SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Debate Topic - COMMENTS HERE ONLY Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kerry wrote:
...Now let me say, I should be president because I’m tough. And I’m tough because I served in Vietnam....
http://www.claremont.org/weblog/index.html#001553

When initially posted, I cited this article because the Claremont Institute erroneously qualified it as "Abridged" rather than "paraphrased." They're usually much more precise than that. In any event this article captures the essence of his position and it's clear the swaggering punk wants us to believe he's tough, just as the article paraphrased his words. Although I've known some monstrously tough people, I was in the Marine Corps back in the '50s and I'm not particularly tough. And I'm sure every one of you knows someone who served in Vietnam who also is not tough. Regardless of all the nuances of Claremont, the punk himself or anyone else who parses excessively, I wonder if he's ill with some kind of aberrant delusion about war. Perhaps he has "tough envy." Most of us learned that wars are fought by ordinary people rising to and surviving extraordinarily tough conditions. He seems to have missed that piece of sanity. In any event, he doesn't fit the profile of "tough."

And if that doesn't motivate you, try this one.
Matt Hagin wrote:
...It'll be a miracle if Mr. Bush shows for the next two. After Thursday's debate, the choice for President of the United States couldn't be any clearer to anyone who truly cares about this country....
http://www.**/articles/04/10/02_choice.html

Last edited by Tom Poole on Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
The Democratic Party site has their new video up - "Faces of Frustration"

http://www.democrats.org/

3. I LOVE IT!!!! Honest reactions! And they mirror my own!

I agree. When this this garbage start that a person has to have a poker face all the time? if a person is annoyed at an obvious lie or distortion then they should be allowed to show that expression instead of looking like they are too empty-headed to have any emotions.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:

Somehow, I missed his opening statement in this debate and couldn't believe my eyes when I read the transcript for the first time.

The impression of both myself and my son was that his entire opening statement in which he stressed his "service' in Vietnam was all aimed at digging the Swiftees.
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bush campaign agreed to bad format Reply with quote

Jerry M wrote:

Lehrer was the real reason Bush found himself constantly on the defensive. He, after all, had the sole power to determine where the questioning was going to go and Bush was not sharp enough open other avenues.

AGREE. But I think the Bush's camp should have already anticipated it. After all, it is not difficult to predict the questions and the talking points of the liberals and Kerry's camp on the foreign policy, especially on terrorism and Iraq. Bush could have spent about 50% of the time to answer the questions, and use the rest to speak his well-prepared agendas.

But there we go. I believe he was really tired. As I often experienced, when you are tired, you just couldn't deliver all things you wanted to say. Let's hope the camp realizes this fatigue factor.
CyberAcorn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Weapons of Mass Destruction Reply with quote

In response to the question "Who's top target, bin Laden or Saddam?" John Kerry stated "...And now we see beheadings. And we got weapons of mass destruction crossing the border every single day and they're blowing people up. And we don't have enough troops there."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/30/debate.transcript.4/index.html

My question: I thought part of the argument against the war was that we had not found WMD. From where are these weapons coming? What are they? Who do we have to go get next? (Syria, Iran, France)

If President Bush would listen to what kerry actually says, he could shut him down using kerry's own words. Instead, President Bush already knew what he wanted to say and allowed kerry to espouse anything he wanted.

I would like to see someone challenge kerry on the WMD statement.

VR,
JH
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've been away from the computer since Thurday night. ("Life"!) Don't have time to follow this thread all the way back to my last post, or rerun the debate this morning. So if this has been covered, ignore me, or if I need correction, please correct me. And please fill in details if you have them & it seems worthwhile.

I remember Kerry stated more than once that Iraq was stretching us too thin, was a costly diversion of resources, implied we were "90%" tied up in Iraq, etc.

But he also quoted someone (high ranking) that we went into Iraq with vastly insufficient forces. The number 700,000 - 800,000 sticks in my mind: Is that correct?

The implication is, I guess, that we should have made up the difference by building a larger coalition.

Now, obviously we did not need those extra troops to defeat Saddam, so
Sen. Kerry must be saying we needed them for long term duty to control Iraq after defeating Saddam.

Question: How many coalition troops from other countries were with us in Gulf War 1?

Fact: Many countries contributed forces to the coalition in Gulf War 1 because Saddam in control of most of the Middle East's oil directly threatened them, in one way or another.

The threat today is different: What kind of fantasy world does Kerry live in to think that we could possibly build a coalition remotely near what we had in Gulf War 1? Much less half a million or so troops from other countries, to help control Iraq for however long it takes. Specifics, Senator Kerry: How's you gonna get that? Your winning personality?

A small point perhaps, but it is really bugging me.

Also, a question for someone in the know, military-wise: What is a realistic assessment of how much of the U.S. capability is "tied up" in Iraq?

Thanks.
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And we got weapons of mass destruction crossing the border every single day and they're blowing people up.

Can anybody tell me what the heck that means? Any way I try to interpret it, it is gibberish...
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul R,

Another aspect of your point.....

Many of Kerry's surrogates use Gulf War 1 as an example of how a coalition should be built when criticizing the President. They say he should have done things like his Dad did and get others (mainly the Saudis) to foot the bill.

Question: If that was the model of how to do it, why was Kerry one of the very few to vote against it?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With appreciation to all the participants, it's now time to get the Main Forum refocused on SBVT critical issues.

I'll be moving this shortly to the Geedunk Forum for any afterthoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
USAF66-70
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: ABRIDGED Kerrt transcript! Reply with quote

Poole & others:

Kerry did NOT say, “Now let me say, I should be president because I’m tough. And I’m tough because I served in Vietnam....”

That transcript is: Bush v. Kerry, Round 1 – Abridged. ABRIDGED!

Kerry said plenty of horrendous things. No need to make stuff up—leave that to the Dems.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAF66-70 wrote:
...No need to make stuff up...

A thousand pardons. I quoted my source and qualified it by saying I missed the opening statement. I DID NOT MAKE STUFF UP! You seem to be quite sensitive. I'll try to be more careful.
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""""""Question: How many coalition troops from other countries were with us in Gulf War 1?"""""""

If I remember right there were roughly 400,000 Americans deployed in Gulf-1 along with 200,000 coalition personel. If I remember right the numbers deployed during Iraqi Freedom were about 250,000 Americans and about 45,000 coalition personel. Most of which came from Great Britain.
There was never any chance for a "larger coalition". If the world community was going to overlook all the violations of ITNTL Law that Saddam commited then how could we expect them to join in a coalition. There was no way a larger coalition could be formed, no-one could have done it. The "world community" couldnt have cared less what Saddam did, "as long as he wasnt putting at risk their oil supplies". As he did in Gulf-l . And the UN was to busy stealing money from starving Iraqi kids in the "oil for food program".

When will Americans learn the "world community" and the United Nations couldnt care less about us? They made a bunch of noise post-9/11 but since the American military already had their oil resources secured they werent about to risk another attack on Saddam. The world is an amalgamation of nation states that act only in their self-interest. With the exception of Britian I dont believe we have "real friends" in the world and most countrys are hunting down Islamic terrorists, not only for their own self-interest, but out of fear of the American military.

From the begining I gave the chances for Iraqi democracy to be, at best, 50/50. Its easy to sit in an armchair, somewhere in America, and say were going to build a "free Iraq". But I have been tempered by 18 mos in that twisted region and I am not so confident. How do you give freedom to a people who are so completly indifferent to it? Whos very religion allows them to be so casually brutal to each other?............Rich
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader wrote:
Paul R,

Another aspect of your point.....

Many of Kerry's surrogates use Gulf War 1 as an example of how a coalition should be built when criticizing the President. They say he should have done things like his Dad did and get others (mainly the Saudis) to foot the bill.

Question: If that was the model of how to do it, why was Kerry one of the very few to vote against it?

Good point. Bush should find a way to hit Kerry on that one. "Poor judgement."

Not only that, it was easy to get the Saudis to fork over the dough 'cause they had no other choice!

BTW, back then (as KuWait fell) I was super impressed by Cheney's calm as he discussed how to handle things if Saddam moved on Saudi Arabia.
(We didn't have many forces there yet and as Cheney put it "things could get dicey", but he was totally unrattled.) Whatever else people might say about him, he definitely stikes me as a great #2 to have in a crisis. And Kerry has... Edwards?
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the exception of Britian I dont believe we have "real friends" in the world and most countrys are hunting down Islamic terrorists, not only for their own self-interest, but out of fear of the American military.

Oh, I don't know, there are the "new Europe" nations like Poland, there's Australia (at least the Howard gov't*), etc. Even France just signed a new anti-terrorism accord with us. (Happened the day of the debate -- I kept hoping Bush would bring it up!!) Ok, granted, it's in France's interest, but I doubt they and the others are all acting "out of fear of the American military." As for self-interest? I'll take it! Even Saudi Arabia has finally realized they have to fight the terrorists. "Fear of the American military" really comes into play in places like Pakistan, etc., though I think even those govt's realize that (forget about America) if they want to stay in power, they have to fight the the terrorists, eventually, too.

*This is one to watch. Very close election coming up in several days. If Howard loses, Bush gets hurt on "coalition crumbling" argument.
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
USAF66-70 wrote:
...No need to make stuff up...

A thousand pardons. I quoted my source and qualified it by saying I missed the opening statement. I DID NOT MAKE STUFF UP! You seem to be quite sensitive. I'll try to be more careful.

Hey, one of the terrific things about this forum is that for the most part people accept corrections or contrary information to what they thought, if they were mistaken, etc. There is a real effort to find the truth of things and let the facts come out as they may, which is really great. Thanks to everyone, I am learning a lot! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 43 of 45

Jump to: