SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navy Testing New Uniforms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GulfCoastie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us Coasties just changed our work uniform as well, we kept the solid blue color, just changed from our janitor uniform to what is basically the standard BDUs except we decided to remove the bottom blouse pockets and tuck it in. Also, every enlisted was issued a standard seabag worth of it as long as they had more than a year left active so no one had to pay out of pocket.
Patrol Forces Southwest Asia
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid-70s, I was a brand new Chief stationed at Naval
Construction Training Center at Port Hueneme, CA. One day the
CO called me up to his office, took me over to the window overlooking
the back door to the Personnel Office. There were about 20 brand new
SeaBees milling around out there, just out of Boot Camp, and wearing
the new "suit & tie" uniform. The CO was not a happy camper. He
told me to find out why some of the sailors out there were wearing black
socks and why others were wearing white socks.

"Aye, aye Sir"

So I ask a "white sock" sailor.

"Chief, I went to Orlando and the uniform is with white socks."

"Chief, I went to San Diego and the uniform is with black socks."

"Yabut Chief, I went to boot camp at Great Lakes and the uniform
is black socks OVER white socks."

The Chief: "Uniform in 11th Naval District is black socks. Make it so."

Went back and told the CO.

CO: "I knew there was a reasonable explanation."

That was really a great tour.

Very Happy
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAFE5 wrote:
Unfortunately this urge to redo uniforms isn't limited to the Navy. My hubby is with TSA and they just redid those uniformes too. Small changes in the pants and the colors went from AF blue to black with white.

Is the genius who re-designed the TSA uniforms the same person who received that Lifetime Achievement Award at their $400,000 banquet?

THIS JUST IN!!! - the St. Louis Cardinals have announced a small change to their baseball uniforms...they are adding a black mourning band on their right sleeve. Red Sox 11 - Cardinals 9 FINAL Razz
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the humility of it all........ Since I joined the Georgia State Guard I've done nothing but give them sh*t over having to wear a "girlscout hat" (beret) and "What the hell are you supposed to do with all these F***ing pockets if you can't put anything in them?" Now I am reaping what I have sown and the smart alecs are sharpening their knives.... OY! Embarassed Embarassed

HOV1
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading a couple of the above, I just couldn’t resist . . .

I be standin’ here, patch over me bad eye, earring shined, cutlass sharp as a razor, wearin’ me Sunday best, parrot on me shoulder - and I’m hearin’ that the US Navy be GIVIN’ UP ITS DUNGAREES!

Shiver me timbers! Ain't nothing better for wrappin’ round yer loins than some ’o that certified uniform navy twill! How’s an honest pirate like meself supposed to find it now? It ain’t to be found growin’ on palm trees, ye know!

Next, ye’ll be tellin’ me there ain’t no such thing as mermaids, and that we can’t keelhaul prisoners, nor make ’em walk the plank, and that there ain’t no longer cat nor grog in the Royal Navy!!

Arr, it’s enough to make Davie Jones ’imself become a landlubber!

Last edited by Hondo on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!!!

Uncle Sugars' Canoe Club is dropping the Skirt requirement for women!!!!

Shame, shame, shame......

I remember when the "Word of the Day" was LEGS and we did our level best to "Spread" the word.

Guess they'll just have to check for lumps in the shirt now......

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
JB Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, well....the PC Navy has FINALLY arrived....!!!!

Shocked

I've been reading the various posts and they're a hoot.

The argument about "hiding little spots" would have been expanded in the Good Ol' Days [1967-70] to places unprintable here.

Embarassed

But, since they allow GIRLS on ships now.....I'm HOPING they don't opt for Fleet Wide shoulder bags for all swabbies as well.

Wink

Heck, when I was on the Granny [USS Granville S. Hall, YAG-40]** jamming my dungarees into my microscopic "locker" with my foot was the most space-saving method ever devised....and OCCASIONALLY I'd even put on socks for morning muster....just walk slow and NOBODY knows.

But, after several million washings, they WERE the most comfy damn things I EVER owned. And, if they DIDN'T have any "spots" on them....the Chief would FIND some way to get something on them....eh....???

I'm with the guy who requisitioned the DAYGLO Flourescent stuff...good for hunting when you go home.

I SERIOUSLY think this whole thing is just a ploy to support the South Korean economy as we ALL know there couldn't POSSIBLY be any "logical" explanation to the whole mess.

~~~~~~

**I'm not saying that things were 'LAX' or anything during OPS, but newbies of all ranks were often somewhat amiss to discover that the Uniform du Jour in the Marshall Islands was shorts, a ball cap, and flip flops.....no joke...!!!

How'd we get away with all that....???

Let's just say you ain't seen NUTHIN' yet until you step onto the very literal "Wackiest Ship in the Army" or one of its accompaniment of "ocean going" tugs...which were actually Army harbor tugs with points welded onto them.

http://home.comcast.net/~kknowlto/navy.htm

And, to a Granny Boy, the thought of "Glow in the Dark" uni's was, well....beyond histrionics:

Quote:
They were rigged in the early '50s so they could be steered by remote control so they could be "driven through downwind radiation clouds resulting from atmospheric detonations of nuclear devices" near Eniwetok and Bikini atolls, according to Guy Willis of Tennessee, who wrote about his work on the Hall in the mid '50s for a newsletter, "The Navy Liberty Ship Sailor."

[note the keen 30-foot wide "crow's nest" on the forward mast....!!!]

~~~~~

Ya know....I REALIZE this has been a bit 'off topic', but you NEVER hear Jabba the Kennedy or Kerry the Traitor EVER mention that little project [112/SHAD] that the OTHER JFK started in 1962....that Teddy no doubt discussed with his brother....and the follow-up to which Kerry no doubt voted to fund...let's just let bygones be bygones...ESPECIALLY when it comes to getting your hands on the reins of power.

Shocked

Yep, from the heart and soul of us 10,000+ SHADDEES, or what's left of us, those uniform changes must be just about the most important study WE've ever heard of.

OH, yeah....and for those who came onboard for the jaunt Down South in '72, if you thought picking THAT hunk of floating rust to be the backup recovery vessel for Appollo 13 was incredibly funny....just wait till you hear about the Artsy-Fartsy monkey suits the Navy gonna waste Bazillions on next.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

What the HELL do I care...???

I'm disabled....WHAT TAXES....?????

Twisted Evil

....was it 'worth it'....???

no

Confused

Please enter 'off topic' responses HERE:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13643

Wink

Or PM me....

Video Game Outfits....what next, NO SPITTING....????

Rolling Eyes
hosemonkey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! Bellbottoms and dungarees are for SAILORS and I wore them with deep pride for twenty-two years and cried when I took them off for the last time. I will be buried in my dress blues and when I (hopefully) get to heaven, I won't look like an explosion in the paint locker.
Hosemonkey said that!
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...an explosion in the paint locker." That's a great line. I gotta
remember that for later. I'll save that one for when #3 SinL gets
out of basic at Ft. Benning. He'll probably have enough wherewithall
to stuff me in a dumpster though.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: