SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death rates SB vs. TANG?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Death rates SB vs. TANG? Reply with quote

I'm tired of Democrats saying Bush was a coward for serving in TANG rather than going to Viet Nam. I was safer as a postal clerk in the Central Highlands than bush was flying F-102's.

Does anyone have figures on the relative chances of Bush and Kerry getting killed at the time they were serving? Considering the fact that casualties in Vietnam could vary by time and place and Kerry's short tour. The stats related to Kerry should reflect the death rate among Swift Boat OIC's in the areas when and where he was serving.

Similarly the stats for TANG should reflect the period during which Bush was flying. Quality of maintenance and the age of the planes could have impacted the death rates.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to the Swift Vets -- but the answer is easy

How many times did the F102 crash? how often did pilots have to eject? How many F102 pilots died? How many flight hours in F102? How many F102s in the fleet?

vs.

How many Swiftboats? How many missions? How many died on Swift boats?

Yet the comparison fails because the F102s were mechanical failures -- this would be the same as comparing how many were injured or died because of mechanical failures on a Swift Boat versus under enemy fire.
searly
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: F-102's Were Dangerous Reply with quote

If George W. Bush wanted to pick a safe place to sit out the war he probably could have chosen a better spot than the cockpit of an F-102. Flying supersonic jet aircraft is a dangerous business. Similar planes in the period that Bush flew had a fatal pilot accident rate of about one per 40,000 flight hours. Assuming that Bush flew about a thousand hours over his career, this would mean he had a bit over a 2 percent chance of a fatal accident sometime during his service.

About 3.4 million men served in Vietnam, and about 60,000 were killed -- a fatal casualty rate of just under 2 percent.

Now, if you can determine the number of Swift Vets killed in combat (I think I once heard there were 50 or so) and the total number of Swift Vets who served. You could run the numbers.

Regardless, Bush's chances of suffering a casualty based on his flight hours was somewhere around 1-2% and comparable to those who served in Vietnam.

This of course does not take into account the rate of injuries suffered by Swift Vets. They suffered many non-fatal injuries that would not occur in the cockpit of an F-102. In a jet, if you get injured you usually die.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kerry signed up for Swifts duty, it was one of the safest missions in Vietnam, and after he reported for duty, it became one of the most dangerous. 55 men died on Swifts' missions.

I forget where I got this snippet re: F-102's:

"The F-102 claimed the lives of many pilots, including a number stationed at Ellington during Bush's tenure. Of the 875 F-102A production models that entered service, 259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 Air Force and ANG pilots."
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I do know is that flying an F-102 in Texas was far more dangerous than protesting Vietnam at Oxford.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jataylor11 wrote:
No offense to the Swift Vets -- but the answer is easy

How many times did the F102 crash? how often did pilots have to eject? How many F102 pilots died? How many flight hours in F102? How many F102s in the fleet?

vs.

How many Swiftboats? How many missions? How many died on Swift boats?

Yet the comparison fails because the F102s were mechanical failures -- this would be the same as comparing how many were injured or died because of mechanical failures on a Swift Boat versus under enemy fire.

Kerry, at best, had 500 hours of Patrol Duty in Vietnam (40 missions at the most 12 to 14 hours in length), probably less. We know he had only 18 missions from 30 Jan 69 until 18 Mar 69. No records are available presently for the period 06 Dec 68 until 29 Jan 69.

Bush has 346 hours in the the cockpit of a F-102 Widowmaker. You Decide.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to an excellent article about Bush and the F102:

http://www.randomjottings.net/archives/001023.html

Here is a link to the USAF Museum F102 page:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/fighter/f102.htm
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCFs weren't bulletproof. Charlie could shoot at us from behind trees and fallen logs and lots of other places. Normally we just shot back at the bushes that looked promising. PCFs weren't armored either. The sides of the boat would deflect a bullet about as well as a paper target would. You haven't lived until you've seen bullet holes appear in the sides of the boat right next to where you're standing.

Coastal duty is what Kerry thought he was getting into. River duty in Charlie's neighborhood is what he got.

As bad as us Navy Swiftees had it, the Coast Guard, who were there before the Navy had the highest per capita casualty rate of all services that were in the Viet Nam theater of operations. It seemed that if a mission was going to be especially dangerous, the Coasties got it. The Coasties had the river and inland water training that the Navy lacked and they more or less paved the way for us, until we could come up to speed.

My hat's always off to the Coasties. They were very much forgotten in the river warfare accounts. And many of them were Swiftees.

As far as an F102 goes, the skin of that aircraft is only 40 thousandth of an inch thick aluminum. Will stop a bullet or rocket about as well as a PCF will. Also, it's a flying gas tank.

I think both swiftboat and F102 personnel were equally at risk when they went into bad neighborhoods. I was on PCFs and when you went on a mission there was never any talk about other GIs having it easier or worse that us. We took what we were dealt and that was that. The F102 pilots were probably of the same mind.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
Here is a link to an excellent article about Bush and the F102:

Here is a link to the USAF Museum F102 page:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/fighter/f102.htm

Thanks for the links.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack: where did you get your info that the Coast Guard had the highest per capita casualty rate of all services in the Vietnam theater?
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Bush was doing missions in Canada. Not likely to get shot down, but I would rather be in a swift boat! Smile
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
F. Rottles
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral Zumwalt estimated that,
Quote:

my sailors were taking casualties at the rate of 6% per month. So that on the average, my sailors and officers had about three-quarters of a... about a 75% probability of being a casualty during their year there.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/remember/jan-june00/zumwalt_1-10.html

I think I read that at any given time there were 3000 individuals either fighting on PCFs or supporting the men in combat. That was probably in 1968-69 and may have included the Coast Guard and Vietnamese allies, but maybe someone else has a reliable source for that at their fingertips.

It's all very bone-chilling. And honorable. That should go without saying -- and I'm sure it does here -- but given the stereotype of Vietnam veterans, it needs to be repeated plenty. In a strange way, the nomination of Kerry and the necessary response of the Swiftees is an event that was 3-decades in the making and has produced a national platform on which to try to set things right. Swiftees are serving their country again and doing good for all veterans -- of past wars and of the current war.

Like all the men and women who fought in Vietnam (with very few exceptions), the Swiftees served their country extremely well -- given their sacrifices and given the success of their operations. The more the electorate revisits and learns about this in the limelight of a presidential campaign, the more we, as a country, can express the pride we feel for all of them.

Quote:
In their five years of service, swift boat crews reportedly earned more awards for heroism and injuries under fire than any other Navy surface unit, perhaps any Navy unit that participated in the Vietnam Conflict. At least thirty-three officers and Sailors were killed in the line of duty aboard swift boats.

"It was General (Creighton) Abrams' view that the contribution made by (those who participated in Operation) SEALORDS sealed off the Delta and made possible by 1970, the pacification of that delta. Your ability to train your successors, the Vietnamese, made it possible for every Naval fighting man to be out of that war in 1970, five years before the end."

http://www.swiftboats.org/pcf1.htm

And in John Kerry there could never have been a more appropriate lightening rod. He did volunteer to campaign on his war record -- Vietnam, Cold War, and current war inclusive.

Edited to fix the last link and to also suggest reading Kerry's speech at the Navy Yards in the 1975 installation of the restored PCF 1 at that link. Scroll down. Be forewarned: you may need a bucket, depending on your tolerance for Kerry as a speaker of wartime remembrances.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The PCFs weren't bulletproof. Charlie could shoot at us from behind trees and fallen logs and lots of other places. Normally we just shot back at the bushes that looked promising. PCFs weren't armored either. The sides of the boat would deflect a bullet about as well as a paper target would. You haven't lived until you've seen bullet holes appear in the sides of the boat right next to where you're standing.

Coastal duty is what Kerry thought he was getting into. River duty in Charlie's neighborhood is what he got.

As bad as us Navy Swiftees had it, the Coast Guard, who were there before the Navy had the highest per capita casualty rate of all services that were in the Viet Nam theater of operations. It seemed that if a mission was going to be especially dangerous, the Coasties got it. The Coasties had the river and inland water training that the Navy lacked and they more or less paved the way for us, until we could come up to speed.

My hat's always off to the Coasties. They were very much forgotten in the river warfare accounts. And many of them were Swiftees.

As far as an F102 goes, the skin of that aircraft is only 40 thousandth of an inch thick aluminum. Will stop a bullet or rocket about as well as a PCF will. Also, it's a flying gas tank.

I think both swiftboat and F102 personnel were equally at risk when they went into bad neighborhoods. I was on PCFs and when you went on a mission there was never any talk about other GIs having it easier or worse that us. We took what we were dealt and that was that. The F102 pilots were probably of the same mind.

And according to the Coasties -- the Coasties got shot at by the Air Force-- see the links to the tragedy of the USCGC Pt. Welcome, including the mishandled communications. (The radio communications saga is/was part of the curriculum at the USCMC "TBS" (Marine Corps Officers Basic School) - of what not to do, and why the USMC does it better then the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard)

1. http://www.usni.org/navalhistory/Articles98/NHwells.htm
2. http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBCUTTERS/Point_Welcome.html

Friendly fire deaths are always tragic - as in any death of a young person (my older brother was a US Army "friendly fire" victim)
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the link provided by Hammer2

Quote:
According to the Air Force Safety Center, the lifetime Class A accident rate for the F-102 was 13.69 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, much higher than the average for today's combat aircraft. For example, the F-16 has an accident rate of 4.14, the F-15 is at 2.47, the F-117 at 4.07, the S-3 at 2.6, and the F-18 at 4.9. Even the Marine Corps' AV-8B, regarded as the most dangerous aircraft in US service today, has a lifetime accident rate of only 11.44 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours.

Also from that link:
Bush had approx. 600 flight hours.
875 F-102A entered service.
259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 pilots.

So 600*13.69/100000 = 0.08214 or 8.2% (probility of Bush having an accident)
70/259 = 0.27 (number of deaths per accident)
8.2%*0.27 = 2.2% (Bush's chance of dying in F102 accident while in the Guard)

I believe that's about the same as the chance a soldier/sailer had of dying in Viet Nam if sent there.
Boundless
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this some time ago, from the perspective of:
what were the expectations of GWB & JfK when they enlisted.

When GWB enlisted, the F-102A was being used in combat
in RVN, and was just coming off a terrible safety record.
GW's unit was in RVN. He probably expected to be flying
a dangerous airplane, and that he could expect to be sent
to RVN.

As luck would have it, he ended up flying a desk in GA,
despite a reported attempt to get an RVN assignment,
even if it meant retraining on some other a/c type. I'm
told that during the years Bush was in, only 8 pilots died
in F-102As, so it ended up being safer than he might
have expected at the outset. But signing up to be a pilot
in any service is a dumb place to "hide" from danger.
Indeed, if the story of Barnes "helping" GW get into the
TANG was true, then Barnes must have been trying to
get GW killed, based on the situation at the time.

Kerry signed up in the USNR, and found himself in the blue
water Navy, far from direct combat risk, which may well
have been his intention (based on later admissions in
news interviews). When he transferred to PCFs, they were
doing coastal Market Time. I suspect that whatever hazard
MT represented, the JFK-PT-109 connection was
irresistible to someone who literally saw himself as JFK-2.

As luck would have it, JfK found himself doing SEALORD,
which was very dangerous indeed. Oops. This is not to
plan. A man could get killed. Little wonder that he figured
out how to game the medal system and flee within a few
months.

The "hazard" expectations (motives) for these two gents
would seem to be have been opposites at the outset,
and opposite at the outcomes. I don't know that we can
today nail it down mathematically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: