SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wear your medals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been asked to bring in the colors wearing my uniform this coming Sunday. Our son, who was two weeks old when I left for Vietnam, is Associate Pastor. I can't think of anything that would please me more than to bring in the colors of the United States of America and present them in the house of the Lord on the Sunday before the most important election in my lifetime.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hero here, I've my Good Conduct, Sea Service with 3 stars, NUC, and MUC but unit citations include an EM and 3 AEs whatever they are. Anyone?
tugboatphil
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidly,

First of all, Great screen name!!

What is your reference for these initials? Could EM be the Expeditionary Medal?

I will have to dig through the garage to find mine. I don't expect any harrassment at the poling place, as this is a rural, usually Republican stronghold. However, we've had a large influx of NY and Mass hippies in the last decade, so you never know. I have actually seen the only Kucinich bumper sticker in existence right here in Floyd County.

Don't Sweat the Mule Goin' Blind,
Just Keep Loadin' the Wagon.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
No hero here, I've my Good Conduct, Sea Service with 3 stars, NUC, and MUC but unit citations include an EM and 3 AEs whatever they are. Anyone?

Wear 'em with pride and humility! Remember we're not really wearing them for our own egos, but to remind people that once there was a war. For our 58,000 who cannot wear their medals.
The campaign and service medals do not speak to exceptional personal deeds - they speak to the fact you were there - and did very ordinary heroism and deeds. And in a country where few any more don the uniform, that itself is exceptional.
And we who have only the minor and routine medal serve as a backdrop to emphazise the few such as Col. Bud Day, who earned the big ones.

I served in the paddies and sand traps of Viet Nam; but I remain in awe of anyone who could actually do sea duty - even in time of peace. And having once been given a tour of a submarine by a college friend who was a junior officer on her, I remain convinced that the greatest hero is every man who could serve by going beneath the sea cooped up for months on end in a small "cigar tube". I could never do that.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy

Last edited by Rurik on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If challanged about the medals being supportave of GW> Bush just tell the challanger that you recieved them under President Kennedy, Johnson, or Nixon. They are not running therefore they do not support any present canidate. If challanged by a DNC Attorney simply ask him his name and his Bar number so you may file a complaint against him personally for trying to deny you your constitutional rights. Take the bluff out of the bluff. I don't know of an attorney that would jeopardize his license for John Kerry.
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that in Sacramento, CA, I wear my medals on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. (the little baby guys on my 1st Cav cap) When I do, I notice a soft unspoken appreciation from all that I come into contact with. They are noticeably more polite and attentive. I think most of the public know by now how Vietnam veterans were betrayed by Kerry in 1971. In honor of the names on the Wall in D.C. and to let everyone know we are a integral part of society, it should be an obvious show of support for our President and a protest against Kerry. Wear em proud.
stcromwell99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never issued medals for most of those "been there" awards. But I did get the ribbons. Are those allowed to be worn or must they be medals??
Islander
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribbons are the same as medals. Far as I know. Ribbons are wore as a short cut to the more formal decoration which would include the medals. The ribbon would match the ribbon above the medals. You can go online and order the full medal (which usually come with the ribbon).
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a FABULOUS idea !!!

I plan to go on my Harley with the American and POW flags waving proudly. I will wear my vest with the "US NAVY COMBAT VET" and "The Cost of Freedom is Written on the WALL" patches. On the front, I will add my full size gongs and aircrew wings.

My wife will also go on her Harley and add her Navy Reserve Good Conduct and National Defense medals

God bless you guys for all that you do for us! This site has been wonderful therapy for my battle with PTSD.

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik, TugBoatPhil, Thanks.

Being at sea is like being in jail with the option of drowning thrown in. -Samuel Johnson

The reference to EM and AE came from the Navy's Unit Award site. From the time frame, Stark missling to Roberts mining I take them to mean Navy Expeditionary and Armed Forces Expeditionary.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocsparky101 wrote:
If challanged about the medals being supportave of GW> Bush just tell the challanger that you recieved them under President Kennedy, Johnson, or Nixon. They are not running therefore they do not support any present canidate. If challanged by a DNC Attorney simply ask him his name and his Bar number so you may file a complaint against him personally for trying to deny you your constitutional rights. Take the bluff out of the bluff. I don't know of an attorney that would jeopardize his license for John Kerry.

I'd open with a slightly different gambit - "Sir, Why do you think these medals are a partisan statement? They have always been awarded non-partisanly to both Republicans and Democrats. Why do you have a problem?"
Then get their name,and if a lawyer - the bar number. Then bring it on back here and we can establish a wall of shame. You might also want to report the incident to your local media, and the local campaign office of the other political party.
For thirty five years that is the sort of person who has tried to keep us hidden in the closet. Now turnabout time has come.
Smoke 'em out and and then smoke 'em. Twisted Evil

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Weaponeer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this idea, and would like to see every vet wear his or her medals in support of the troops (past and present).

I would like to see this done nationally (hopefully someone will contact the RNC as well as BUSH-CHENEY '04, Inc. (Phone: 703.647.2700) to see if they would push it as well.

It's time for vets to show that they served with honor, by doing something so simple as wearing your medals. People would get to see ordinary looking people (of all ages) who they would never guess to be a vet, and many would find it a surprise to see that friends and neighbors were vets

Personally I would like to see all Vets wear the medals all day on NOV 2, and not just to the polls.

I'm a Gulf Vet (Desert Shield and Desert Storm) and at first I didn't like the idea of wearing my medals, but when I thought that wearing my medals would be in support of our troops (as well as to those who will never be able to wear them) I changed my mind and spent 20 minutes hunting for them in a junk drawer.

I'm no hero, but it would be considered an honor to wear then in support of our troops past and present, and to vote I only need to walk 50 feet so it's not like anyone will see my support other than the poll people, but I'm sure they do not know I'm a Vet, and I'm sure they will ask why I'm wearing them.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidly,
As one of this forum's activists you've become a hero again, and deserve a real medal - though one you'll never receive. Well, you'll receive that virtual medal in the minds of all of us here who know you, and in your own sea-lion heart.
Okay, so not as big a medal as NavyChief, and John O Neill - who get the biggest medals of all, or our tireless mods and admins. But still claim a medal, one each virtual in color, for your activism.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocsparky101 wrote:

Please get their names and bar number so we can add them to our wall of shame. On every Veterans day we will all chip in some $ and publish all the wall of shame members name and act of disrespect towards one of our veterans or troops and place it in the home town paper were the wall of shame member resides. We will probably need to buy a couple of full pages in the paper that services Hollywood, CA. If we do not stand up to these military bashing Americans they will do the same thing to this generation of troops like they did to the Vietnam era troops. Once we receive a public apology for their evil deed we will remove them from the wall of shame and cease publishing their name and act in their local paper.

Sort of our own kind of home town press release.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

Last edited by coldwarvet on Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
stcromwell99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik wrote:
But still claim a medal, one each virtual in color, for your activism.

So how about one of our more creative photoshop people come up with a vitual medal to award to the people who do great stuff here??? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: