SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales from your polling place? PLEASE Post here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelnoel
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our polling place has 900 +/- registered voters
Hubby voted for Bush/Cheney approx. 9 AM after wait of 10 minutes
I voted for Bush/Cheney @11:30 AM no wait was #400!
Happy to report absence of poll watcher from across the pond.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubbie voted early this morning, so I was going to head over to my precinct to vote before lunch...but found this note on the back door:

DO NOT VOTE UNTIL I GET HOME! signed by my very astute 9 year old daughter.

She's listened to me rant about Kerry and the Swifties for weeks now. She's holding her own in the classroom discussions (in a very DFL *the Minnesota term for democratic party* school).

Think I'll wait to vote until after school's out, don'cha think! Very Happy
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...just a friendly reminder of why our right to vote is so precious - made me proud to be an American all over again Very Happy

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

From Mike:

I live in Farmington Hills, Michigan which is in Southwest Oakland County. Its a rainy day but not too cold. I arrived at 9:00 am... It took about 35 minutes to vote and with what looked like an above average turnout, one of the volunteers told me that the wait was over an hour during the morning rush before people go to work.

The best thing I saw was a man who was about 30 with 2 small children getting his picture taken in line. He said that he had just become a US citizen and this was his first time voting! The pride on his face was obvious and everyone in line congratulated him. Watching this it really confirmed to me what a great and special country we live in.
dfjlaw
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 votes for W in the Peoples Republic of Maine including 19 year old son's first vote.
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mystery about the anticipated results here in Utah, but as a recent transplant from Massachusetts, I was surprised to see very little campaigning going on at the polling site, and I was surprised to be only the 86th voter nearly 2 hours into the day. No line, no waiting. They are still using punch card ballots here and it was my first time using this "technology". They warned me about hanging chads, which made me laugh, but the system worked flawlessly and was easy to understand...can't imagine what all the fuss was about in FL in 2000. I voted straight party line republican for the first time in my life...blame it on the disgusting tactics of Terry McCaulife, Kedwards, and the rest of the DNC Kerrorists!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
No mystery about the anticipated results here in Utah, but as a recent transplant from Massachusetts, I was surprised to see very little campaigning going on at the polling site, and I was surprised to be only the 86th voter nearly 2 hours into the day. No line, no waiting. They are still using punch card ballots here and it was my first time using this "technology". They warned me about hanging chads, which made me laugh, but the system worked flawlessly and was easy to understand...can't imagine what all the fuss was about in FL in 2000. I voted straight party line republican for the first time in my life...blame it on the disgusting tactics of Terry McCaulife, Kedwards, and the rest of the DNC Kerrorists!

So did I...for the same reason. Couple of local democrats I wanted to vote for, but they lost out to voter anger at their party.

Wonder how many others like us there are?
Jo Baker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Reston, Virginia (Burb of DC)

Relatively tame...the Reps and Dems appeared to be on their best behavior. Had to wait in line for about an hour and a half. I knew that most from my area were going to be Kerry supporters (based upon tax contributions looked up on the net for my zip code Wink ) but I decided to wear my Bush/Cheney shirt just the same. Nobody spit on me...and some even made polite conversation! Surprised I literally was the only person there (that I saw) with Bush/Cheney paraphenalia...saw a bunch of Kerry/Edwards buttons.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpo,
Include me as another one! I couldnt find the affiliation/leaning of some of the local district appeal judges, but lo and behold I got an e-mail from the Democratic Party (I signed up just to read what their campaign e-mails were on Kerry's website) that told me who they were promoting for the judges, so I took a print out of the e-mail in with me, looked up their name on the ballot and just voted for the opposing person! Very Happy Two judges were running without an opponent---they didnt get my vote either! The appeal judges in this district of Ohio could end up becoming very important!
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to our local voting place. Now I have to tell you that it is normally a small place, smaller than a grange hall out in the middle of nowhere. Had to wait about 10 minutes but that was at 2:00p.m. The lady there at the polls said that there was a line to the road at 6:00a.m. That is really unbelievable for here. While we were there we ran into some of our rural neighbors, who normally vote democratic. They didn't this time. That was about 4 more for Bush, but I know from looking at the crowd, long skirts, no make-up, long hair (local church) that there was a lot more for Bush!
Yea!!!!!!!
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean City New Jersey. South Jersey - seasonal resort, many retirees, well-to-do, near Atlantic City - Republican. Fully half the district had voted by 1:00 P.M. No waiting time at all - sign in and vote in five minutes.

No electioneering, no loitering signs posted outside. All calm and orderly.

Obviously the Republicans are energized as well as the dems. There may be an early result.
frankzzz
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I voted straight party line republican for the first time in my life...blame it on the disgusting tactics of Terry McCaulife, Kedwards, and the rest of the DNC Kerrorists!

So did I...for the same reason. Couple of local democrats I wanted to vote for, but they lost out to voter anger at their party.

Wonder how many others like us there are?

------------------------------------------

Well, there’s at least one in New Hampshire.

I promised the out-of-state democrat who called me at 9:30 on a Sunday morning stumping for Kerry that she had pushed me over the line and that I was now going to vote the entire ticket to the republicans and I kept that promise. I am a life-long democrat and have never even voted a straight democrat ticket but this one was special. I enjoyed it.
BPC69
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Florida Voting Experience from my Niece Reply with quote

Just wanted to share.Got a call from my niece in St. Lucie County. She voted around 11am, for Bush of course. Anyway, according to her, not very busy at the polling place, sherriff was present as were poll watchers. When she went up to sign the book she noted that the names had the party registrations next to the peoples names. She saw that several registered republicans had signed in and obviously voted but as the poll worker flipped through the sign-in book she saw page after page of blank signature slots next to the democrats. So much for the turnout. Maybe they're waiting til after lunch. Or maybe they're really not eligible to vote, hehe. I'd go with the latter. Out.

P.S. I feel proud that my family contributed 5 solid votes for W in Florida to gather in those all important 27 Electorial Votes. Of course my vote in NYS is sitting here rotting but at least hopefully contributing to the overall popular 'MAJORITY' win!!! Let's gettem!

BPC69
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My voting day in Brooklyn NY.

At 2:33pm, a gunfight broke out on my street. Young people, getting some dope for thier rock the vote party I guess, had a little dispute.

I headed for the polls. There were "zero" rock the vote young people there. It was all adults and old people. It wasn't crowded at all (took about 5 mins). I yanked the republican ticket all the way down and left smiling. On my way back down the hill, on foot, I saw an old vet. Wearing his ARMY jacket with his vet stuff on it. WWII vet. He stopped me and asked me where he goes to vote. I pointed over the hill.

He said, I just got out of the VA hospital and I never recieved my voter card. I asked him did he know what precinct he was registered with and he said, yes. I took him there. Helped him find the right precinct table, and they didn't find his name on the list. I then requested a provisional ballot, and explained it to him. He thanked me, shook my hand, and I went home smiling. 2 more Bush votes in the heart of the beast (Brooklyn NY).

God Bless the Vets. If you see an old Vet...help them out. This guy knew about the people getting hassled. He wore his I'm a vet and proud stuff.
HE must have been in his 80s. God Bless Him, still brave to this today..in the midst of gunfire in the streets, he went out to vote.
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family just voted here in Biloxi, Mississippi...no problems at
the voting booth, no crowds...in and out about 15 minutes.
Long list of Presidential hopefuls - guess who I voted for Very Happy
Also, Gene Taylor (D) was on the list for re-election...he didn't
bother answering my emails, etc...so I didn't vote for him...
told him I had a long memory... Evil or Very Mad

Other areas of Mississippi seem to be having problems:
Quote:

"Residents in an overflowing Rankin County precinct had to park in a graveyard and wade through steady rainfall Tuesday to vote for president, a Congress race and to decide whether to adopt a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage."

"Polls opened at 7 a.m and close at 7 p.m."

"This morning there was a line 10 times longer than normal at the National Guard Armory in Brandon....The parking lot was full and cars were parking along the highway and in a nearby cemetery.''

"Secretary of State Eric Clark said Monday voter turnout could top 1 million for the first time. Mississippi has about 1.8 million registered voters, but 34 of the 82 counties have more registered voters than they do residents of voting age."

"The secretary of state's office will be open before the polls open and after they close to field questions or complaints." (none here)

Heavy voting was being reported in most areas of the state despite the rain. There were also early complaints of voting problems, including scattered reports of voting machine problems in populated Hinds County. Callers also reported early problems at the armory in Brandon.

"In Hinds County, people are standing in line in the rain,'' said Circuit Clerk Barbara Dunn. "I understand that there were lines of voters and cars lined up to park at precincts all over the county.''

Dunn, whose county includes Jackson, said predictions of a record turnout appeared to be proving correct, "unless it really starts storming and flooding.''

"Wilson said issues that included the same-sex marriage amendment and a local amendment on allowing liquor sales appeared to help bring out voters in Rankin County."

"About 2 percent of voters were expected to have to show a driver's license or other identification at the polls. They were first-time voters who registered by mail since Jan. 1, 2003."

Marty Wiseman, director of Mississippi State University's John C. Stennis Institute of Government, said a brisk turnout was expected in the Delta, where 2nd District U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Democrat, is facing his second consecutive challenge by Republican Clinton B. LeSueur. LeSueur got 44 percent of the vote against Thompson in 2002, and Thompson has run a higher-profile campaign this year.

Wiseman said significant Democratic turnout in the Delta could "tighten the gap'' between Bush and Kerry - but the political scientist still expects Bush to win in Mississippi.

In 2000, Bush got 57.6 percent of the vote in Mississippi to Democrat Al Gore's 40.7 percent. The rest was split among other candidates.

Republican Gov. Haley Barbour, who has traveled to several states to campaign for Bush, predicted the presidential race will be tight nationwide.

"We don't take anything for granted,'' Barbour told The Associated Press last week. "I suspect Bush will carry most of the Southern states by double digits.''

He said the exception in the South probably will be Florida, which is expected to be decided by a narrow margin. Intensely fought disputes over how to count votes in Florida dragged out results of the Bush-Gore race for weeks.

Wiseman said just as four years ago, Americans might wake up the day after the election still not knowing who won the presidency. Republicans and Democrats have both hired attorneys in case they're needed to challenge vote counts in several states.

"I think we're in for one of the darndest scenes we've ever seen,'' Wiseman said.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press.
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=2511976&nav=6DJHSfUu

join him, for then it costs nothing to be a
patriot.”
- Mark Twain
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: NVA (Northern Virginia) Reply with quote

First person to hand me paraphernalia was a Kerry person. Politely took it and gave him a flyer I had made up and printed out myself about Kerry. He read it while I had a pleasant chat with the Bush lady. He was VERY interested in the flyer. I voted, took about 5 minutes. On the way out told the lady I voted for Bush and why. The Kerryite recognized me immediately and tried to give me back my flyer. He was not happy with my flyer. Told him to keep it so he knows what his candidate is really like. He kept on trying to give it back and I said no! He finally put it in the trash. As I left he tried to see if my vehicle had any B/C or Republican stickers on it. Of course it did not. Don't want them to try and tie the B/C folks to me and my flyers. They are hard-hitting.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: