SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Takes Oilman Pickens Up On $1 Million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks have probably seen this before but just in case you haven't:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1202276/posts
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2007/11/pickens-v-kerry.html

Pickens v. Kerry - The Swift Battle Continues
Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens came on Hannity and Colmes last night to explain the staus of his proposed bet with John Kerry regarding the veracity of the Swift Boat ads that helped scuttle Kerry's ship in 2004.

When last we looked, the LA Times was reporting that Pickens seemed to be backing away from his original proposal; Chris Cilizza of the WaPo Fix has additional background, and the letters exchanged by Kerry and Pickens can be found at Mr. Pickens' website.

Mr. Pickens introduces some clarity early on - his wager related specifically to the ads run by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, so "Unfit For Command" and the many other talk-show discussions and newspaper op-eds are not in play.
Colmes reveals his unfamiliarity with the material and recycles a classic lib pratfall here:

COLMES: We had William [Rood] of The Chicago Tribune, the only living officer who was with John Kerry when he earned his Silver Star who talks about that [link], yes, John Kerry earned that Silver Star. He did everything that he claimed he did, versus what the swift boaters said. And he came out in The Chicago Tribune, for whom he writes, again claiming that the swift boaters were absolutely wrong in the thing that they said.

Here we go again - there were no Swifties who claimed to have witnessed the Silver Star incident! The basis of the controversy surrounding that incident was that the versions of the incident - basically, Kerry's citation and Kerry's own interview with the Boston Globe from 2003 - were somewhat different. (If someone has a link to the evolving Kerry citations, that would be lovely - I had been going to the Kerry campaign website, which was short-sighted of me.)

Well. I think Pickens moved the goalposts a bit by asking Kerry to risk his own cash, a notion not in his original proposal. And I can see where Kerry has weasel room on full disclosure of his records and diary - if Kerry only intends to dispute one incident to prove the Swifties to be lying, why should he provide records not relevant to that incident?

Grrr - badly framed by Mr. Pickens. But time is on his side:

PICKENS: He hasn't released anything. But Sean, you know, he's just now answering something that happened three years ago. And so I don't want to rush him into a response. I mean, he can take as long as he wants. The bet's open.

Troubling - Mr. Pickens is walking the fine line between clarifying and backing out, although another theory says that this is the classic way to lure a mark.

STILL THE ONE: I will modestly assert familiarity with the various Swift charges and opine that the best chance for crushing Kerry lies with the story around Kerry's first Purple Heart. Part of the controversy revolves around just who was with Kerry when he did or did not engage the enemy for the first time; Zaladonis, who was a crewman on Kerry's first boat, told people in 2004 that he was with Kerry and vouched for his conduct, but that colorful tale was never elicted by either historian Douglas Brinkley or Boston Globe reporter Michael Kranish when they interviewed Zaladonis in 2003.

So, Zaladonis remembers it as "one of the scariest nights I've had in my life", it was his first side-by-side adventure with John Kerry, it was Kerry's first medal and first combat, yet Zaladonis never mentioned it to anyone in 2003? Troubling - one might almost suspect that he only realized in 2004 that Kerry's story could use a bit of support.

Of course neither Brinkley nor Kranish are in a hurry to follow-up on this and perhaps pen the story about how they were duped by Kerry's Band of Brothers in 2004, so here we sit. But it is possible that Kerry's war diary could shed some light on the incident - although one might have expected Kerry to have penned some contemporaneous thoughts about his first medal, Brinkley never cites Kerry's account when re-telling that tale. Again, troubling.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
You folks have probably seen this before but just in case you haven't:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1202276/posts

Excellent resource ATH...and the link will be archived here if it hasn't been already.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:

Pickens v. Kerry - The Swift Battle Continues
Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens came on Hannity and Colmes last night to explain the status of his proposed bet with John Kerry regarding the veracity of the Swift Boat ads that helped scuttle Kerry's ship in 2004.

Transcript up at Fox News
Exclusive: T. Boone Pickens on $1 Million Challenge to Sen. John Kerry
Tuesday, November 20, 2007

there is also a video at the link... Mr Pickens wasn't in the least ruffled by Colmes's bloviating Wink
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering where that graphic was from and stumbled onto it tonite just by happenstance...musta been dat cheesesteak what done it after all... Laughing

Quote:
Steak Raises Stakes for Kerry in Philly
By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, August 13, 2003; Page A03

If Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential aspirations melt like a dollop of Cheez Whiz in the sun, the trouble may well be traced to an incident in South Philadelphia on Monday.

There, the Massachusetts Democrat went to Pat's Steaks and ordered a cheesesteak -- with Swiss cheese. If that weren't bad enough, the candidate asked photographers not to take his picture while he ate the sandwich; shutters clicked anyway, and Kerry was caught nibbling daintily at his sandwich -- another serious faux pas.

"It will doom his candidacy in Philadelphia," predicted Craig LaBan, food critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer, which broke the Sandwich Scandal. After all, Philly cheesesteaks come with Cheez Whiz, or occasionally American or provolone. But Swiss cheese? "In Philadelphia, that's an alternative lifestyle," LaBan explained.

And don't even mention Kerry's dainty bites. "Obviously, Kerry's a high-class candidate, and he misread the etiquette," LaBan said. "Throwing fistfuls of steak into the gaping maw, fingers dripping -- that's the proper way."

For Kerry, a Boston Brahmin, this is something of a sore spot. As he seeks to lose his reputation for $75 Salon Cristophe haircuts, Turnbull & Asser shirts and long fingernails to play classical guitar, he has been seen riding a motorcycle and doing other regular-guy things.

Appearing out of touch with the common man can be deadly for a candidate. Recall George H.W. Bush's wonderment in the 1992 campaign upon coming across a supermarket scanner, and Sargent Shriver's legendary request for a Courvoisier while visiting a milltown bar in 1972.

Kerry spokesman Robert Gibbs insisted that the candidate was "not taking a dainty nibble" of the steak. "I suspect that Kerry was thinking about provolone cheese but became distracted by thinking of the more than 3 million jobs that have slipped through the holes of George W. Bush's economic plan."

The owner of Pat's Steaks, Frank Olivieri, was forgiving, though he points out that Bill Clinton and Al Gore knew to ask for Whiz. "It happens," he said. "I swayed him to the Cheez Whiz. If you're eating in Philadelphia, you eat what I serve you."

At least Kerry didn't ask for Camembert.

Washington Post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: