SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It Was Ford who gave Kerry clemency, not Carter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
there was one time the Kerry said something strange about bush's 'honorable discharge' like 'you can have a honorable discharge and still not have served.... or not completed ... your service'.... something very close to that.... I wondered what he meant..... now we know - he sure knew about it!
Navychief checked in on this? he has the scoop I bet.... bet he has the application ! yahooo! but kerry wouldn't have sat in a senate hearing as a deserter would he have? they'd a got him! bet it's just a 'less than honorable discharge' changed to honorable.....

According to the above, Kerry just needed to apply for Clemency as a Deserter, probably from the Reserves, before March 31, 1975. My guess is that he was part of the 26 that Ford would approve once they had completed their 24 months of service. At this point, they were only offered an undesireable discharge.

It wasn't until around the time Kerry would have completed his 24 months that Ford added the following: Former service members who were wounded in combat or who received decorations for valor in combat in Vietnam and who applied to the clemency program be reviewed on an individual basis. directing that these discharges be recharacterized as under honorable conditions, unless you find a compelling reason to the contrary in any case.

SBD
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great research - you're onto something.
SBD - make sure an PM Navy Chief about this so he sees it Cool
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mangdawg wrote:
In order to assist the identification process, I am requesting that you provide to the Secretaries of Defense and Transportation, as appropriate, the names and service numbers of all former service members who applied to the Presidential Clemency Board program and whose records indicate that they were wounded in combat or that they received decorations for valor in combat.

wouldn't the above lists be subject to FOI since they're no longer personell records?

They probably would be subject to FOI disclosure. I am sending this link to Drudge and LGF.

Suggest sending the link to this thread to other blogs as well.

-- FDL
stcromwell99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be most helpful to have links to all those citations and letters posted in the beginning of the thread. Makes for a more authentic post. (Even if you have to make scans of them and post them.)
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: It Was Ford who gave Kerry clemency, not Carter? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Gerald R. Ford: 1974-77

1077 - Letter to Mrs. Philip A. Hart on Amnesty for Vietnam-Era Draft Evaders and Deserters.

January 19th, 1977

Dear lane:

Since our recent conversation, I have thought a great deal about your request that I grant amnesty to all Vietnam war era draft evaders and deserters.1 I have carefully reviewed my clemency program which enabled individuals to earn clemency discharges and pardons and believe it is a program consistent with America's best traditions of compassion and forgiveness. When I established the program, I did so in the belief that it was very important for the country that the post-Vietnam reconciliation take place in an atmosphere that restored unity and at the same time maintained a respect for the law and for diversity of opinion. Of the more than 21,700 people who applied to the clemency program, approximately 13,500 have received or are in the process of earning pardons, clemency discharges, or other benefits.

1See footnote 1, Item 1039.

I know how firmly and deeply you and Phil and your children have felt about Vietnam amnesty, and I respect that feeling and belief: However, I also have a strong personal belief that earned clemency was the right approach to healing our country's Vietnam wounds and to creating a mutual understanding among all those individuals and families who were personally involved in the Vietnam war, from those who felt they could not serve to those who lost a child, a husband, or a father. I thus have decided to maintain my position on earned clemency and hope you will understand. Within my clemency program, however, I have directed that the other than honorable discharges received by former service members who were wounded in combat or received decorations for valor in combat in Vietnam each be reviewed and upgraded to discharges under honorable conditions, unless there is a compelling reason to the contrary in any case.

Betty and I want to convey again our deep condolences to you, your children, and to the entire Hart family on the loss of Phil.

Sincerely,

GERALD R. FORD

SBD

President Carter was sworn in on Jan 21, 1977 so this would have been one of president Fords last acts. And since he pretty much was a lamb duck it didn’t cost him any political capital to pardon the dodgers. I have been wrong all these years for hanging this on Carter.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be the skeptic again, but I don't think that Kerry had his discharge upgraded under the Ford program.

From reading the Ford program proclamations at the beginning of the thread, the program appears to be strictly limited to deserters and draft dogers only.

We know Kerry was not a draft doger. He also was not a deserter from active duty. The only possibility left would be desertion from the reserves.

Desertion from the active duty component is difficult enough to prove. Proving desertion from the Individual Ready Reserve - which I believe was Kerry's status between January 1970 and sometime in 1972, and which I believe did not require drilling - would have been virtually impossible. Moreover, he obviously was still on the rolls of the USNR in early/mid-1972, when he was transferred to the Standby Reserve.

However, there is a alternate possibility that just might be plausible.

Known Facts:
a. Kerry was on active duty in October 1969.
b. 15 October 1969 was a Wednesday - a normal duty day.
c. 15 October 1969 appears to be the day that Kerry piloted Walinsky et al to anti-war activities.
d. According to Kerry's leave records, he was not on leave on 15 October 1969. If he was not on pass or otherwise excused from duty, he would have been required to be at his place of duty.
e. The statute of limitations for AWOL and Failure to Repair in the late 1960s/early 1970s was 3 years.

Hypothesis:
a. Kerry was not on leave, pass, or otherwise excused from duty on Wednesday, 15 October 1969.
b. Kerry nevertheless "skated out" without authority to pilot Walinsky et al to antiwar activities on this date. (Maybe he called in falsely claiming to have a civilian medical or other appointment and was told "take care of it and get here as soon as you can" or something similar.)
c. The fact that Kerry "skated out" of duty on 15 October 1969 was not known to the Navy when Kerry left active duty.
d. Sometime in late 1971 or early 1972, some USNR official with the proverbial hard0n for antiwar protesters gets word of Kerry's 15 October 1969 actions. He "connects the dots" regarding Kerry's piloting on 15 October 1969 and no leave taken for that day.
e. The matter is turned over to NCIS. They confirm (possibly with info from the FBI) that Kerry did indeed pilot Walinsky et al to antiwar activities on 15 Oct 1969 and was indeed absent from duty without authority when he did so.
f. Charges for "failure to repair" are sworn prior to 14 October 1972.
g. Kerry is confronted and threatened with involuntary return to active duty and court-martial. He decides not to risk a felony conviction (which would likely end his plans of a law degree and a future political career) and resigns in lieu of court-martial instead. At the time, I believe he'd have received an "undesirable" discharge for resignation in lieu of court-martial. I believe he would have also had to sign paperwork acknowledging the conduct leading to the discharge (current OTH discharge procedures require the individual accepting the OTH discharge in lieu of court-martial do do this).
h. Kerry then later applies under the Carter program for discharge review, receiving a discharge upgrade.

Given the inane hue and cry raised about Bush and his last year in the guard, if this is true the irony would be wonderful: Kerry receiving an undesirable discharge for BEING ABSENT FROM HIS ASSIGNED PLACE OF DUTY.

I'm not convinced this happened - but I'm not convinced it DIDN'T happen, either.

Comments?

Last edited by Hondo on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and gals. Please give me some time on this. There are other things happening behind the scenes on this.

I promise that Tom Lipscomb and I will give you another piece of this puzzle and hopefully the final piece.

I just need your patience Cool Easier said than done, right?

Thanks,

- Chief
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By CTW:

'Who are the children mentioned?'

From what I recall, the Hart's had a couple of kids. One of the sons was involved in a minor scandal--don't remember right now if it was drugs or DWI. Senior moments keep creeping up on me. Embarassed

It was right around this time that I finally realized I was voting for the wrong party and switched my allegiance to conservative causes. Smile
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it, Chief. We all owe you.

Next time I'm in San Antonio dinner's on me, mi amigo.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo,

You keep us all honest.

Be careful! You know what happened to Socrates. Folks just couldn't stand that much truth.

Sam
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Carter involved? Reply with quote

Ok, I don't get it.
If Ford gave the clemency, then what is this letter from Carter's Sec. of the Navy doing on Kerry's web site? Why did Carter have to get involved?

Among Kerry's released records is a 1977 cover letter from Jimmy Carter's Navy Secretary, W. Graham Claytor. What is revealing about this document is that it notes Kerry's original discharge was subject to review by a "board of officers" -- yet no such review should be necessary for an Honorable Discharge.
Isn't his "published web site" discharge dated 1978?

The review was conducted in accordance with "Title 10, U.S. Code Section 1162 and 1163," which pertains to grounds for involuntary separation from military service.
Is this the proving ground for a second or changed discharge, after a review?
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

I'm a coffee drinker; I don't much care for tea - especially when it's "Grecian formula".

And I especially detest Kool-Aid. (grin)

Sgt-Keeper:

There's a thread giving the text of 10 USC 1162 and 10 USC 1163 as effective in the mid/late-1970s in the Resources and Research Forum. It hasn't been active lately, so it's not on page 1 any more.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo,
there was an incident with a soldier on the west coast iirc, that was stripped of everything for protesting while in uniform. Since, that is how simplistic it could be, there were more than ample opportunities to strip kerry, from the simplistic on up.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrb111:

Hope that's it and that someone has a photo. However, I simply can't believe that even Lurch is THAT dumb. I think that "don't go in uniform" was VERY common knowledge among any uniformed folks who went to antiwar rallies.

The info I've seen re: his 15 October 1969 actions indicated he was not in uniform and did not speak at any of the rallies.
mangdawg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
lrb111:

The info I've seen re: his 15 October 1969 actions indicated he was not in uniform and did not speak at any of the rallies.

fatigues with insignias or medals with classifys as uniform. in fact, he broke a rule by appearing at the commitee in fatigues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: