SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

**** Exactly what Kerry records are missing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane:

Afraid you're barking up the wrong tree re: your allegation of Kerry's DD 215 changing the effective date of Kerry's transfer to inactive duty. Block 11.d. of the DD214 releasing him from active duty posted on Kerry's web site clearly shows the transfer to be effective 1 Mar 1970. (This is page 2 of the DD214 document posted on Kerry's web site; page 1 is the DD214 where he transitioned from enlisted to commissioned status on completion of OCS.)

jwbarden:

There's actually a much less sinister explanation for Kerry's request for a DD215.

The DD214 releasing Kerry from active duty does not list any service stars for his Vietnam Campaign Medal, nor does it list any VIetnamese or Unit Decorations. My guess (I haven't researched it) is that the Swiftboat unit to which Kerry was assigned - or the Gridley - was authorized unit decorations and/or Vietnamese decorations and that Kerry was technically entitled to campaign participation credit for 4 Vietnam campaigns. These were not reflected on his "exit" DD214, and indeed some could have been formally authorized after Kerry left active duty (hell, the Army is still futzing around with unit decorations for the most recent Iraq war, and has also recently amedned rosters of campaign credit for the FIRST Gulf War). It's my guess that Kerry decided in 2001 that he might want to run for President and started then "burnishing" his records by requesting a DD215 to reflect all those Unit and Foreign citations he was authorized but that didn't appear on his original DD214.

Now, that doesn't explain why he didn't request to have the "Combat V" error regarding his Silver Star on his DD214 corrected. Seems to me that if he (or his staff) researched the issue of foreign and unit decorations well enough to determine he was authorized a bunch, they would have found that error as well. I'd love an explanation as to why correction of that "whopper" wasn't requested.

Don't get me wrong; I do not support and will not vote for Kerry. However, false criticism does nothing but give Kerry's supporters ammo for discrediting his critics.
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: DD-214 Reply with quote

Hondo: You are correct. The source of my confusion is this:

Kerry's RELACDU orders from COMSTSLANT Brooklyn, NY dated 2JAN70 detach him at 1600 that date with one day travel/proceed to his HOR and relaese him from active duty at 2400 3JAN70. The days of service of all kinds on his DD-214 add up to the date of this RELACDU. The days from 3JAN70 to 1MAR70 (56 days) are unaccounted for on the DD-214. Nothing sinister about this, it's just irregular, and I don't attach any importance to it.

Upon rereading the DD-215, it does NOT change the separation date of the original DD-214. The awards listed appear to be those that should have been listed on the original document.

I stand by my statement that Kerry's assignment to COMSTSLANT was the result of irregular detailing influenced by some kind of super social connection. I want to see Kerry's dream sheet from his last period of sea duty and I want to know how he landed in the aide billet within days of his unexpected departure from RVN.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbarden:

There is in fact a potential legit explaintion for that 56 day deviation.

As I figure it from his DD214s, Kerry was on AD for a total of somewhat over 3 yrs 4 mo. During that period he would have accrued roughly 100 days leave (not sure how the Vietnam-era Navy handled leave accrual during partial months of service).

1 year 7 months of his AD were foreign/sea service, during which he presumably didn't have much opportunity to take leave. Another roughly 4 months were in OCS. Probably another chunk was spent in other formal schooling.

That didn't leave him much time to take his accrued leave. Further, I believe even during Vietnam he could have carried any leave in excess of 60 days across FY boundaries if he was deployed at sea or to a Combat zone at the end of the FY (I believe current policy is to do allow this, at least for Combat zone service). If he only took 10 days or so of leave during the rest of his time on AD, he could have had a large chunk of accrued leave saved.

Therefore, when he left AD he may have simply had too much leave to take as terminal leave between issue of the orders releasing him from AD and their effective date. Some leave would perforce have been paid; the rest would have been taken as terminal leave. Kerry's "exit" DD214 shows 31 days paid leave.

Even in peacetime, it's possible to have more than 60 days leave available for terminal leave. The first time I left AD I took 69 days terminal leave.

It's also possible chicanery was involved. We'd have to see either his complete leave or pay records (pay records would show leave balances, I think) to sort this out. I frankly doubt we'll ever see either made public.

As for his assignment: I think it's reasonably likely this was the result of political influence. His family was reputedly rather well connected. Moreover, there is ample precident: JFK during World War II (his initial assignment was to DC and was "cushy"; reputedly, what got him sent to the Pacific was blabbing confidential info to a foreign-national lover) and for Teddy after he got thrown out of Harvard for cheating (posted to embassy duty in Paris - a true "penalty tour").
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Release Procedures Reply with quote

I must admit that I have never seen transfers orders to the Inactive Reserve. But I saw my own retirement orders and they made a distinction between leave and the effective date of retirement. It seems to me that if Kerry had accrued leave, the orders would have mentioned that and would have shown the effective date of transfer as being March. Something just doesn´t smell correct to me. I wonder what he did during the first two months after transfer to the Inactive Reserve.

Dane
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane wrote:
What we need is someone in D.C. that can do some dedicated reasearch in the archives and try to find absolute proof of lies.

http://www.history.navy.mil/

explains the Historical Center.

In mathematics, if only ONE exception to a theory can be found , the entire theory is a bust. If we can find one absolute, unequivocable example of a lie, the entire house of cards will fall.

Dane
sunny winter day in Chile

I think we already have TWO -- one in video for after the war (described elsewhere) and the other in that Kerry's Bronze Star citations says he was wounded in the arm but the Spot Report has him wounded in the THIGH.

Tour of Duty has him describing the "Rice Cache" which put the wound in his butt -- and this is confirmed by pretty much everyone.

Rassmann's story falls if Kerry's arm is NOT bleeding.

You can argue "enemy fire"/"no enemy fire" all day and the true believers and biased press will just say "Who can tell after 35 years" or "none of the documents support the SwiftVets."

Well, I believe the documents on Kerry's own website (citation and spot report) show FALSIFICATION -- or at worst that "documents do get it wrong."

On the issue of the archives, I have someone in Arlington/Crystal City but I need to call in a big favor so you have to give me pretty specific instructions....

(I will check the link to the place meantime....)
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can also bet your jungle boots that the Kerry campaign already has every last piece of these records.

Won't matter. Kerry can't have the originals from St Louis - government property.

- instigator
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: terminal leave Reply with quote

Hondo:

Terminal leave won't cut it in explaining the unaccounted for 56 days.

You can't be on leave unless you are on active duty.

Kerry was released from active duty effective 2400 3JAN70, following one day of travel/proceed. At the time of his RELACDU orders, he had 31 days on the books. In such cases, the servicemember usually has the option of remaining on active duty for the period of terminal leave (in which case he draws full pay, allowances, and benefirts for the leave period) or else cashing out the accrued leave, in this case 31 days X daily base pay. Kerry clearly took the latter option. The 56 days remain unaccounted for, not that it matters to me. I think the YN typing up the separation papers just didn't know what he was doing.

I guess we could find out for sure by Kerry's releasing his pay records.
hmminCanada
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday there was a post at Free Republic called The Best Evidence, from someone called Andrew C. This person was taking a very close look at the fitness reports and had noticed some anomalies. The most outstanding of them was a side by side comparison of Elliott's signature. The signature of the last one, the one I think that was being discussed above is clearly different than the other two signed by Elliott. If you enlarge the screen you will see that the G in the last one has no loop around the bottom to join it on , the "M" is similar but looks too tight compared to the other two, the "E" is similar to the first but kind of cramped looking and the double "t" at the end is significantly different. In the other signature's there is a loop from the bottom of the last "t" that doubles back over the top and bends around to cross both but in the last signature both "t's" as just crossed with a single line. Go check it out and see what you think. Show it to Elliott and see what he thinks.
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmminCanada wrote:
Yesterday there was a post at Free Republic called The Best Evidence, from someone called Andrew C. This person was taking a very close look at the fitness reports and had noticed some anomalies. The most outstanding of them was a side by side comparison of Elliott's signature. The signature of the last one, the one I think that was being discussed above is clearly different than the other two signed by Elliott. If you enlarge the screen you will see that the G in the last one has no loop around the bottom to join it on , the "M" is similar but looks too tight compared to the other two, the "E" is similar to the first but kind of cramped looking and the double "t" at the end is significantly different. In the other signature's there is a loop from the bottom of the last "t" that doubles back over the top and bends around to cross both but in the last signature both "t's" as just crossed with a single line. Go check it out and see what you think. Show it to Elliott and see what he thinks.

Maybe there is a handwriting analysis forum somewhere on the net who would give you a casual opinion if you just showed both sets of signatures?
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe CAPT Elliot, who is engaged in this discussion, could tell you if that were his signature.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
Dane:

Afraid you're barking up the wrong tree re: your allegation of Kerry's DD 215 changing the effective date of Kerry's transfer to inactive duty. Block 11.d. of the DD214 releasing him from active duty posted on Kerry's web site clearly shows the transfer to be effective 1 Mar 1970. (This is page 2 of the DD214 document posted on Kerry's web site; page 1 is the DD214 where he transitioned from enlisted to commissioned status on completion of OCS.)

It appears to be a second DD214. The first is DD214 1 NOV 55, and appears to refer to his initial training. I don't know if it's standard practice to issue a DD214 just when an officer completes a course in "INDOCTRINATION." I thought the DD214 was a soldier's official record of separation/discharge from military service, and what was used to apply for Veteran's benefits. But . . And the second is DD214N, with a date that appears to read 1 JUL 96 (or 94). The former is signed by a VL Moore, Student Personnel Officer. The second, which seems to also include Kerry's own grandiose signature, is signed by a T. Vanstrydonck, at DIRMILPERSDIV. The former has a "2" in the bottom right. But I assume that refers to the copy, not the page number. The Vanstrydonck form has a "3" at bottom right, but also a large "S-3" stamped at the top. Again, I assume that refers to one of multiple copies, in this case, copy #3. These appear to be to different forms. But someone correct me, otherwise.
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first DD-214 was issued when Kerry was released from his enlistment contract at the end of NAVOCS to accept a commision as Ensign in the Naval Reserve. The second DD-214 was issued at the end of his active commissioned service.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbarden wrote:
The first DD-214 was issued when Kerry was released from his enlistment contract at the end of NAVOCS to accept a commision as Ensign in the Naval Reserve. The second DD-214 was issued at the end of his active commissioned service.

But the second DD214 seems to be one of these 'reconstitutions'. Apparently, there's a procedure to get a DD214 if the first was never issued at the time. This appears to be what that is. If you look very closely at the date of the form by the letters DD214N, I think you'll see it says something like 1994 or 1996. It could be that this DD214 was issued about the same time as he submitted the DD215, which I think was in 2000? How and who put that decoration for valor with the SS, is yet another question, along with why the 215 doesn't correct that. And was there an original DD214 issued, and what might it have said? I think they stopped putting 'spin' codes on these in the mid-80s, if I read some webpages right. But if Kerry got one in, say, in 1978, maybe there's something he doesn't want people to see. I mean, I can only guess.

Frankly, he should have released all of his papers. It just looks like he's hiding something. And all these mysteries crop up.
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DD-214, a DD FORM 214N, was published 1NOV72 and issued to me (filled out) on 13JUL79, recording my separation from USNR enlisted and accepting a commission as Ensign, USNR. The form's stock number is 0102-LF-002-0202.

Subsequent DD-214's were issued to me on form DD-214 Oscar.

I can't read the publication date on Kerry's DD-214N, but it looks like 1968. Issuance of DD-214N in 2000 appears to be impossible.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbarden wrote:
My first DD-214, a DD FORM 214N, was published 1NOV72 and issued to me (filled out) on 13JUL79, recording my separation from USNR enlisted and accepting a commission as Ensign, USNR. The form's stock number is 0102-LF-002-0202.

Subsequent DD-214's were issued to me on form DD-214 Oscar.

I can't read the publication date on Kerry's DD-214N, but it looks like 1968. Issuance of DD-214N in 2000 appears to be impossible.

No, it looks like 1 JUL 94, or 96. Admittedly it's a lousy pdf copy. But given what I got, the first digit can't be a 6. It curves around on the opposite site. It's looks like a 9.

That DD214N however is supposed to represent his final DD214, am I right? Or are you suggesting that his final DD214 would NOT be a DD214N, but simply a DD214? or is the letter designation just irrelevant? You receive 8 copies, correct, and the fourth is what you present for veteran's benefits? I was also under the impression, that if the date was correct, that he was claiming the DD214 had not been received or issued, at the time. and was seeking a reissue, or if it had then a reissue by command of the Secretary's office. Instruction 1336.1 appears to allow for just this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: