SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawrence O'Donnell: "It was Rove"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNN said
Quote:
But, what would he have to gain by leaking that information? It's pretty clear that he was not a full-supporter of this administration, but would he go that far, do you think?

I only brought up Powell, because the leak was supposedly a member of the Administration, and running through all the names, Powell is the only one who the press has any regard for. He was seen as the only moderate in a sea of hard nosed hawks.

I don't believe that Powell would have been looking to gain anything.

Novak wondered why Joe Wilson was selected to go to Niger. Maybe he called Powell because of Wilson's background at the State Dept.
Powell is talking to a friendly journalist and he unwittingly mentions the Plame connection.

Novak DID say that the name just came up in a conversation with the source, and that Plame was not identified as an agent. Just that she worked at the CIA.

The more I think about it, I respect Powell enough to believe he would have just come forward and said "I let something slip" and not let this big investigation go on.

The only thing I hold against Powell is that he is too much of a "moderate"
And his insistence on playing out the diplomatic route through the U.N. which I believe gave Saddam time to move WMDs out of Iraq.

Also, his smearing of Bolton for U.N. Ambassador. That just gave the Dems more artillary to deny Bolton's appointment.

edit to fix quotee/kate
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
On a little different track now.
Just wondering if Colin Powell may have been the leaker.
He was the ONE SOURCE in the Administration that the reporters WOULD want to protect!
And he would have been familiar with Valerie Plame since Joe Wilson was a former Ambassador.

dunno about Powell, he certainly had axes to grind, and has, ie what he did with Bolton. But, you made a good point , who would the reporters want to protect? Certainly wouldn't be Rove , and anyway, he signed that waiver....So who?

Paging Drudge
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate, thanks for correcting my quotee!

Talking about Powell and the Bolton nomination got me thinking.

BOLTON!!!

He has been the Under Secretary of State For Arms Control since 2001.
i.e.-controlling the proliferation of nuclear weapons and WMDs.

Valerie Plame is an analyst/operative (whatever) at the CIA working on WMD issues.

Connection???? Think about the Bolton nomination fight.

The current stumbling block is over some NSC/CIA documents that the
Dems demanded the White House provide. The WH let them see the docs/memos but the names were scrubbed/blackened. They are now
refusing to have a vote on Bolton until they know what names are on the
NSC/CIA memos. WHY?? And some Pubs (Voinovich et al) turning against Bolton.
I had chalked this up to just being delaying tactics but
there's something bigger there.

As Sec/State for Arms Control, Bolton sits on NSC meetings.
Do the Dems think Plame's name is on those memo/docs?
Was Plame one of the people at CIA that Bolton wanted fired?

Reports were that he was angered that certain people at CIA were not analysing intelligence accurately.
We know that Plame arranged for Joe Wilson to go to Niger and come back with a fake report which
was later proven to be false.

Are the Dems trying to make the connection between Bolton and Plame
and make him the Leaker??
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, July 4, 2005 9:02 a.m. EDT

Lawrence O'Donnell: No Crime in Plame Case

"MSNBC commentator Lawrence O'Donnell, who broke the news Friday that notes taken by Time magazine's Matthew Cooper indictate that top Bush advisor Karl Rove leaked the name of CIA employee Valerie Plame to columnist Robert Novak, said Sunday it's likely that Rove broke no laws.

Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, acknowledged on Saturday that his client had indeed spoken to Cooper before the Novak column hit in July 2003. But Luskin insisted that Rove never revealed Plame's identity."

~snip~
" The MSNBC talker said he had studied extensively the statute allegedly broken in the Plame case, concluding that is "a very difficult statute to violate."

For one thing, he said, "Perhaps [Plame] really wasn't a covert agent - doesn't fit the statute's definition of covert agent. I think that's possible."

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/4/90335.shtml

yada yada yada Rolling Eyes
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "Silk Purse Out Of A Sow's Ear" department, more equivocation from "Time" and Matt Cooper... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
The New York Times criticized Time Inc.'s decision to hand over material--publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. said he was "deeply disappointed"--and said it backed Miller's refusal to testify. Cooper was stoically diplomatic: "There's honor in obeying an order backed by the Supreme Court. There's honor in civil disobedience. I wish Time Inc. had tried to hold out longer against handing over papers that identified my sources. But there's surely principle in both decisions."

Time - cont'd

The "principle" involved here is "Get Bush", no matter how they try to sugar-coat it. The spin is patently self-serving and ludicrous.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound to simple but I think she was inadvertantly outted by her own husband. Semper Fi.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roughfun said
Quote:
This might sound to simple but I think she was inadvertantly outted by her own husband. Semper Fi.

Good thought, Roughfun. But I wonder if it was inadvertent. Wilson was talking to reporters in May and June, 2003. He was the anonymous source for other news stories before his own article attacking the President on July 6, 2003.

Was he setting things up?? We know that he and his wife were anti-Bush. The more I read about this guy, he is a very under-handed operator. These reporters even turned on him eventually, realizing they had been duped

From the Timeline at:

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/footnotes/2004/07/the_joseph_wils.html

May 6, 2003: "Missing in Action: Truth", The New York Times, Nicholas Kristof: This column was the first to reveal the Feb. 2002 Niger trip; it doesn't mention Wilson, but we later learn (WaPo, Oct 12, 2003) he was a source. (See also Vanity Fair, Jan 17, 2004)

June 12, 2003: "CIA Did Not Share Doubt on Iraq Data", The Washington Post, Walter Pincus (or WaPo link): The Washington Post elaborates on Kristof's column, describes what happened with the CIA report; Wilson was also a source on this piece, which will get mentioned in the Senate Intelligence report.

June 13, 2003: "White House in Denial", Nick Kristof
Condoleezza Rice was asked on "Meet the Press" on Sunday about a column of mine from May 6 regarding President Bush's reliance on forged documents to claim that Iraq had sought uranium in Africa. That was not just a case of hyping intelligence, but of asserting something that had already been flatly discredited by an envoy investigating at the behest of the office of Vice President Dick Cheney.

Oooh, that didn't stand up to the final Senate report. My commentary.
(appears blank but scroll scroll down half a page to the Commentary)

July 6, 2003: Enough prequel! The article that started it all: Ambassador Wilson, "What I Didn't Find in Africa".
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that she was working covertly during this time period for 2 reasons.

An excerpt of Novak’s October 1 column
1) "How big a secret was it? It was well known around Washington that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA....Her name, Valerie Plame, was no secret either, appearing in Wilson's "Who's Who in America" entry"

2) From this opening remark on Geraldo Rivera show, dated September 21, 2002, I am led to believe that old Joe and Plame were recently blessed with TWINS.
Quote:
"JOSEPH WILSON, FORMER U.S. AMBASSADOR TO IRAQ: Well, good evening, Geraldo.
Let me just for openers, I hear your outrage at the mother who beat her child. And as a father of twins, I share that."

I don't think that a mother of TWINS would continue working undercover. I know that left is Luni, but as Joe stated, he was outraged by the mother who beat her child, so there is a shred of decency in there some where.

This quote is from a September 21, 1990 Newsday article. I am only adding it so you might get a good laugh when you read how Joe Wilson is described.. Laughing Laughing

Quote:
JosephWilson, the American charge d'affaires in Baghdad, is a cigar--smoking, beer--bellied man who met twice a day
with American reporters and allowed us the use of the embassy's facilities. He is an Africa expert, not a Middle East man,
posted to Baghdad to broaden his horizons. On the day of the invasion the ambassador, April Glaspie, was on vacation, so
Wilson has been in charge.
As some of us were saying goodbye, we asked if he thought there would ever be negotiations between Iraq and the
United States.
"You bet," he said. "We're going to negotiate as if our lives depended on it." There was no smile on his face as he said
it.

His last sentence is a bit telling though. A good site for information is LEAKGATE

I have not seen anyone reference Valerie's TWINS anywhere yet, so please help spread the word as it might show that either she is a bad mother, or a retired CIA agent.

SBD

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOW: CNN NEWSNIGHT AARON BROWN 10:00 PM EST
March 9, 2005 Wednesday

Quote:
BROWN: The newsmaker we profile tonight in our continuing anniversary series "Then and Now" is Joseph Wilson, a man whose name is still very much in the news. And so is the name of his wife, Valerie Plame. Her undercover identity at the CIA was compromised in 2003. That leak prompted an investigation by the Justice Department that is still going on.

So, a look back now at how it unfolded.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BROWN (voice-over): Former Ambassador Joseph Wilson was a frequent TV guest analyst during the buildup to the latest war in Iraq, until he publicly challenged 16 words in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union speech.

GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.

BROWN: In an op-ed piece in "The New York Times," Wilson claimed the White House used discredited intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. Shortly after that article appeared, Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, was named in a newspaper column as a CIA operative. That public outing cost Plame, pictured here in "Vanity Fair," her career at the agency.

Wilson claimed her coverage was blown by the White House, revenge, she said, for speaking out. JOSEPH WILSON, FORMER U.S. AMBASSADOR: Nobody knows the name of the person who put the 16 words in the president's State of the Union address. Everybody knows my name. Everybody knows my wife's name.

BROWN: Wilson went on to write a memoir called "The Politics of Truth," due out in paperback this year. Now he spends much of his time with his 4-year-old twins, Trevor and Samantha, and continues to be an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

WILSON: When I got into this debate, it was not as a Democrat or as a Republican. It was as an American who believed that the most solemn duty a government ever has is that decision to send Americans to kill and to die in the name of our country.

So if the TWINS are four in 2005, then they must have been 2 or 3 when she was supposedly outed. I would bet she started working part time after the twins were born and only in a administrative role. She got her husband to go investigate the Africa story and SHE retaliated against the President for telling everyone how hubby Joe got the assignment by claiming her cover was blown. The CIA should be dismantled!!

I was just thinking that maybe Valerie told those WMD associates of hers that she was testing a new Terrorist Mega-Ton Strap-on Bomb disguised as a pregnancy of TWINS. You can pack double the explosives from the previous years model. What a shame her cover was blown cause I'm sure she was selling them like hot cakes.

SBD

SBD
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another disingenuous piece in New York Times today.
Just a nice couple, Mom and apple pie.
Yeah, sure! More like lefty anti-Bush, anti-war couple who may have conspired to alter Bush war policy!!

Quote:
Private Spy and Public Spouse Live at Center of Leak Case
By SCOTT SHANE
Published: July 5, 2005

WASHINGTON- For nearly two years, the investigation into the leak of a covert C.I.A. officer's name has unfolded clamorously in the nation's capital, with partisan brawling on talk shows, prosecutors interviewing President Bush and top White House officials, and the imminent prospect that reporters could go to jail for contempt of.....

~snip~
Their marriage was her second and his third; he is also the father of 26-year-old twins from his first marriage. Friends say that after the birth of their twins in 2000, Ms. Wilson suffered postpartum depression, which prompted her to become active in helping other mothers.

The Wilsons have had a low-key social life, friends say. Mr. Wilson said they had attended only one "A-list Washington party," given by Ben Bradlee, the retired Washington Post editor. Before July 2003, some neighbors knew them from the playground only as "Trevor and Samantha's mom and dad."

Their turn in the limelight changed that temporarily, as liberal celebrities embraced them; they were honored in late 2003 at a dinner at the guesthouse of the television producer Norman Lear, with guest list that included Warren Beatty.

The couple's actions in 2002 have become, in the polarized politics of the Iraq war, subject to divergent interpretation. All agree that Mr. Wilson traveled to Niger in February 2002 at the C.I.A.'s request to assess reports that Saddam Hussein had tried to buy uranium there. There the agreement ends.

In the version of his Republican critics, laid out in part by members of the Senate Intelligence Committee last year, Mr. Wilson's trip was a junket orchestrated by his wife. Further, the critics say, Mr. Wilson's findings on the uranium question were equivocal. But as a partisan Democrat, they say, he exploited his minor involvement to attack the president, asserting that Mr. Bush misled the American people by citing the questionable uranium claim in his 2003 State of the Union address.

Mr. Wilson has laid out his own account in interviews and in his memoir, "The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies That Led to War and Betrayed My Wife's C.I.A. Identity." The 514-page book, which features on the back cover photographs of Mr. Wilson with the first President Bush, President Bill Clinton and Saddam Hussein, has sold 60,000 copies in hardcover, according to the publisher, Carroll & Graf. The just-published paperback includes an 11,000-word essay by Russ Hoyle, an investigative reporter recruited by Carroll & Graf to examine factual disputes raised by the case.

Mr. Wilson said that though his wife wrote a memorandum describing his expertise at the request of a C.I.A. superior, she did not propose him for the Niger trip. He scoffs at the notion that a trip to one of the poorest countries on earth, for which he was paid only his expenses, was some kind of prize.

He has acknowledged he may have misspoken about a few details, like the date he became aware of forged documents purporting to show a uranium sale. But conservatives' attacks on his credibility, he said, are merely an effort to distract Americans from a far graver fact: that the United States went to war on the basis of flimsy, distorted evidence.

"I'm deeply saddened that the debate before the war did not adequately take into consideration issues that a number of us had raised," Mr. Wilson said.

While his wife has shunned publicity, he has become an always-available news media voice, lending the weight of international experience and insider status to criticism of Mr. Bush's conduct of the war.~snip~

Full article at NEW YORK TIMES
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN

Novak: 'I will reveal all'
CNN's Ed Henry Interview with Novack June 30
following a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court not to hear an appeal in the case of the subpoenaed records from journalist Matt Cooper

<snip>
Quote:

NOVAK: Well, that's what I can't reveal until this case is finished. I hope it is finished soon. And when it does, I agree with Mr. Safire, I will reveal all in a column and on the air.

HENRY: Do you understand why in general there's frustration among fellow journalist[s] after 41 years of distinguished work, where you've always pushed and been a fierce advocate of the public's right to know, you're not letting the public know about such a critical case, and two people may go to jail.

NOVAK: Well, they are not going to jail because of me. Whether I answer your questions or not, it has nothing to do with that. That's very ridiculous to think that I am the cause of their going to jail. I don't think they should be going to jail.

HENRY: Yes. But I didn't say you were the cause. But there are some people...

NOVAK: Yes, you do did.

HENRY: No, but some people feel if you would come forward with the information that you have, that maybe they would not go to jail.

NOVAK: But you don't know -- Ed, you don't know anything about the case. And those people who say that don't know anything about the case. And unfortunately, as somebody who likes to write, I'd like to say a lot about the case, but because of my attorney's advice I can't. But I will. And there might be some surprising things.

HENRY: We'll all be waiting to hear that story finally told, Bob.

Surprising things...like maybe Wilson leaked himself, or it was a Dem?

Cuz who really thinks that Matt Cooper (husband to Hillary's adviser, Mandy Grunwald) would go to this much trouble covering for Karl Rove
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Novak stated in 2003!

Novak: 'No great crime' with leak
Wednesday, October 1, 2003 Posted: 5:38 PM EDT (2138 GMT)

~snip~
"Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this," Novak said on "Crossfire." "There is no great crime here."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/09/29/novak.cia/
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Scooter Libby, of Vice President Cheney's staff.

Big deal. Very Happy
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller goes to jail, but…

FoxNews
<snip>
Quote:
....reporter Matt Cooper , of Time magazine, is a free man after abruptly changing his mind and agreeing to testify about the source of Plame's identity. As recently as last week, Cooper refused to hand over his e-mails to and notes on his source. Over his objections, Time magazine gave them to Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald (search) anyway.

"Even though the prosecutor has all that information, I was prepared to go and remain in civil contempt because I had given my word to my source for two years, which I have kept," Cooper said after the hearing.

"This morning, in what can only be described as a stunning set of developments, that source agreed to give me a specific, personal and unambiguous waiver to speak before the grand jury," Cooper told reporters outside the Washington, D.C., courthouse.

so Cooper's source gave him a keep-out-of-jail-free-card

we know Rove signed a waiver long ago, so cant' be him

the speculation continues.....

tossing out ...Tenet?
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate said
Quote:
the speculation continues.....

tossing out ...Tenet?

Tenet is a good possibility. Novak could have been questioning him as to why the CIA sent Wilson to Niger rather than an experienced agent.
Tenet may have let slip that Wilson's wife recommended him.
Novak said that his source never told him that Wilson's wife was an 'agent' or that security or lives could be endangered.
That's a subtle clue, certainly Novak would have expected the CIA Director to warn him not to publish the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: