SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THOSE DOCUMENTS ARE FAKE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandra C.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Worked on one Reply with quote

I worked on an IBM Selectra for about 18 months in 1986 doing typesetting/layout in a print shop. It was a fine machine before the ease of our computers came along, holding a memory of about 6,000 characters so you could temporarily "store" a job during the proofing process. It put out crisp, clean copy to be used for pasteups and layout for printing.

It was an intricate machine to learn and use. They were expensive, a very used one at that time was about $3,500, a newer used model $7,000-$8,000 and that's in 1986 dollars.

To change the size of the font from 11 or 12 down to 8 to make the "superscript" would have been very difficult and time consuming because once a type size ball was installed, the machine automatically "clunked" to the size of type spacing needed for the letters. When you changed the size ball, it "clunked" again to adjust to the different ball type, and that's why there's a tiny bit of space before and after the "th" on the examples shown where somebody did it using the machine from that time period. And, it's obvious that the person doing the example knew exactly how to do it.

My master, no, slave driver, oops, sorry, BOSS would never allow me to use the time needed to make the delicate adjustments for this, because one never got it right on the first try (and maybe, second), and we all know TIME IS MONEY! She would simply always have me type 111th or 21st or 22nd just as you read them here, and if the customer made an inquiry she would life her chin slightly and and say that that was, really, the PRO-per way to do it. She was about 4'11" and could get away with it every single time.

Also, to center type with this machine was not the easiest thing to do, and things were never really totally and correctly centered. They would do so only if all lines had even or uneven number of characters/numbers.

It was a fine machine, and a big boon right before computers came out, but to use it was not an easy task. One had to change balls for any text in bold, italic, or bold italic, so you had to program your stops in the memory bank in order to change the ball to bold, then another program stop to change the ball back to plain. Time consuming. I realize that bold, italic and bold italic typefaces are not relevant here.

In my humble opinion, what we are looking at was NOT produced in an IBM Selectra. It COULD have been replicated fairly accurately by a master typesetter, and what military office would have one of those?
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: ...Fake Reply with quote

It seems to me that if CBS DID NOT conspire, they simply would have apologized in the face of such overwhelming evidence and saved their reputation. But, if CBS DID conspire, an apology would be tantamount to blaming their source and abandoning it to any persecution or prosecution the country chooses. Certainly, the latter would not endear CBS to the source and an unhappy partner in crime is a dangerous one. CBS is up to their eyeballs in this and they cannot afford to do the right thing. Thus, I believe they will stonewall the issue, hoping the truth won't come out until at least after the election.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question,

Is it just me or did I hear before that CBS had recieved these documents as a fax?

If so then where is the fax header on the scaned in images?
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole,

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head as CBS has to stand by its story for exactly the reasons you stated. They've sold their soul out to try to take the President down on these fake memos, and they are hoping to just weather the storm and that their cronies in the MSM will help them out - we cannot allow that to happen as we cannot allow this treachery to stand and not be exposed for what it is.

Debbie
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
dcornutt:

You are trying WAY too hard.

I used the Windows version of Word and was able to duplicate all four memos with NO manipulation at all except for changing the margins to .9" for the two documents with the address at the top, and typing four space (in addition to a tab) in front of the second line of the subject that has a two-line subject.

I have seen reports from people who have Macs who were able to duplicate at least one of the memos with no changes, and I sent my four docs to someone who has both a Mac and a PC and he printed them off both onto different printers.

No changes. So I don't know what you did that forced you to make adjustments, but something's wrong.

BTW, the superscript PRINTS properly. Ignore how it displays onscreen.

I was already convinced that I could reproduce it, as I have on my PCs easily. I just happen to be in my Mac studio that day (I'm using OSX, not sure if that's any different from Older versions) when I noticed the font difference and when the autoformatting kicked in and reproduced that line break/indent and it was the first time I really noticed it.

I think, from the looks of it, it wreaks to me of an unintentional error and a signature of Word. It's not really a smoking gun, since one could easily set a tab on a typewritter and reproduce it. But, the fact that it's obviously unintentional and part of a linebreak from and address, seemed, to me, just one more piece that suggests that this was done in Word.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale wrote:
Quote:

Secondly, as I have posted elsewhere, high school kids to a better job forging fake IDs. This document was so amateurish, one has to wonder if the forger was mentally challenged (something I suspect of all ultraleftists that support Kerry, but it could simply be ignorance or bad judgement!). Further, since CBS had them for at least six weeks, their mental capacity as well as their impartiality (LOL!!) has to be questioned. In Rather's case, it simply confirmed what we all already knew.

Do two nervous breakdowns count?

Quote:
Other Guard officials disputed Burkett's account, and the Bush aide involved, Joe Allbaugh, called it "absolute garbage." Burkett may have a motive to make trouble for the powers that be. In 1998, he grew gravely ill on a Guard mission to Panama, causing him to be hospitalized, and he suffered two nervous breakdowns. He unsuccessfully sued for medical expenses.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5974040/site/newsweek/

More on Burkett's story.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/02/13/doubts_raised_on_bush_accuser/
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to someone who seems to be a "real" professional and not a Bush supporter.

http://www.flounder.com/bush.htm
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Here's a link to someone who seems to be a "real" professional and not a Bush supporter.

http://www.flounder.com/bush.htm

This article from Dr. Newcomber is FABULOUS, as are his credentials. By all means, follow that link.

I've blogged about it in a post entitled "Rathergate docs "forgeries," says computer science PhD Newcomber": http://www.beldar.org/beldarblog/2004/09/another_compute.html

You can contact CBS News via this link: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedback/fb_news_form.shtml ....
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the final piece of evidence says it all.

Official Britney Spears fan club letter head.

These documents probably are fakes.
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Good work Reply with quote

Beldar --

Good work on Newcomber. That is an excellent presentation.

More importantly, the guy sounds like he's got a pair and could get in someone's face if challenged.
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Newcomber piece is, bar none, the most definitive indictment yet of the forgeries. It combines funny and biting sarcasm with an impressive (even intimidating) command of the technology involved; his complex (where complexity is unavoidable) arguments are elegantly and clearly stated. He employs anologies to art fraud that enable we non-geeks to better grasp his arguments.A must read.

Best of all, he says that notwithstaning his expertise and overwhelming credentials, it does not require those to know these documents are forgeries. He scathingly declares that any 12-yr-old familiar with MS Word would know it.

Also, he gives a very good -- and longed for -- explanation of the kerning issue. The Rather fakes are NOT kerned. But, they do indiciate a process Newcomber calls "pseudo-kerning" that you cannot achieve with a typewriter. But go and read for yourself. Since LGF, Beldar, Roger Simon and others started linking in the past few hours, good Dr. Newcomb's counter has gone from about 200, to heading over 7,000. Very Happy
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcome's counter was 8 when I visited <g>.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exponential advertising - it's pegged at straight 8's now. Wink
debinNC
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in the world can the MSM ignore Dr. Newcomer's bona fides and his facts? I can't imagine any genuine expect challenging his conclusions.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article on the forgories.

I think what most people are refering as kerning is in fact just propotional fonts. True kerning as he said is a little different. I personally generally use the auto kerning features in word and occasional do manual kerning but that is not something anyone would ever do in a memo.

I quess a good question, and one asked before, what if the forger had gone to the trouble of getting an old selectric to type the forgeries on?

I know we just excessed a 1960's vintage Selectric from my office a couple of months ago, there are still plenty around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: