SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Louis Letson called a Liar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Louis Letson called a Liar Reply with quote

I was listening to a local talk radio show, Hot Talk with Scott Hennen WDAY-Fargo, and during his daily segment with Ellen Ratner (contributer Fox News and Kerry supporter) and the subject of Louis Letson came up and Ratner said "as far as I'm concerned he's a liar!" I was so mad I almost drove into the ditch! Apparently Ratner is of the mindset that Kerry is above reproach because of his Vietnam service, but any other vets, who oppose him, are to condemned without proof.

An interview with Letson was to follow and Hennen asked Ratner to stay over the break and debate him face to face. Needless to say Ratner ran up the yellow flag and refused.

I intend to e-mail Fox News at Viewerservices@foxnews.com and express my displeasure with Ratner and her slanderous charge.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all stemming from Kerry's claim that "Dr. Carreon" signed the sick call sheet.

The hospital corpsman, HM1 Carreon is deceased and can no longer answer for himself.

But any Navy doctor or Corpsman from that era can explain the signature easily. In fact, I wasn't even an HM, but I explained it pretty well in another post.

Idiots - you know they did this all through GWI and again through Afghanistan and again through Iraq. Talking heads talking to other talking heads about military matters. Blind leading the blind....
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Exactly what was Carreon? and what does HM1 stand for? Would this person ever have treated a patient?

I am going to write to O'reily but I want to be sure my facts are straight.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HM1 Carreon was the Hospital Corpsman who signed the sick call sheet.

Many people sign in on the sick call sheet as they arrive at the dispensary.

The procedures for signing off any particular patient's sign-in would depend on the dispensary. It could have been the corpsman or nurse who took him to the treatment room, or the attendant corpsman or nurse or it could have been the corpsman who returned the medical record to its proper place in the files.

The sick call sheet is NOT the same thing as a treatment record, and as was pointed out here, this wound was so slight that the doctor may have just gaffed off writing a treatment report for something that small or it may have been written and still reside in the records that Kerry refuses to divulge.

Oh and yes, Corpsmen routinely did small treatments and still do, as far as I know. Especially those in training for independent duty. If Carreon was under Dr. Letson's supervision for training as a platoon medic - FMF medic, I think they called them - then he would have signed the treatments that he performed, and possibly treatments that Dr. Letson performed, signed "by direction." But we won't know because all Kerry has released is the sick call sheet.

Hope that helps. Smile

Last edited by Navy_Navy_Navy on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carreon passed away a few years ago. HM1 means Hospitalman 1st Class (E6). A medic or a trauma nurse is the best way to describe it.

But in most situations they are also responsible for the paperwork that most MDs are too lazy to do.

It's all spin....or stupidity. I choose spin!
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his position, would Carreon have been able to or authorized to treat a wound, especially if it was very minor? I mean with that "title/ranking...whatever.......would that be possible?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he would have had that capability, absolutely.

But, (and this is a big 'but') if there does exist a treatment record for this using of a forceps to remove a tiny splinter imbedded 1-3cm into the skin....

Dr. Letson could have performed it exactly as he has stated and HM1 Carreon could have been the one to sign off the treatment record, "By Direction."

OR

HM1 Carreon could have observed the treatment and signed the record.

OR

HM1 could have observed the treatment and Dr. Letson signed the treatment record.

OR

HM1 could have performed the treatment under supervision and Dr. Letson signed the treatment record.

OR

Some other situation entirely.....

Clear as mud, yet? Wink Honest, I'm not trying to make this more difficult.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
This is all stemming from Kerry's claim that "Dr. Carreon" signed the sick call sheet.

The hospital corpsman, HM1 Carreon is deceased and can no longer answer for himself.

But any Navy doctor or Corpsman from that era can explain the signature easily. In fact, I wasn't even an HM, but I explained it pretty well in another post.

Idiots - you know they did this all through GWI and again through Afghanistan and again through Iraq. Talking heads talking to other talking heads about military matters. Blind leading the blind....

Lanny Davis tonight on Hannity kept calling Kerry's Swift Boat a "ship." This is THE BIG item on their rebuttal list - the SBVT did not serve "with" Kerry and are therefore "liars" if they say they did. They expect the gullible non-military public they constantly patronize to think a Swift Boat had a crew comparable to an aircraft carrier's.

Anyone appearing on TV for SVFT needs to come up with a sharp, pointed, direct counter to this theme. It should be pointed out that the Kerry-ite is not lying, because in order to tell a lie, you have to know what the truth is. These folks simply have no concept of military service organizations; they are not lying, they simply don't know what they are talking (yelling) about.

My company CO in Nam slept in a sandbagged TOC along with the 1st Sergeant, the company clerk, the commo guys and any visiting officers. I slept in a tent ten yards across the road. By their logic, I did not serve "with" my company commander, because we did not habitually occupy the same space; I would have no way of knowing anything about his service in Nam. I was in a four vehicle ambush one day, and by Lanny Davis' logic, since I was not in the first vehicle (the CO's jeep), I have no standing to talk about what the CO did or did not do that day.
It is idiotic, but for some reason it is getting traction!

The photo that Kerry himself used of the Swift Officers should be used to point out how many of them are in the ad. How recently and by what magic did they cease to be considered among those who served "with" Kerry?
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Letson interview -- link on transcripts page
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERFECT. That was exactly what I needed:)) Thanks. I did not know until now there was a transcripts page. Found it by typing transcript in the search engine.
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kate"]Listen to Letson interview -- link on transcripts page[/quote]

Kate, forgive my ignorance, but where exactly is that Letson interview?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcripts thread:
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1726

Letson interview transcript:
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16696#16696
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: re book Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how many copies have been sold I ordered my copy today,
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a followup to the original post, Ellen Ratner had a pretty tough day on her segment on Hot Talk with Scott Hennen (WDAY Fargo). Seems that people did not like her calling Dr. Letson a liar and she was taken to task.
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Navy_Navy_Navy"]Transcripts thread:
[url]http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1726[/url]

Letson interview transcript:
[url]http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16696#16696[/url][/quote]

Many thanks Navy-x-3.

One would imagine it would be "fairly" easy to historically place Dr. Letson in the aid station where Mr. Kerry appeared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: