SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self-Inflicted wounds and the M-79
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember reading the doctor's account where he said the piece of metal most likely came from an M-79 round. At that point I figured this was something that had happened before!

The fact that some of you here personally know people who have received such shrapnel shows that such an occurence was not an anomalous, freak accident. This, in turn, supports the idea that Kerry's "wound" came from the round he himself fired.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to "wound" yourself with an M-79 fragmentation round, similar to what Kerry did. Most of the wire was protruding from the skin in the medical report, that sounds right, too. I don't think you could be seriously injured unless it hit you in the eye. He was just lucky he got one that cheap. Now it's turning into unlucky. Very Happy
concerned_voter
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: shrapnel wounds Reply with quote

Since one of the respondants to this thread has mentioned he has some shrapnel in his stomach I thought I would ask this here. Is it common to leave shrapnel in after a wound? i wouyld have thought unless it was near the spinal cord or something these things would normally be removed. Kerry claims to still have shrapnel in his hip. I quess from the second Purple Heart?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common to leave small bb sized fragments in place. limited liklihood of infection and more damage caused in opening the wound to remove the shrapnel. I'm the one who wrote about it. Laughing

Last edited by ASPB on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Kerry's left thigh, not his hip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: