SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry “I’m smarter” myth debunked!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle the Hun wrote:
Quote:

We'll see if it makes a very prominent newspaper this Sunday. Should know soon.

Check this out! The New York Times has an article re Vdare.com's article. I can't believe it--THE NEW YORK TIMES!

Finally, a positive article by the MSM. Way to go Hun!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/politics/campaign/24points.html

Quote:
Secret Weapon for Bush?
By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: October 24, 2004

To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry.

That, at least, is the conclusion of Steve Sailer, a conservative columnist at the Web magazine Vdare.com and a veteran student of presidential I.Q.'s. During the last presidential campaign Mr. Sailer estimated from Mr. Bush's SAT score (1206) that his I.Q. was in the mid-120's, about 10 points lower than Al Gore's.

Mr. Kerry's SAT score is not known, but now Mr. Sailer has done a comparison of the intelligence tests in the candidates' military records. They are not formal I.Q. tests, but Mr. Sailer says they are similar enough to make reasonable extrapolations.

Mr. Bush's score on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test at age 22 again suggests that his I.Q was the mid-120's, putting Mr. Bush in about the 95th percentile of the population, according to Mr. Sailer. Mr. Kerry's I.Q. was about 120, in the 91st percentile, according to Mr. Sailer's extrapolation of his score at age 22 on the Navy Officer Qualification Test.

Linda Gottfredson, an I.Q. expert at the University of Delaware, called it a creditable analysis said she was not surprised at the results or that so many people had assumed that Mr. Kerry was smarter. "People will often be misled into thinking someone is brighter if he says something complicated they can't understand," Professor Gottfredson said.

Many Americans still believe a report that began circulating on the Internet three years ago, and was quoted in "Doonesbury," that Mr. Bush's I.Q. was 91, the lowest of any modern American president. But that report from the non-existent Lovenstein Institute turned out to be a hoax.

You might expect Kerry campaign officials, who have worried that their candidate's intellectual image turns off voters, to quickly rush out a commercial trumpeting these new results, but for some reason they seem to be resisting the temptation.

Upon hearing of their candidate's score, Michael Meehan, a spokesman for the senator, said merely: "The true test is not where you start out in life, but what you do with those God-given talents. John Kerry's 40 years of public service puts him in the top percentile on that measure."
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayummmmm!!! You shoulda put a spoiler on that post .... I coulda fallen outta my chair or somepin! Wink

THE NEW YORK TIMES?????

Shocked

I love Meehan's transparent attempt at spin at the end - that's good for a laugh! Very Happy

Good going, Sam!
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam - Congratulations! Very Happy You got your information into the NYT! Very Happy Thanks for all your hard work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
Sam:

Can't find the reader responses - article only. Is that the correct link?

Ooops! Just goes to prove that smart people do dumb things.

http://www.isteve.com/

Sam
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am as surprised as anyone. I am also probably happier than all of you. Please congratulate steve at SteveSlr@aol.com

No kidding - Wow!

Sam
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how about a little help getting this to the bloggers and other media outlets. My fingers are cramping and I have bruise on my mouse hand.

Sam
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
I am as surprised as anyone. I am also probably happier than all of you. Please congratulate steve at SteveSlr@aol.com

No kidding - Wow!

Sam

I have emailed Steve and expressed delight. We're proud of you both!
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
Ok, how about a little help getting this to the bloggers and other media outlets. My fingers are cramping and I have bruise on my mouse hand.

Sam

LOL I have a box of purple heart bandaids. I'll send you one. Though I do think you come closer to deserving one than you-know-who.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Steve

Yes, I spent an hour on the phone with John Tierney yesterday. I didn't want to mention it in case an editor spiked it. But now it's out.

Thanks for your sharp eyes.
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the NY Time coup, Navy Chief's promises of more to come, and all the blogging going on, we might still be able to eke out some October surprises!

From http://www.powerlineblog.com

We just Got a Tip...

...that a major newspaper will break a front-page story Monday morning that could create a serious problem for the Kerry campaign. We don't yet have any details, but it relates to a foreign policy issue, and it will call into question--amazingly enough--John Kerry's truthfulness.

We'll watch for the story Sunday night and post it as soon as it becomes available.

From http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=111671#111671
debewley wrote:
Navy Chief,
Some blogs are reporting a story to be printed in the Washington Times on Monday.
http://www.redstate.org/story/2004/10/23/83256/635

Any information you might add to this?

Just curious!!!
Dave

Dave,

There are two different extremely HOT items I'm working on at the moment... I'm not sure if this will be my stuff or someone else's. There is just so much out there for those who dig in the right places.

- Chief

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it! I might have to learn Navy Chief's "victory-butt" dance!

From http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=111671#111671
Navy Chief wrote:
I'm happy to fight alongside so many other great Americans!

I can't wait to do my famous victory-butt dance when the election results are in.
- Chief
granny23
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so great. The article is on its way to some people who think the N. Y. Times is the Bible. Now they will have to deal with it. Thanks!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Sewell wrote:
...I am comfortable with the accuracy of saying Kerry has an IQ of 115 to 118 as compared to Bush having an IQ of 125 to 128....

This is truly the greatest news. Now, I wonder if Sam or anyone else has comparable numbers for some other effete snobs on the left, e.g., Penn, Streisand, Sheen, Moore, Harkin, Biden, McAuliffe, Sarandon, Robbins, and many, many more. I would value greatly a list of these blowhards, sorted in the order of their intelligence. How sweet it is.
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that Bush is no dummy.

There are many ways to interpret IQ. There could be hundreds of quantifiable intelligence dimensions. There's got to be a 'political intelligence' dimension in there somewhere.

A jaundiced view-- If Bush measures 95th percentile (95 percent of the population measures lower)-- This means Bush is dumber than ~11.8 million USA citizens. It also means that Kerry is 'even more dumber'!

It isn't comforting that both contenders for Leader of the Free World are dumber than I am, because I'm nowhere near smart enough for the job (GRIN).

It is important how one develops natural talents. Given a long attention span and a work ethic, average guys can get VERY SMART on narrow specialties. Well-focused geniuses can become simply amazing. But poorly-focused geniuses wash out as complete failures.

It is common to find 'smart' folks skunked in bizness by 'dumb but wiley' guys. Perhaps there is a 'wiley horsetrader' intelligence dimension? Perhaps some 'dumb' guys score off the scale for 'wiley horsetrader', but some 'smart' guys score severely retarded in the 'wiley horsetrader' dimension? Perhaps the two scales could even be somewhat mutually exclusive?

From what I recall of 'Tests and Measurements' Psych-- High intelligence isn't strongly correlated with wealth, power or fame.

The wealthy and powerful tend to measure above average, but usually they do not reach the genius category. However, these guys do end up buying, selling, hiring and firing geniuses.

A notable exception is Bill Gates, who is almost certainly a genius. But you can bet Billy has numerous REALLY SMART guys playing step-n-fetchit! OTOH, how many folks would vote 'Rainman' Gates as President of the United States?

Consider Janeane Garafolo, who scored SAT 950 (unrecentered). That b$tch talks such a good game, perhaps she scored near 800 on Verbal. Given a probable incredibly low Math score, don't ever let her balance yer checkbook! NEVER hire Garafolo to design a bridge or solve real-world problems! (GRIN)
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
Sam Sewell wrote:
...I am comfortable with the accuracy of saying Kerry has an IQ of 115 to 118 as compared to Bush having an IQ of 125 to 128....

This is truly the greatest news. Now, I wonder if Sam or anyone else has comparable numbers for some other effete snobs on the left, e.g., Penn, Streisand, Sheen, Moore, Harkin, Biden, McAuliffe, Sarandon, Robbins, and many, many more. I would value greatly a list of these blowhards, sorted in the order of their intelligence. How sweet it is.

Not likely. All military people have a record of their IQ. IQ is less obvious for the rest of the population. However, if some want to research SAT and other scores to find out if prominate Democrats are smart or not here are the requirements for many tests that Mensa accepts.

California Test of Mental Maturity (CTMM) IQ 132

California Test of Cognitive Skills IQ 132

Cattell IQ 148

Cattell Culture Fair *

Stanford Binet, Form L-M IQ 132

Wechsler Adult and Children Scales
(WAIS and WAIS-R, WISC, WISC-R, WISC-III)
Note: Short form not accepted IQ 130

Otis-Lennon Tests IQ 132

Otis-Gamma Test IQ 131

PSAT (taken in junior year) prior to 5/93 180
effective 5/93 N/A

PSAT (taken in senior year) prior to 5/93 195
effective 5/93 N/A

SAT or CEEB scored prior to 9/30/74 1300
scored from 9/30/74 through 1/31/94 1250
scored after 1/31/94 N/A

LSAT prior to 1982 662
1982 through 5/91 39
effective 6/91 163

GRE prior to 5/94 (math + verbal) 1250
effective 5/94 (math + verbal + analytic) 1875

GMAT (Percentile rank of verbal + quantitative)**

ACT Composite prior to 9/89 29
effective 9/89 N/A

Miller Analogies Test (MAT) - Raw Score 66

Army GCT***
prior to 10/80 136
effective 10/80 N/A

Navy GCT***
prior to 10/80 68
effective 10/80 N/A

Henmon-Nelson *

NY State Regents Scholarship Test (aptitude section only) *

Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) *

N/A These tests no longer correlate with an IQ test. Note that the acceptance date applies to the date you took the test, not the date you join Mensa. You can still join Mensa by using older scores.
* Many intelligence test scores will qualify you for Mensa, but Mensa's supervisory psychologists will have to individually appraise the documentation. Almost any test with "achievement" in the title is not acceptable to Mensa. American Mensa does not accept unsupervised testing as proof of eligibility, specifically unsupervised testing administered electronically or via Internet-based tests.
** For the GMAT, unlike most tests, the qualifying score is based on the percentile of the total score. There are three columns on the score report, each with a numerical score and a percentile. You're looking for the percentile next to the score in the "total" column - if it's 95% or greater, the score qualifies you for Mensa.
*** The only scores that Mensa can accept are the AGCT scores from the Army and the GT scores from the Navy - before the use of the ASVAB (9/80). The new military tests are vocational aptitude tests and are not suitable for Mensa admission.

Mensa reserves the right to alter or change these scores as the tests shown are renormed or restandardized. Mensa will individually appraise all applications and reserves the right to make the final determination about the acceptability of any test.

Sam
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCJR!

That wins first place as a commentary on this issue since I began my research.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: