SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hollywood nervous about movie attendance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamer51
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpage,

Thanks for the kind words about Kentucky. He will get much support
here from his action since E-Town/Radcliff is the home of Fort Knox.
Many Vets settle in this area after spending time stationed there
and of course it is a military town due to such a large base location.

Jim
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALITY CHECK:

At 10 cents a showing in only a hundred screens per week 1939's "Gone With the Wind" remains the biggest film of all time. Theater attendence has trended steadily down since 1948. '48 does not represent the appearance of TV but the anti-trust seperation of studios and theaters. Theaters were obliged to find other ways to put warm butts in seats without studio extortion. With a brief burp in the '70s from "Godfather", "Jaws" et.al. (which Beta/VHS quickly squelched) film has not regained its prominence. Theaters (megaplexes) were grotesquely overbuilt in the 90's. Release today's wannabe 'blockbuster' on 2500 screens produces numbers even if the theaters are half empty. They don't survive the week and even promotion evaporates. Straight to DVD satisfies many marketing managers for the current losers. The stars are paid too much, the producers self replicate to take up any slack, the contractees are shorted and Oscar pats its back. Were it not for the 'product placements' who'ld really give a sh*t?

Only the irrational attachment to 'celebrity' sustains today's stars. Where Meyer hid the details today's stars fabricate the substance. They're all whores.

You can live a long and satisfying life and never see a Hollywood production....and be better for it!

Still..."The Wizard of Oz" does something to me I can't explain.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a couple of grandkids to see the last Harry Potter movie on the
day that it opened at the 7:00 PM showing. The theater was only a
little over half full. No line.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an e-mail I received:

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movies/Movie.aspx?prodid=PRT025194DVD

Quote:
May 17, 2005 is the release date for the DVD of the movie [b]" Team America: World Police ".[/b]
This animated puppet movie by South Park producer Trey Parker was a vital tool which we used to reach young voters in the 2004 election.
Hanoi John Kerry's mythical dream of a massive uprising of young Kommies for Kerry rushing to the polls to support the anybody but Bush war hero was dealt a final and devastating blow by this film.
This week we have seen Hanoi Jane Fonda's movie " Monster In Law " rise to be number 1 at the box office.
I think it would be appropriate to spread the word to all "red stater types" to go out and buy Trey's DVD as our way of saying thanks for the support.
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movies/Movie.aspx?prodid=PRT025194DVD
PS: I am asking you to buy the DVD. You do not have to watch it. It is probably offensive to everyone ... but its role as a successful political tool at a critical time in our country's history can not be denied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: