SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCF94 Damage Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the book. Didn't at least one account claim that a second mine blew up near Kerry's boat and that was what knocked Rassmann off? Of course, there have been different accounts of exactly which boat Rassmann was on, so who knows?
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

Again, I'm no authority, but it doesn't seem to me that "screws curled and chipped" would render a boat inoperable. Question for me is IF that IS the 94 damage report, how'd it take that damage? Anyone got the book out there?

a boat with a curled wheel can still fuction if all the blades are curled all about the same amount ,,as far as a chipped wheel ,,he could have got that also being aground ,,anything from a root ,wood ,or even a rock could cause a chip in the wheel

like i said before ,,it sounds like the boat got aground and had a hard time getting off being aground

i use to work on boats at a railway for pulling boats out of the water
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ET posted over on Bandit's board that the damage in the 94 report doesn't match the damage to 3. Seems to think that that is really the 94 boat's report.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert either, but I THINK what the deal is. A BOAT went over an under water mine. When it exploded it damaged the boat to the extent that it had to be towed. The explosion also knocked a bunch of sailors off of the boat into the water. That part of the story is consistent.

Inconsistencies come up on which boat went over the mine, which boat Rasmussen was on and the fact that Kerry had to "come back" to pick Rasmussen up.

The document they are referring to says the 94 boat is the one that was damaged, but it that were the case, how could Kerry have come back to rescue Rasmussen and how could he have towed the 3 boat. He put that document on his site, that said it was the 94 boat that had been damaged. Not so. Perhaps that is why it was pulled? CAUGHT.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Neill said in the interview that the damage to the 94 boat was done the day before but I didn't look at the date on the report.

Others have said that the damage shown on the report wasn't enough to keep it from functioning.
Norman Rogers
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: No damage report for PCF-94 on swiftboats.net Reply with quote

http://swiftboats.net/index.htm#pcf90 doesn't show a damage report for this boat for the Bronze Start adventure.

But, http://swiftboats.net/index.htm#pcf1 has this entry for PCF-3

"- PCF-3 was heavily damaged, by the explosion of an enemy mine, under the hull, 14 March 1969."
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman,

It's good to see that that site is back up.

Interesting notes for 94. One is that Kerry is not listed in the crew, nor is Alston, although Peck is.

There is a mention of light damage being done on 1/29 (is that incident in which Peck and Alston were wounded?). Also, this boat was overhauled and put back in service on 1/29.

This obviously isn't the original document and I don't know where the info came from, but it's not complete.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note:

As much of the discussion within this thread is speculative, I'm moving it to the "R&R" forum.

Please note that I have amended the topic title as well to reflect a less speculative and more general view.

Thanks
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Kerry is only listed on PCF-66... ???
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think swiftboats.net does a good job of trying to id people and their boat assignments, but it's not the definitive answer by any means. (I've been looking for that but haven't found it. If anyone knows a source for duty rosters, I'd appreciate knowing about it.)
Heath Hunnicutt
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Where to write for the report on the 3 boat, and question Reply with quote

Where can I write to get the record for the 3 boat ? It must be in a repository unless it was lost, but if 94's was available, then 3's should be, too, I would think. That scan says it is page 2. Did it come from associated press?

I cant see how to read the date. Why does 1413whatever meant the 13th?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: