mr. Kerry, responding to the charges in "Stolen Honor" or criticizing Mr. Bush, Mr. Hyman said, "We'd just have to take a look at it."

Aides to Mr. Kerry said he would not accept Sinclair's invitation.

"It's hard to take an offer seriously from a group that is hellbent on doing anything to help elect President Bush even if that means violating basic journalism standards," said Chad Clanton, a Kerry spokesman.

Sinclair's plans put Mr. Kerry's campaign in an awkward position similar to the one in which it found itself in August, when the Swift Boat group first began running commercials against him containing unsubstantiated charges that he lied to get his war medals. Mr. Kerry's aides at first held back from responding, so as not to give the group and its charges more attention - a decision that some Kerry aides now acknowledge cost him in public opinion polls.

Mr. Clanton said Mr. Kerry's campaign would call on supporters to stage advertiser boycotts and demonstrations against Sinclair's stations.

A group of Democratic senators, including Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts and Dianne Feinstein of California, readied a letter calling for the Federal Communications Commission to investigate the move, arguing that the documentary was not news but a prolonged political advertisement from Mr. Bush and, as such, violated fairness rules.

Andrew Jay Schwartzman, president of the Media Access Project, an advocacy group promoting greater media regulation, said he did not think the film would qualify for a news exemption. And, he said, even if it did fall under equal time provisions, those are based on candidate appearances and in this case, since it is Mr. Kerry who appears, "albeit disparagingly," stations would be required to show Mr. Bush or possibly the independent candidate Ralph Nader, if they requested it.

Sinclair was already a galvanizing force for Democrats. The political donations of its executives have gone overwhelmingly to Republicans, according to a review of donations on Politicalmoneyline.com. In April Sinclair refused to run an episode of "Nightline" on its stations in which the anchor Ted Koppel spent the entire program reading the names of American soldiers killed in Iraq.

"Stolen Honor" was produced by Carlton Sherwood, formerly a reporter with The Washington Times. His Web site says he received no money from any political party or campaign but got initial funding from Pennsylvania veterans.

The documentary has been distributed by mail order and via streaming Internet connections. Mr. Hyman said Sinclair was not paying for the right to broadcast it.

Admin - Replaced long link with hypertext

Stolen Honor
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my experience in another thread, "Put Swiftees and Stolen Honor on local access?," that was discussing how to access the show, not knowing this one existed!! Where has my search engine gone Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I called Sinclair and had a very nice talk with the receptionist and I asked about their showing it on their website and she suggested that I call back next week and make that suggestion.

I hope everyone calls them or emails them with this request!! I'd love for them to see the number of us who support their decision! SooZQ has posted their phone numbers so please call them!!
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "showing it on their website", you mean stream it? That would be great. But why did she say to call back next week?

Stolen Honor
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a Vet,
I think she meant that calling after the show aired would have more impact on their decision whether to air it or not for those of us who do not live in an area with one of their stations. I was dismayed to find that I'd have to go to either Baltimore or Richmond in order to see the program, and that's when we began discussing the idea of putting it on the web!
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think making it availble as a stream or download is a great idea. We could post, email the links every where. Download it, burn it to cd/dvd and pass it out. This can only be done with permission of coarse.

Stolen Honor
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this post I will be listing all of the television stations owned by
Sinclair Broadcasting, along with the names and contact info for
the major newspaper in that same area.

There are several options for advertising this, an ad purchase
being one of the most direct. However, I also believe that if
editors in these areas were to receive letters commending
Sinclair and the local station for running Stolen Honor
that it will have an impact. Perhaps, even generate a story
in the papers about the event?

As others in these threads have noted, letters are more likely
to be read, and published if they are short, polite and
address a single topic. Save 'rants' for here. Wink

Some of these "links" will take you to an email, others will
open to a form. If you write a letter to the editor, include
your name, address, and phone number...otherwise don't
waste your time, because they all
require this info.

You can save the info below to a document from which to
work.

Sample letter...just a suggestion...

I am writing to express my appreciation for the
Sinclair Broadcasting Co., owner of local television
station (insert call letters here), which recently
announced plans to air the documentary Stolen Honor.
within the next several days.

I commend Sinclair for giving us the opportunity to
view this important film, which interviews Prisoners
of the Vietnam War. In their own words, they tell
how John Kerry's testimony in 1971 impacted them
while still behind bars, and served to lengthen the
war.

Most Sincerely.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tampa, FL…Station WTTA / Tampa Tribune
http://tampatrib.com/opinion/lettertotheeditor.htm
St. Petersburg Times http://www.sptimes.com/letters/

Minneapolis, MN…Station KMWB / Star Tribune Mineapolis
http://www.startribune.com/feedback go to general feedback
Pioneer Press letters@pioneerpress.com <letters@pioneerpress.com>

Sacramento, CA….Station KOVR / Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com/static/live/opinion/letters.html

St. Louis, MO….Station KDNL / St. Louis Post-Dispatch letters@post-dispatch.com <letters@post-dispatch.com>

Pittsburgh, PA….Stations, WPGH, WCWB / Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/letters/send/

Baltimore, MD…..Station WBFF / Baltimore Sun
letters@baltsun.com <letters@baltsun.com>

Afro American Newspapers ….hardcopy letter to:
2519 N. Charles Street
Baltimore MD 21218
Attn: Dorothy Boulware

Raleigh-Durham, NC…Stations, WLFL, WRDC / The Observer
http://www.nd.edu/~observer/04172000/edletter.html
The Daily Record badams@dunndailyrecord.com <badams@dunndailyrecord.com>

Nashville, TN…Stations, WZTV, WUXP / Tennessean
http://tennessean.com/siteindex/ scroll down site map to letter to editor

Kansas City, MO…Station KSMO / Kansas City Star
letters@kcstar.com <letters@kcstar.com>

Milwaukee, WI…Stations, WCGV, WVTV / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/editorials/submit.asp#submit

Cincinnati, OH…Stations, WSYX, WTTE /
The Cincinnati Enquirer http://www.enquirer.com/editor/letters.html
The Cincinnati Post postedits@cincypost.com <postedits@cincypost.com>
The Kentucky Post kyedits@cincypost.com <kyedits@cincypost.com>

Columbus, OH…Station WSYX / The Columbus dispatch
letters@dispatch.com <letters@dispatch.com>

Asheville, NC & Greenville / Spartanburg /Anderson, SC…Station WLOS /
Asheville Citizen-Times http://www.citizen-times.com/contact/letters.shtml
Spartanburg Herald-Journal opinion@shj.com <opinion@shj.com>

Anderson Independent-Mail: Hard copy letter
Anderson Independent-Mail
PO Box 2507
Anderson, SC 29622

San Antonio, TX…Stations, KABB, KRRT / San Antonio Express-News
letters@express-news.net <letters@express-news.net>

Birmingham / Tuscaloosa, AL…Stations, WTTO, WABM / Birmingham, AL Post-Herald kseitz@postherald.com <kseitz@postherald.com>
The Birmingham News http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/?lettereditor.html

Norfolk, VA…Station WTVZ / Norfolk…The Virginian-Pilot
http://home.hamptonroads.com/feedback/submit.cfm?id=1&url=http://www.hamptonroads.com/pilotonline/

Oklahoma City, OK…Stations, KOCB, KOKH / The Oklahoman
http://www.oklahoman.net/news/opinions/
Oklahoma Constitution Editor@OklahomaConstitution.com <Editor@OklahomaConstitution.com>
Journal Record news@journalrecord.com <news@journalrecord.com>

Buffalo, NY…Stations, WUTV, WNYO / The Buffalo News
LetterToEditor@buffnews.com <LetterToEditor@buffnews.com>

Greensboro / Winston-Salem / Highpoint, NC…Stations WXLV, WUPN / Greensboro News-Record http://www.news-record.com/news/opinions/letterstoeditor.shtml
Winston-Salem Journal letters@wsjournal.com <letters@wsjournal.com>

Las Vegas, NV…Stations KVWB, KFBT / Las Vegas Review-Journal
http://www.reviewjournal.com/about/print/press/letterstoeditor.html

Dayton, OH…Station WKEF / Dayton Daily News
edletter@daytondailynews.com <edletter@daytondailynews.com>

Richmond, VA…Station WRLH / Richmond VA Times Dispatch
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FPage%2FRTD_ContentPage&c=Page&cid=1058750353246#online

Charleston / Huntington, WV…Station WCHS / Charleston, WV Gazzette Mail srodell@wvgazette.com <srodell@wvgazette.com>
Huntington, WV The Herald-Dispatch http://www.herald-dispatch.com/hdinfo/letters.html

Mobile, AL / Pensacola, FL…Station WEAR /
Mobile, AL Mobile Register http://www.al.com/mobileregister/?lettereditor.html
Pensacola, FL News Journal randyhammer@pensacolanewsjournal.com <randyhammer@pensacolanewsjournal.com>

Lexington, KY…Station WDKY / Lexington, KY Lexington Herald-Leader
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/contact_us/newspaper_services/letters_to_the_editor/

Flint / Saginaw / Bay City, MI…Station WSMH / Flint Journal
jforen@flintjournal.com <jforen@flintjournal.com>
Bay City, MI Bay City Times
http://www.bc-times.com/emaileditor/
Saginaw, MI Saginaw News
http://www.saginaw-news.com/emaileditor/

Des Moines, IA…Station KDSM / Des Moines Register
letters@dmreg.com <letters@dmreg.com>

Portland, ME…Station WGME / Portland Press Herald
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/contact/editor.shtml

Rochester, NY…Station WUHF / Rochester, NY Democrat and Chronicle
feedback@DemocratandChronicle.com <feedback@DemocratandChronicle.com>

Syracuse, NY…Station WSYT / Syracuse,NY The Post-Standard
http://www.syracuse.com/contactus/

Paducah, KY / Cape Girardeau, MO…Station KBSI / Paducah, KY The Paducah Sun mthrower@paducahsun.com <mthrower@paducahsun.com>
Cape Girardeau, MO Southeast Missourian
http://www.semissourian.com/opinion/letters/submit/

Champaign / Springfield / Decatur, IL…Stations WICD, WICS / Champaign Pantagraph bwills@pantagraph.com <bwills@pantagraph.com>
Springfield Herald-Review ggrooms@herald-review.com <ggrooms@herald-review.com>

Madison, WI…Station WMSN / Wisconsin State Journal
email from your account: wsjopine@madison.com

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Dubuque, IA…Station KGAN / Cedar Rapids Gasette editorial@gazettecommunications.com <editorial@gazettecommunications.com>
Dubuque Telegraph Herald THletters@wcinet.com <THletters@wcinet.com>
Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier online@wcfcourier.com <online@wcfcourier.com>

Tri-City, TN...Station WEMT / Johnson City Press
rhouk@johnsoncitypress.com <rhouk@johnsoncitypress.com>

Charleston, SC…Station WMMP / The Post and Courier
letters@postandcourier.com <letters@postandcourier.com>
Springfield, MA…Station WGGB / The Republican
letters@repub.com <letters@repub.com>
Tallahassee, FL….Station WTWC / Tallahassee Democrat
letters@tallahassee.com <letters@tallahassee.com>

Peoria / Bloomington, IL…Station WYZZ / Peoria Journal Star
forum@pjstar.com <forum@pjstar.com>

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So friends, follow your hearts on this.
If you want to start a campaign to sponsor ads
in the papers of the swing states, that's great!
If you can send letters to all these papers that
would be terrific!! We need everyone
participating to really make a BIG statement here.

God Bless,
Sue

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on Drudge now- (NY TImes!)

http://tinyurl.com/66lje

Mod edit for long link
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on Drudge now- (NY TImes!)

http://tinyurl.com/66lje

Mod edit for long link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Stolen Honor" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: