SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales from your polling place? PLEASE Post here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granny23
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted at 11 AM. (in Louisiana) There was no one in line and they told me half the precinct had already voted. There is another precinct voting in the same location. The precinct includes a large retirement home and there was an hour wait.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied over from separate post:

ontheright wrote:
I'm in Michigan on the western side of the state. It used to be a predominantly Conservative area but hasn't been so since Klinton.

I stood in line and chatted with an elderly lady this morning. As we approached the table to sign in she wasn't found on the list. My ears perked up but it seems she was at the wrong polling place. Was supposed to be at the Fire Station right next door. No biggy except she was going to have to wait again.

Has anyone encountered any problems today?

carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted last week, but I had two voter's registration cards in my hand when I approached the poll worker. Her eyes got a little big and she said, "Two registration cards?"

I said "Yes I'd like to vote twice but I just realized I'm not in Florida" with my most dazzling smile. She didn't think it was a bit funny.

Everyone in line cracked up.

BTW The extra card was my mom's and she recently died and I was turning it in.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied over from another post:

BPC69 wrote:

1 Vote for Bush/Cheney in NY successfully executed

... no problems. Would have liked to have stuck around for a while and swung that lever a few thousand more times. hehe.

Go W!

BPC69

ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got finished voting in Dublin, OH during the lunch hour. Surprisingly, the line was only about 30 minutes long. I asked the poll worker if they'd had any provisional ballots yet (since the big controversy here over it) and he said they have only had two. He also said from when they opened today until I was there, they had all 3 voting booths full non-stop. I am young myself (24), and there were two young girls (probably Ohio State students) in front of me, one went to the wrong place to vote (needed to go to school in next precinct over) and unfortunately they were both voting for Kerry. I overheard them talking and they said Bush was going to end the world because he is going to start a nuclear war ---and they said it with a straight face. Other than these two misguided souls, everything was completely normal and went smooth as silk!

Last edited by ord33 on Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
I said "Yes I'd like to vote twice but I just realized I'm not in Florida" with my most dazzling smile. She didn't think it was a bit funny.

Very Happy No sense of humor with these polling officials, hm?
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Voting Reply with quote

mdcrandall wrote:
A friend sent me this funny notice.

Quote:
NEWS FLASH

Please remember that, because of the high turnout expected at the polls this year, people voting for Bush will be voting on Tuesday, November 2nd, and people voting for Kerry will be voting on Wednesday, November 3rd.

Be sure to remind your friends.

If we send it to CBS news do you think they will announce it as valid --- they aren't real good about checking things out?

*chuckle*

mdcrandall
Proud to be
#3 Son of Snake

Do't joke about this. You know very well that in Florida 2000, they were still casting votes for Gore a week after the poll closed - and counting 'em too! I'm sure that on the reservations voting will continue through tomorrow. Twisted Evil

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
fb274
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early voting in Bush's "early" hometown--4th day of early voting gave us a waiting time of approximately 15 min. Was shocked to see as many at the poles. Naturally, 2 votes for Bush from this household.

Had super weather when voting--mid 80's----today, 35% and when taking little granddaughter to school we had light snow flurries. Unreal this early in West Texas.

Morning paper indicated 42% of "eligible" cast early vote.

Bush Country, Tx.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
carpro wrote:

Very Happy No sense of humor with these polling officials, hm?

If looks could kill... Wink

Not even in Texas where it's usually safe to vote.

To my knowledge, the dead haven't voted here since LBJ was elected to the Senate. Very Happy
MACVJOE
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted #17 in line at 0700. Detroit Metro As we were standing around, discussing weather etc, someone mentioned polls, and young folks with cell phones would proably have impact. Well there were 6 of us talking 4 of us only have cell and I was youngest(59). So much for that theory. Best I could figure from folks around me 4 Bush 2 Kerry. Big Union Area. Also last night at GOTV a car drives up with Kerry/ Edwards Bumper Sticker. Guy gets out opens trunk and all sorts of GOP Signs. He worked at Ford was a member of Union, got Kerry Edwards sticker to keep car from getting keyed. He was a BIG Bush Supporter.
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incredible! I have to wait in line 1:45 minutes to vote and it’s normally a walk right proposition. I live in Northern Virginia which is typically votes for the Democrats. Judging from the Bush vs. Kerry sample ballots, a ratio of 8:2 in favor of the President, I think we’re headed to a landslide in Virginia. I also got a haircut and all four males in the chairs were voting for Bush. I got to listen to a full Kerry bashing, including from one of the Vietnamese barbers. I am feeling good!
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(also posted on "The Word IS getting out" before I saw this topic):

I voted, got in line at 06:50, behind about 50 people.
2 "poll watchers" inside the church, took me 1:45 this time, usually takes 20 minutes max.
Got outside, Moveon had their "booth" setup.
Election official came out and told them to move on, at least 100 feet away.

Got to work, had a message waiting.
Turned out to be a guy I've not seen for 10+ years, asking "was it me in the religious study group with his wife? call back".
Called back. His wife answered. THIS IS THE GOOD PART:

She said he was not home, was an election official this time.
She said she was worried, she had heard MoveOn had booths set up.
I verified that. She was more concerned (this lady is about 75).
I told her not to worry, there wouldn't be any violence.

She then told me she'd already voted, and was disappointed she couldn't vote for Kerry, because she doesn't like Bush.
BUT SHE VOTED FOR BUSH, because she'd been hearing about his connection with Communists, from people who were in some "groups", and there were apparently some articles in newspapers. (This lady is 75% blind)

She told me she didn't know if it was true, but she couldn't take the chance.
I then told her what group I was "part of", told her all that was true.
She asked me why I'd never mentioned that to her.
I told her it was a religious study group, I liked her a lot, and she seemed like the kind of person who could make an intelligent decision without my input.

She said she didn't feel bad about voting for Bush now, and looked forward to seeing me tomorrow night.
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy voted this morning in Mesa, AZ. Waited about 20 min. in line 2 younger ladies behind me apx. 18-25 talking about how Kerry cannot be trusted! Yeaaahh!
My daughter(12 yrs old) did the "KIds Vote" this morning filled out for Bush right there in front of Polling guy- his quote "she knows what she's doing Wink "
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the 888th voter in Precinct 8 in America's Hometown today.

Absolutely no line at lunchtime.

As I was leaving, I had to wait for traffic. I picked up a sign off my front seat (from the 9/12 DC rally - KERRY CALLED US EVIL MEN) and flashed it at the campaign workers holding their placards. They were holding both Democrat & Republican signs. After a split-second hesitation, they all cracked up. Got a few thumbs up as I pulled onto the main road.

Made my day! Theirs too, I hope.

Funeral tonight in Boston.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:

She then told me she'd already voted, and was disappointed she couldn't vote for Kerry, because she doesn't like Bush.
BUT SHE VOTED FOR BUSH, because she'd been hearing about his connection with Communists, from people who were in some "groups", and there were apparently some articles in newspapers. (This lady is 75% blind)

She told me she didn't know if it was true, but she couldn't take the chance.
I then told her what group I was "part of", told her all that was true.
She asked me why I'd never mentioned that to her.
I told her it was a religious study group, I liked her a lot, and she seemed like the kind of person who could make an intelligent decision without my input.

She said she didn't feel bad about voting for Bush now, and looked forward to seeing me tomorrow night.

Amen and hallelujah!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: