SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just had the weirdest conversation with a co-worker
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Just had the weirdest conversation with a co-worker Reply with quote

Man!

Some people have a weird sense of how things should be. It all started over politics of course and I got drawn in.

It went from all politicians are liars to we have too many nukes and we are the problem in the world.

This is someone who has never voted and says he never will, so don't worry he's not voting for Kerry. He says I'm deluding myself if I think my vote counts.

I wonder how many people there are that think that way?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to.

I don't any more. My attitude was already changing, but Bill Clinton cured me of that forever.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know better too, but I got dragged in by him and he's one of those people that won't stop talking.

In fact he just started up again and I had to tell him to stop.
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some sense it is just as patriotic not voting. If you are alright with whom ever your fellow Americans decide on, That is alright. Me I'll cast my vote as the last election was way to close. When it is over I hope that most agree with my philosophy and respect the President that America elects. When the voting is over, the bumper stickers come off and the sign in the lawn is retired to the garage. I will not call my neighbors, loosers nor will I gloat. In the same respect I will not disrespect the President nor will I stand by while others do so. Even if that means standing behind You know who.
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I always stop the non-voters is to tell them if they did not vote then they gave up the right to B**ch about the goverment. I have not missed a presidential vote since I received the right to do so.

My wife informed me a couple months ago that she was not going to vote this year and I call BS on her. Told her she would vote even if she wrote in Mickey Mouse when she did. Now after all the lies and smears against the Pres she told me last night she was voting for Pres Bush. She has also started to yell at the TV and the oldest daughter is going nuts listening to both of us going off.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time your co-worker spews nonsense ask him/her if cutting off the head of a construction worker or truck driver the moral equivalent of putting panties on the head of an arrested terrorist?

Ask your co-worker how much financial aid the countries of Africa who have received billions from US for AIDS problems have sent to the people in Florida who have had their homes destroyed by the hurricanes.

Ask your co-worker how many American nukes were present in Breslen Russia when 34 terrorists murdered over 300 children and their parents and teachers.
WallaceNails
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vote doesnt count?

The voter turn out is a sad thing in the USA. I read somewhere awhile ago that only 1/2 of the population that is ELIGBLE to vote, actually is REGISTERED to vote.

On top of that, in most elections only about 1/2 of the REGISTERED voters actually bother to go to the polls and “pull the lever”.

So in simple math, that means that 25% of the voting eligible public decides who represents us in public office. If you break it down even further, if a candidate gets at least half the vote, he/she wins. So it comes down to 13% of the voting age population that decides who wins elections.

13%

That makes each and every vote very important.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked the polls at the last election. We had 300+ registered voters in our precinct. I don't remember the exact number but we were lucky if 50 showed up. It's not like they had to travel across town in a blizzard. The polling place was in the neighorhood elementary school for heaven's sake.

Vote, every vote does count.
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overheard some construction workers at a local pizza spot at lunch yesterday talking guns. One did ask they thought Bush was doing. They seemed to think it was ok. Couldn't really hear them. One did say "doesn't matter who you vote for they are going to pu in whoever they want. They went back to guns I guess. I went away troubled that people really buy into that idea. Who is the "they"? Who promotes such thinking.. or lack there of? In my opinion, the left taps into this feeling or belief system: there being some entity in charge, behind closed doors making the calls and that all politics and voting is a joke.
I hate seeing peopple fall prey to the disenfranchised rhetoric rather than saying NO! I am to be represented and will vote. The dem ads here in FL are telling folks their vote won't be counted, and that some were kept from voting last time, etc etc. I find that so damaging and devisive. Sad. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: vote Reply with quote

When they say thier not voting I ask why? If I sense they would of voted for kerry anyway. I tell them "ya your right". I dont want to take any unnessesary chances!
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard in Austriala you have to register to vote when you reach voting age, than if you don't vote you are sent a bill for $10 , or something like that. Don't know if it's true, but it's an idea.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't see why the public good is better served by a larger number of the ignorant voting. If you can't take the time to study the issues and inform yourself, DON'T VOTE! People who care hate to see their vote nullified by someone who gets their information from MTV!
fanningp
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vote doesn't count? Do you know that voter fraud here in Wisconsin is probably the worst of any state than anywhere in the country!!!!!

Don't you think the Dems know this?

Right now there are groups actively working college campuses around the state attempting to get people to the elections boards, supposedly "nonpartisan", at least I hope anyway, to cast their ballot on absentee ballots. Yes, thats right, in Wisconsin, ANY RESIDENT can request an absentee ballot. So long as their is a signature and a witness.

Already election boards around the state are crying foul because they have hundreds of registrations with no ID that they have to mail back for proper identification.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/aug04/255239.asp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

margie wrote:
I've heard in Austriala you have to register to vote when you reach voting age, than if you don't vote you are sent a bill for $10 , or something like that. Don't know if it's true, but it's an idea.

Voting is required in Austrailia. don't know about fines tho.

I used to vote for the person.

Ever since defending the indefensible I've voted stright party.

I've been to functions where a speaker announced his party affiliation and how proud he was for so being. Here in Texas you had to look up the canidate to see what party he belonged to because they quit putting Democrat on their signs.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! When I posted this yesterday I never thought it would be at the top of the page this morning.

I like all the comments and it makes me realize that there are people who deeply care about voting. I have to work everyday with this guy who constantly moans about how nothing ever works right.

It gets old after a while and it gets me all bound up too.

I didn't vote until I was 26 and I used to think it didn't matter either and I was politically savy from teh time I was a teenager until I voted the first time.

There is a person I know who will be voting the first time since Nixon! They got so turned off at Water gate that they never voted again until Bush came along.

I keep seeing and hearing people saying they are going to vote for the first time in years or tehy are changing their vote for Bush because Kerry is a traitor.

We could possibly see a record turn out this year after 2000 election debacle and the whole war thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: