SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proof Kerry and His Supporting Crew are Making it Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I think the blurb below it belongs to the picture:

"On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, slighting wounding Kerry in the right arm. He was awarded his third Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valor.

PCF (Patrol Craft Fast) 94 crew in March 1969,
from left, Gene Thorson, David Alston, Thomas Belodeau, Del Sandusky, and John Kerry."
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then the date of the picture is off or Alston's injury date ,from his mother, is off.
The date of Alstons injury need to be verified.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad Belknap wrote:
Well then the date of the picture is off or Alston's injury date ,from his mother, is off.
The date of Alstons injury need to be verified.

"Tour of Duty" says Alston was wounded in January and replaced by Short. It also say that Short was a new guy having "arrived in Vietnam in February". We know Short was aboard on 28 Feb...So the question is, where was Alston. Tour of Duty implies that Short came aboard in early February and was still on the boat in March, as follows.

Quote:
"Short felt lucky to join the talented crew of PCF-94, who would need all of their combined skills and experience to make it through the harrowing next month alive. According to the invaluable handwrtten personal log Michael Medeiros kept of every mission he went on in 1969 PCF's OinC John Kerry conducted daily river raids on Swift boat missions 81 through 98." Page 288.

If we read between the lines of this paragraph Kerry's first mission on the 94 boat was on February 8, 1969. Further it implies Short was the tub-gunner for the entire period. This makes sense because Ted Peck was OinC on PCF-94 on 28 Jan 1969 and Kerry was still on PCF-44 in Cat Lo.

So we're left with....where was Alston? When was the photo with Alston taken? The caption says March but it appears Short was the tub-gunner then. Hmmmm?

I've emailed Ted Peck who was OinC of the 94 boat before Kerry. Maybe he can shed some light on this.

Last edited by ASPB on Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Alston return to duty after that nasty headwound ?...in the March photo he had a full head of hair which certainly would have been shaved bald in treating the wound, JMHO
I am getting abit uncomfortable as these accusations of deciet grow beyond Kerry, extremely sad if Alston is found to be lying too.
The truth must be told !
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Do you have a site for it that provides the id of the subjects of the photo? I think this may have been the 44 boat not the 94 with Alston.
Bandit.....Help!

No, if it was the 44 Gardner would be in it and a few others since he served with Kerry for his entire stint on the 44 before Kerry replaced Peck after him and Alston suffered major wounds. Bet this was on the LST the 44 and 94 shared. and Kery just happened to be chatting with the 94 crew when Mederios was taking pictures.

I researched this all mourning. No way Alson ever served with Kerry. What is more puzzling is Alstons mother said Kerry had called her looking for David. Alston's mother said David never talked much about the war, BUT after he had a reunion with Kerry a few years ago he talked about how good, good, good a man Kerry is. Do I smell bought?

Kerry hailed as war hero, tested leader Nation learns what local family knows: Alston speaks 'so well'

By Andrew Dys The Herald
(Published July 28, 2004)

I saved article but not link, do a google search for Ida Alston
to pull it.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad Belknap wrote:
Did Alston return to duty after that nasty headwound ?...in the March photo he had a full head of hair which certainly would have been shaved bald in treating the wound, JMHO
I am getting abit uncomfortable as these accusations of deciet grow beyond Kerry, extremely sad if Alston is found to be lying too.
The truth must be told !

What March photo? You mean the Jan. picture.
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
Tad Belknap wrote:
The truth must be told !

What March photo? You mean the Jan. picture.

Bandit,

Go back in thread to your last post and catch up.

Tom
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylin19 wrote:
actually, I think the blurb below it belongs to the picture:

"On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, slighting wounding Kerry in the right arm. He was awarded his third Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valor.

from left, Gene Thorson, David Alston, Thomas Belodeau, Del Sandusky, and John Kerry."

Wrong Picture date. The March 1969 picture Alston is not in it, it is Fred Short in it. The Jan. Picture has Alston in it.
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
ASPB wrote:
Do you have a site for it that provides the id of the subjects of the photo? I think this may have been the 44 boat not the 94 with Alston.
Bandit.....Help!

No, if it was the 44 Gardner would be in it and a few others since he served with Kerry for his entire stint on the 44 before Kerry replaced Peck after him and Alston suffered major wounds. Bet this was on the LST the 44 and 94 shared. and Kery just happened to be chatting with the 94 crew when Mederios was taking pictures.

I researched this all mourning. No way Alson ever served with Kerry. What is more puzzling is Alstons mother said Kerry had called her looking for David. Alston's mother said David never talked much about the war, BUT after he had a reunion with Kerry a few years ago he talked about how good, good, good a man Kerry is. Do I smell bought?

Kerry hailed as war hero, tested leader Nation learns what local family knows: Alston speaks 'so well'

By Andrew Dys The Herald
(Published July 28, 2004)

I saved article but not link, do a google search for Ida Alston
to pull it.

I think you're wrong about this. the 44 boat was in Cat Lo as far as I can determine, Not at SeaFloat. That is it was in Cat Lo which is 150 miles miles from An Thoi from December 16 until Kerry was transferred back to An Thoi, sans boat, in early Feb of 69
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Tad Belknap on Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
I think you're wrong about this. the 44 boat was in Cat Lo as far as I can determine, Not at SeaFloat. That is it was in Cat Lo which is 150 miles miles from An Thoi from December 16 until Kerry was transferred back to An Thoi, sans boat, in early Feb of 69

Well, looking at COSDIV11 ops for Jan. 1969 Kerry's PCF-44 is involved with missions with COSDIV11, so it links him and places Kerry's boat there. I am not talking about Seafloat, that thing came after Kerry left I am pretty sure.

Last edited by The bandit on Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad Belknap wrote:
6 pix down on this page link shows Alston aboard in March....

I am pretty sure that is not March. The only March picture has Fred Short in it and not Alston. Kerry's web site never put a date to to this picture, but has the others.

Also, if it was REALLY March what is Alston doing with all his hair?

Get rid of the longggggggg link, it is skewing the entire page here!!!!!!
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, look at that pic with Alston and Kerry real close and look at the water. It's blue, not brown. Any significance to that? And is that a swift they are standing on?
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
ASPB wrote:

Well, looking at COSDIV11 ops for Jan. 1969 Kerry's PCF-44 is involved with missions with COSDIV11, so it links him and places Kerry's boat there. I am not talking about Seafloat, that thing came after Kerry left I am pretty sure.

Can you please send me the COSDIV 11 Operations documents as discussed last night... It'll simplify things methinks.

Caption: Kerry and crew stand together in An Thoi, Vietnam, on February 28, 1969, after presentation of Kerry's Silver Star. He also received a Purple Heart for a minor wound. From left: Del Sandusky, John Kerry, Gene Thorson, Thomas Belodeau. Kneeling from left, Mike Medeiros, Fred Short.

Ok the date is wrong. The awards were given in An Thoi on or about 4 March 69. Kerry had been given 2 days leave in Saigon and flew back to An Thoi for the award ceremony with Zumwalt as a "morale booster" (Tour of Duty page 294)

Caption: On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, slighting wounding Kerry in the right arm. He was awarded his third Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valor.
from left, Gene Thorson, David Alston, Thomas Belodeau, Del Sandusky, and John Kerry.

"Tour of Duty" says Alston was wounded in January and replaced by Short. It also say that Short was a new guy having "arrived in Vietnam in February". We know Short was aboard on 28 Feb...So the question is, where was Alston. Tour of Duty implies that Short came aboard in early February and was still on the boat in March, as follows.

"Short felt lucky to join the talented crew of PCF-94, who would need all of their combined skills and experience to make it through the harrowing next month alive. According to the invaluable handwrtten personal log Michael Medeiros kept of every mission he went on in 1969 PCF's OinC John Kerry conducted daily river raids on Swift boat missions 81 through 98." Page 288.

If we read between the lines of this paragraph Kerry's first mission on the 94 boat was on February 8, 1969. Further it implies Short was the tub-gunner for the entire period. This makes sense because Ted Peck was OinC on PCF-94 on 29 Jan 1969 with Alston and Kerry was still on PCF-44 in Cat Lo or (maybe) in the COSDIV 11 AOR. What's confusing this is the FitrepP signed by Streuli tranferring Kerry back to Cosdiv 11.

Jay...anyone. Do we know the date of the Cosdiv 13 Fitrep?

So we're left with....where was Alston? When and where was the photo with Alston taken? The caption says March but it appears, from Tour of Duty, Short was the tub-gunner from early Feb until 13 Mar. Hmmmm?

Last edited by ASPB on Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, My scanner is out of order due to insering the printer power supply to it.
Here is the relevant info though typed exactly from the reports:

JANUARY 1969 COSDIV11 OPERATIONS

(Dates showing Kerry's 44 involvement during this month)

13: PCFs 50, 88 and 44 conducted operations in the Song Ong Doc. Units
were sent up river and air strikes were called in to hit known VC ambush
sites. Results of PCF fire: 2 VC KIA (BC).

15: PCFs 6, 9, 43, 44, 71, 72, 93, 66 and 88, together with EOD/UDT units
conducted operations in the Song Bo De resulting in 65 bunkers destroyed.
One USN received shrapnel wounds during operation.

20: PCFs 21, 31, 44 and 66 provided NGFS in support of RF Company 372
conducting 2 ground sweeps north of Song Ong Doc. GDA: 1 VC KIA (BC).

PCFs 66 and 31 transmitted the entire length of the Song Bo De - Song Cua
Lon, destroying 10 sampans enroute.

21: PCFs 21 and 44 encountered an evading sampan in the early mourning
hours while probing the Song Cua Lon. Units took sampan under fire
resulting in 1 VC KIA (BC) and 2 others captured. Sampan contained about
5,000 pounds of food and medical supplies. Units attempted to tow the
sampan to sea, however, it sank in tow.

Jan. 21 is last date COSDIV11 shows 44 involvement for January.

I do not trust anything in Brinkleys book. I think Short has given us all the info we need. It is pretty certain Alston was medavac to the 29th Evac Hospital at Binh Thuy on Jan. 29. Some reports say he suffered a bullet wound to the head, others say shrapnel. Does his wound look like a bullet wound? Any corpsman can hen help us here?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: