SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whatever happens tomorrow....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:

By Rudyard Kipling

I have to disagree. First of all, Kipling - ugh. But not all soldiers are alike. One could write of the bravery of the Soviets against Hitler. But many were conscripts who had the choice of dying against Panzers or 'special treatment' units to their own rear. The British weren't much better. They were often butchers. One might not think of the terms - 'eroes' - if one were standing on the other side of the moor at Culloden, defending ones own freedom.

But American forces have shown restraint. This was particularly true in Vietnam. You see it right up to the present day - despite what a pathetic Michael Moore might say.

American forces have been different. They've set a standard which other civilized militaries seek to follow - and so the Brits, today. One can read in the Vietnam-era handouts to new soldiers of what was expected of them, and how they were to charitiably behave toward even enemy captives. Calley was prosecuted by the military, during which time the anti-war and Vietnam-controlled factions sought to appropriate it to their own seditious pupose. Similarly, the much less egregious abuse of the enemy seen in Abu Graib was prosecuted within the week that it was reported, and then only later appropriated, without achieving the similarly desired political 'bounce', by the leftwing's mainstream.

Zell Miller's reference to the old poem, which Chris Matthews at the time seemed to believe was something Zell wrote himself, is more appropriate in my opinion. And the words of that poem are not merely true, but should be recited in every schoolhouse across this country.

“It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.”

Fr. Dennis Edward O'Brian, Sargeant, USMC
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a long line but I got in my vote!!!

There were 2 people in lines in Hilliard Ohio that were not on the lists. One signed his name a demanded that he was now allowed to vote despite the problems. There was a judge on hand that decided he was to be given a provisional ballot but warned that since he signed his name, he had to be allowed to vote there. He had a smirk on his face and I think that was his game all along.

At the same time in another line, a lady dressed to the nines, gave a street address that did not exist in our city, she was told this and demanded a vote anyway. She too had that smirk. I had to wait until they straightened this mess out before anyone was allowed to vote but I suspect that they were both plants to disrupt a very busy polling place. The guy that led me to the voting booth said that this was the sixth one on the day ( only about 2.5 hours old). I expect more of the same during the rush hour.

This is a largely Republican area and the new 'provisional law' that Ohio started let's people of that county vote anywhere within the county. Despite her obvious false address, they had to allow her vote. They did the right thing and checked the box that said there were problems with her vote but I thought it a clever way to hold up or disrupt the voting process. On a cold rainy day some people are not willing to stand in those long lines.

Not too much can be done about this but it looked like a clear tactic to me.

I checked a while ago and people are still lined up in over an hour wait so it doesn't appear to be working.
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But back to the subject, if they were willing, I would like to meet with the Swiftees and POWs that have made all this possible. We could have them as guests of honor. I'm not rich nor do I have much influence, but I wish there was something we could do to thank them.

BTW- my son in the Navy express shipped his vote yesterday. It cost him $14 to do it but was afraid that they would attempt what they did in 2000. That is to toss military votes that they couldn't prove were stamped on time. Talk about not having your vote counted!!!!

Any that would attempt to deny the vote to our guys serving the country is truly an enemy of the people.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone is a Swift Boat Veteran and I do believe that some of the others do indeed visit here.
hmminCanada
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Whatever happens tomorrow Reply with quote

When I first came to this site back in August I was so full of curiosity. The more I read the more I wanted to participate so finally I had to register.

I am the product of an inter-national marriage. My father was a Canadian serving in the army during the liberation of Holland and France in WWII. My mother was an American with a family history that goes back almost to the War of Independence, maybe further. I was born in Missouri and there must be something about the water there because I have always been a "Show me" kind of girl. Even though now I've had to live in Canada for some time, I am and always will be an American. I came here and you guys (and gals) sure did "show me!"

I really didn't know much about the Vietnam War except I read a book that described some Viet Cong atrocities that had me rolling off my chair onto the floor crying in horror. I will never forget that night and you might say that that moment SEARED--SEARED into my heart a hatred for communism and every other kind of ideaology that could arise to threaten liberty and a peaceful way of life for myself, my family and everyone else that wanted it.

After that I kept away from the subject and I never watched any of the movies that have been made because I just didn't want to see this kind of violence, and I guess I believed I would see American forces portrayed in a bad light.

The news channels in Canada, especially CBC, are basically very anti-American and anti-Bush.They have run documentaries which were advertized to be about terrible things Americans did to the people of Vietnam. I didn't watch them and my secret hope is that no one really bothers to watch ithe CBC, a government-sponsored network, anyway.

I guess everything I thought I knew was based on the legacy of the war protest, the VVAW and John Kerry. Now I know, I knew nothing.

But at this momentous time in history, I have had the privilege of meeting all of you through this website. I am so thankful for all that has been accomplished and I am so proud to be an American. I know Americans are good people and this board is strong evidence of that fact. Here is a big ((((HUG))) for all of you.

One battle is over but the war is not yet won! God bless you all.

Carolyn and my husband and son feel the same.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJB wrote:

Swifties, I am with you today, tomorrow and beyond. You have only to call and I will be there.

We stand to serve you and your cause.

I lost three first cousins in Vietnam. One of them was career Army. He finished one complete one year tour of duty In Country and then volunteered for a second tour. During his second tour he was blown to pieces by a landmine. All the Army sent home was his head and his hands in a sealed casket. His parents did not want to bury the remains without being sure that that was their son. My uncle stood there as they opened the casket and he identified his son's head and hands. My uncle was never the same.

I cannot thank all of you enough for your service in Vietnam and also for what you have done by stepping forward to tell the truth about John Kerry. You are speaking for my three cousins who voices were silenced many years ago. At last I feel as if the country appreciates their love for this country and the sacrifice that they made.

I do not know if this Forum will remain open or not, but if there is ever anything that I can do to help you SwiftVets and POWs bring John Kerry to the justice that he deserves just let me know. I'll leave my E-mail on here until you close this Site - if you do.

God Bless you ALL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: