SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wear your medals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik wrote:

Okay, so not as big a medal as NavyChief, and John O Neill - who get the biggest medals of all, or our tireless mods and admins.

I think we should start a petition to the Navy to name a warship after Mr. ONiell. Cool
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win this election and I should think we could find a couple of unassigned detroyers for John and Chief. Beats the hell out of naming them for appropriation committee members.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Win this election and I should think we could find a couple of unassigned detroyers for John and Chief. Beats the hell out of naming them for appropriation committee members.

Sheee.....iiitt. Why can't the congress just go ahead and build a couple of destroyers earmarked for John & Chief. I'm sure the Navy wouldn't mind a couple of new ships Cool Very Happy And I coudn't think of a better class of ship for them than destroyer.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started today. Wore my coat with medals on a trip to the grocery. Tomorrow I've scheduled myself to lay in my election night bubbly, so that means another trip away from the keyboard, and another wearin' o the medals. From this morning until November 3, or Kerry concedes, whichever is later, I will wear the medals whenever I go out any further than the mail box.

I experienced someething I should have expected but had not. When I stepped out with the medals, I foudn that I stoood a little straigher, , the sholders moved back and the belly in, and I found myslf behaving with a little more dignity, smiling a little more, better manners, not giving the kerry salute to idiot drivers...
In short, it had a positive effect on my own attitude and behavior. Something similar happened about two years ago when I got religion and the priest hung a cross arund my neck. Just the symbolism of the event had its own effect, additional to the effects of doctrine and faith.
There is an element related to the military concept of drill & ceremonies and established ritual as a moral influence. Thirty years ago, I don't think I understood.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik,

I meant no disrespect. The Navy keeps flip-flopping on naming protocols for different classes of ships but I believe it's still true that destroyers are named for heros.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik wrote:
I B Squidly wrote:

Sheee.....iiitt. Why can't the congress just go ahead and build a couple of destroyers earmarked for John & Chief. I'm sure the Navy wouldn't mind a couple of new ships Cool Very Happy And I coudn't think of a better class of ship for them than destroyer.

I best get to work selling more Real Estate so I can pay in some more federal taxes so we can buy the ships that adorn John & Chiefs names. My son’s Navy recruiter’s wife just joined the firm today and we are giving $300 towards closing costs for any of our veteran or military clients.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWV,
Perhaps we could find the money somewhere in the federal budget - like maybe the line item that provides flight training subsidies for indigent terrorists? Or I KNOW! How about the money that would've gone to subsidize the trial lawyers? Or the Home for Politically Blind UN Inspectors?

Firmly resolved that every penny "wasted" on national defense is a penny that will not do active harm furthering misguided social programs.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Come on vets and active duty - let's wear our decorations and badges on Election Day. Show everyone how many of us there are! Let's do it for the ones who can't!
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service in war and voting in elections are the two greatest civic honors and duties.
And after you wear your medals to the voting booth, leave them on a bit longr. Veterans Day is only afew days later. And if Kerry manages to steal the election, you might want to wear your medal for the next four years as a sign you didn't throw away your medals

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I'l be manning the desk and checking the names against voting lists Tuesday at my local precinct.

Let's see if they let me get away with wearing my ship's ball cap with an ESWS to one side and ribbons to the other.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Very Happy
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further thoughts:

I wnet into the wine store today to get my bottle of cleebratory bubbly. Wearing my gongs of course. The clerk, I know her, was wearing one of those photo buttons of her son in cammies. He's an engineeer in Iraq. She also noticed what I was wearing. I explained - no betrayals this time.

Not only are we wearing our medals for our 58,000 brothers...
We are also wearing our medals for our most recent 1000 younger brothers.
I'm not sure I really enjoy this - I hate it when my voice starts to crack andy my eyes start to get burnyand misty.
But bleep it, I think this is important. Its what an old farct can do, so I'm carrying on.

Also, if anyone challenges you on election day, You might want to ask him to explain why all the American flags posted around the place are not partisan, but miltary medals are.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine a more appropriate time to wear them. So many of them have been earned so that we have the priviledge of voting, to fulfill our desire and the desire of our forefathers to be self-governed! And this year, those medals have earned the ability of two new nations to vote. No, I can't imagine a more appropriate time and if any poll worker has an issue with the medals, that's exactly what I'd tell them.

This year I read John Adams and really understood the yearning of mankind to be self-governed.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Very Happy
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we have been stood down for a DC event, everyone who's a vet should be getting your gongs and badges out and cleaned up so you can wear them to vote on Tuesday. Since we won't be gathering in DC, let's show the folks how many of us there are on Election Day. Mine are already mounted on my dark suit, ready to go. Let's do it! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: