SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are polls showing Bush slipping among vets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Why are polls showing Bush slipping among vets? Reply with quote

I don't get it. The president's poll numbers are dropping with some vets.
Explanations welcomed. I can't believe the attacks against the president's Guard duty have any affect whatsoever. But then the glass is half-full, Kerry's numbers keep tanking.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide some links to support this conclusion?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there's no poll on earth among veterans that would prove to me that Bush is slipping among veterans.

Which one are you looking at? The source is usually the answer, in and of itself.

For instance, CNN poll? Automatic peg on the bullsnitometer. Wink
BB Stacker
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I'd have to see a link to that too. I think such a thing is possible depending on who is asking the question(s) and the comparison to past polls. These things can be slanted by a clever pollster.
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB Stacker wrote:
Yeh, I'd have to see a link to that too. I think such a thing is possible depending on who is asking the question(s) and the comparison to past polls. These things can be slanted by a clever pollster.

yeap I could probably run a poll with Vets and ask:

Are you for or against the way President Bush has handled the accusation from the kerry campaign on his TANG record.

Not the greatest question to use as an example but you get what I mean, it all comes down to how it’s asked and how it’s reported, and all so who you ask.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB Stacker wrote:
These things can be slanted by a clever pollster.

... and even lots of non-clever pollsters. All you need is a bias.
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone:

I wish I could provide a link, but it was on John Gibson's show this afternoon when I heard it. I had the tv on and just caught the piece out of the corner of my eye. John said the numbers (and I cannot recall what poll it was) dropped from 60% to 50%. I'm sure I heard that part correctly and it blew my mind.

Medics, we're there when you need us. Cool
ontheright
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the same poll results on the radio this afternoon and FOX News reported it this evening also. Didn't hear the source for the report. Sorry. The only thing I've found online in regards to Bush slipping in the polls among veterans is old stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Jerry wrote:
Everyone:

I wish I could provide a link, but it was on John Gibson's show this afternoon when I heard it. I had the tv on and just caught the piece out of the corner of my eye. John said the numbers (and I cannot recall what poll it was) dropped from 60% to 50%. I'm sure I heard that part correctly and it blew my mind.

I heard that on John Gibson's show too. I think these polls are wrong or slanted to be PC and SC so that FOX looks "fair and balanced"".
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm going to try to find out what poll they were referring to. There's no way on God's green earth; those numbers reported are even close to being accurate.

Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Fox News Poll Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/092304_poll.pdf

I looked into the details of the latest Fox News poll, which shows Bush leading 45-43 in a two-way race, but leading among Veterans 50-40.

Bush with only a two-point margin might look scary, but methinks there is something amiss with the sample. In the table under question 7, we find:

Democrats: Bush 8 Kerry 83
Republicans: Bush 92 Kerry 3
Independents: Bush 40 Kerry 37

If Bush gets 9% more Republicans than Kerry gets Democrats, Bush gets 5% more Democrats than Kerry gets Republicans, and Bush leads by 3% among Independents, how does Bush only lead by 2% among the total sample? Probably because there are more Democrats than Republicans in the sample! But in the general electorate, registration is about even between the parties.

If you took a hypothetical sample of 1/3 Republicans, 1/3 Democrats, and 1/3 Independents and assumed the above splits between the candidates among each group, Bush would lead 47 - 41 overall. An average of most of the national polls (http://www.realclearpolitics.com) shows Bush with a 5.6% lead right now.

In other words, Fox took a sample skewed toward Democrats, and what should have been a 6-point lead for Bush became a 2-point lead. Probably there were more Democrat veterans than Republican veterans in this group (although the numbers can't be calculated with the information available), which would have affected the veterans' choice in this poll.

When trying to interpret poll numbers, it's important to look at the poll "internals" to see if there's a bias in the sample, and not just look at the "bottom line", which can be misleading. The devil is in the details!!!

I also read an interesting poll coming out of Florida recently, which showed Kerry leading by 1% whereas two other polls showed Bush leading by 3% and 8% respectively. It turns out that the poll that gave Kerry the 1% lead was taken during Hurricane Ivan, which wiped out telephone service in the heavily-Republican panhandle, and the rest of the state was nearly tied. Oops!!!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/commentary.html#9_23_04_1206

Polls can be deceptive...but I still think the SBVT ad no. 6 should be run in FL, if enough $$$ is available!
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it could have anything to do with the showing of Fahrenhite 9/11 to our troops? Which is happening. Makes me sick, especially showing it to the troops in Iraq.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, over-weighting with Democrats is going against a national trend of increasing identification and registration of voters as Republicans. It is also going against the method by which Dick Morris says reveals the most effective results.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though we are now older veterans, there are still many of our parent's generation still around. And they still believe FDR, HST, and JFK are gods.
Whacker77
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get worried yet. There are always statistical blips in polling. More than likely that's what occurred here. There was also bound to be some slippage in veteran support as the swift boat controversy dissapated. The margin of error for the veteran poll was eight percent. No need to worry yet.

I also want to make a point about the Fox, Zogby, and NBC polls. They are weighted for party I.D. and they almost always guarantee a close out come. Polls that allow party I.D. to fluctuate probably give a more accurate reading of the stiuation. Or, we could always just split the difference. Bush ahead six!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: