SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRUDGE...HUGE NEWS. KERRY-CBS CONNECTION
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: DRUDGE...HUGE NEWS. KERRY-CBS CONNECTION Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040921/ap_on_el_pr/cbs_guard_kerry_1&printer=1

Kerry Aide Talked to Retired Guard Officer

1 hour, 10 minutes ago

NEW YORK - At the behest of CBS, an adviser to John Kerry (news - web sites) said he talked to a central figure in the controversy over President Bush (news - web sites)'s National Guard service shortly before disputed documents were released.

Photo
AP Photo

Joe Lockhart denied any connection between the presidential campaign and the papers. Lockhart, the second Kerry ally to confirm contact with retired Texas National Guard officer Bill Burkett, said he made the call at the suggestion of CBS producer Mary Mapes.

"He had some advice on how to deal with the Vietnam issue and the Swift boat" allegations, Lockhart said Monday, referring to GOP-fueled accusations that Kerry exaggerated his Vietnam War record. "He said these guys play tough and we have to put the Vietnam experience into context and have Kerry talk about it more."

Lockhart said he thanked Burkett for his advice after a three to four minute call.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this revelation, the CBS story has been directly linked to the SBVT. With that in mind, and since you appear to be first with this report, I'm moving this to the main forum.

Thanks!

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBVT has now been linked to the CBS story...have fun members.

Quote:
Kerry Aide Talked to Retired Guard Officer
By Associated Press
September 20, 2004, 9:17 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- At the behest of CBS, an adviser to John Kerry said he talked to a central figure in the controversy over President Bush's National Guard service shortly before disputed documents were released.

Joe Lockhart denied any connection between the presidential campaign and the papers. Lockhart, the second Kerry ally to confirm contact with retired Texas National Guard officer Bill Burkett, said he made the call at the suggestion of CBS producer Mary Mapes.

"He had some advice on how to deal with the Vietnam issue and the Swift boat" allegations, Lockhart said Monday, referring to GOP-fueled accusations that Kerry exaggerated his Vietnam War record. "He said these guys play tough and we have to put the Vietnam experience into context and have Kerry talk about it more."

Lockhart said he thanked Burkett for his advice after a three- to four-minute call.

Lockhart said he does not recall talking to Burkett about Bush's Guard records. "It's baseless to say the Kerry campaign had anything to do with this," he said.

(emphasis mine)

Newsday - con't
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complimentary bio on Joe Lockhart. No dirt here but may spur discussion.
http://www.harrywalker.com/speakers_template.cfm?spea_id=388
http://www.io.com/~cjburke/clinton/990920.html

Last edited by Tom Poole on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Rather says that if Barnes has ties to the Kerry campaign that it should be investigated.

But, he didn't believe there were ties between Barnes and Kerry - after all, they checked it out, beforehand.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: There is more to the CBS scandal Reply with quote

It appears from the AP wire, and ABC News account, that Mapes, the CBS exec who produced the Bush guard service story, called Joe Lockhart, advisor to the Kerry campaign (and former Clinton press secretary), suggesting that Lockhart talk to Burkett, the source of the fraudulent documents.

Why would Mapes do that? Did she do it on her own, or with Rather's ok and knowledge? This kind of coordination between a major news network and a political campaign on a story impugning the integrity of the President of the U.S. raises many very troubling issues.

A key issue will be: was Mapes coordinating with those in the Kerry campaign who were working on the "Favored Son" anti-Bush ad? Were they sharing information on documentation, sources, etc.?

CBS says it was "deceived by its source" -- but that makes it sound like CBS is the innocent victim of the fraud. I rather expect -- excuse the pun -- that CBS was coordinating with the Kerry campaign, and if that is true, it will eventually get exposed.

That will be the true shocker in this sad tale of the fall of the Big Eye.
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the flow as I see it...

Burkett's MSWord program.

Burkett calls Max Cleland

Cleland calls Lockhart

Lockhart calls CBS

In the background, new 527 and DNC ad's are created

Show time with RAthER
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betcha end up being dang close, DenisC. Wink

Where does Barnes fit in? He did the 60 Minutes piece and the moveon commercial.

RAthER said he was credible. Razz
Kathy Kay
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: There is more to the CBS scandal Reply with quote

Truegrit wrote:
It appears from the AP wire, and ABC News account, that Mapes, the CBS exec who produced the Bush guard service story, called Joe Lockhart, advisor to the Kerry campaign (and former Clinton press secretary), suggesting that Lockhart talk to Burkett, the source of the fraudulent documents.

Why would Mapes do that?

Well that's exactly my question. Is Mapes having a daily discourse with the Kerry campaign as far with whom they should or should not speak? Apparently the Kerry campaign is looking at this as some sort of proof that they had nothing to do with this but no one yet has asked the simple question: "What in the world is Mapes doing telling the Kerry campaign with whom they need to speak to get dirt on Bush?"

This is really contorted and disgusting.
Devil_dog_for_truth
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Dan Rather says that if Barnes has ties to the Kerry campaign that it should be investigated.

But, he didn't believe there were ties between Barnes and Kerry - after all, they checked it out, beforehand.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What? Isn't Barnes one of the Kerry campaigns largest donors?

Isn't he a part time neighbor and "windsurfing buddy" of Kerry's in Nantucket?

How convenient that the democrats had their slickly-produced "Fortunate Son" video ready to air the same day the Bush memos et al. were released on 60 minutes.

I guess Dan Rather fact-checked all of the above.

Nope, I don't see any connections there. (sarcasm in here)

What did Kerry know and when did he know it?
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: There is more to the CBS scandal Reply with quote

Truegrit wrote:

Why would Mapes do that? Did she do it on her own, or with Rather's ok and knowledge? This kind of coordination between a major news network and a political campaign on a story impugning the integrity of the President of the U.S. raises many very troubling issues.

A key issue will be: was Mapes coordinating with those in the Kerry campaign who were working on the "Favored Son" anti-Bush ad? Were they sharing information on documentation, sources, etc.?

CBS says it was "deceived by its source" -- but that makes it sound like CBS is the innocent victim of the fraud. I rather expect -- excuse the pun -- that CBS was coordinating with the Kerry campaign, and if that is true, it will eventually get exposed.

That will be the true shocker in this sad tale of the fall of the Big Eye.

It's about time this came to light. You have to be careful of who your bedfellows are, I once heard. You might end up someday in bed with a snake, or worse. Looks like See BS never heard that one Shocked
Kathy Kay
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know that anyone has identified him as a big contributor but he's definitely been identified as a big fundraiser and, yes, one of the Nantucket elite.

One additional point -- how is it that Bush is being plugged as being born with a silver spoon in his mouth and Kerry hasn't? Who is it that went to boarding school in Europe for goodness sakes?

This duplicity in coverage/criticism is going to give me a coronary before it's all over.
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy, Barnes did not want to go on by himself acording to Newsweek's Howard Fineman a few min's ago.

I also learned on PowerLine that Rather said the following. "If we find out Barnes had any connections to Kerry, we will report it.".

Lets see... A house next to him in Nantucket. His number 2 or 3 fundraiser. Friends for 30 years.

No connection there. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE
Devil_dog_for_truth
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy Kay wrote:
Quote:

I don't know that anyone has identified him as a big contributor but he's definitely been identified as a big fundraiser and, yes, one of the Nantucket elite.

You're right. He is one of Kerry's top fundraisers. URL below is dated Jan. 2004.

http://www.capitaleye.org/KerryFRchart.1.14.04.asp

Good point on Kerry's blue blood lineage. However, most of his wealth seems to come from marrying rich women. Very Happy
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? I thought I read somewhere on this site that Barnes was a Kerry campaign vice chair. Maybe someone can confirm that? And I believe he has raised quite a bit more money in addition to what he's donated, no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: