SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired Colonel: Bush Volunteered for Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Retired Colonel: Bush Volunteered for Vietnam Reply with quote

Quote:
Reader Brenda Sparks sent us this news story from a television station in Knoxville, Tennessee:

http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2346701

A retired National Guard officer now living in East Tennessee is weighing into the debate over President Bush's service record. [T]he man who swore then-Lieutenant George Bush into the Air National Guard, is rising to the President's defense from his Blount County home.
Retired Colonel Ed Morrisey served in the Air National Guard and is familiar with the President's record since the beginning of his service.

"George W. went to pilot training, seated well, being selected to be a fighter pilot, which is at the top of the line in the Air Force selection process. Came back to train in the F-102 at Ellington. He stood alert like anyone else," says Colonel Morrisey.

According to Morrisey, then-Lieutenant Bush more than fulfilled his guard requirements. Morrisey says in the six years the President served he never failed to meet participation point requirements.

"Bush averaged 176 per year. In no year did he have less that 50," says Morrisey. "He was rated by his commander, Col. Maurice Udell in the top 5 of his pilots."

One of the criticisms leveled at the President is that he sought guard service to keep him from serving in Vietnam. Morrisey says, "not so."

"The Air Force, in their ultimate wisdom, assembled a group of 102's and took them to Southeast Asia. Bush volunteered to go. But he needed to have 500 [flight] hours, but he only had just over 300 hours so he wasn't eligible to go,” Morrisey recalls.

Despite that, Lieutenant Bush stayed busy. "He flew in active air defense missions, training missions. Day, night, regardless of inclement weather," Morrisey says.

Colonel Morrisey assured us that to the best of his knowledge Lieutenant Bush was treated like any other officer in the Texas Air National Guard.

The facts continue to pile up, and they paint an attractive figure of a dedicated, patriotic pilot. Does this mean that the mainstream media will stop reporting as a fact that President Bush became a Guard pilot through favoritism, joined the Guard to dodge Vietnam, and failed to fulfill his Guard requirements? No. They will continue to report those things, never citing any evidence, because they care nothing about the truth, and everything about electing John Kerry. Rest assured, they know better. Because they read Power Line. But they won't correct their false stories until they absolutely have to.

[url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Air Force, in their ultimate wisdom, assembled a group of 102's and took them to Southeast Asia. Bush volunteered to go. But he needed to have 500 [flight] hours, but he only had just over 300 hours so he wasn't eligible to go,” Morrisey recalls.

Also, Fox News interviewed Gary Killian, son of Col. Jerry Killian.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132047,00.html

Excerpt...

Finally, Killian said his father told him a story in 1980 or 1981, when the two sat in an officers' club in San Antonio, Texas, about Lt. Bush having twice volunteered for duty in the Air National Guard "Palace Alert" program, under which fighter pilots in the Guard could serve a year on active duty in Vietnam.

On both occasions, the younger Killian said, Lt. Bush was turned down because he did not have more than 500 hours of flight time. Killian cited Maurice Udell, later a commander of the 147th Fighter Group, in which Lt. Bush served, and Col. Buck Staudt, later a brigadier general, as the individuals who turned Lt. Bush down.

"We have pilots with thousands of hours in the F-102," Bush was told, according to Killian. "Why would I send you?"
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, from what I have been reading, let me see if I understand...

Kerry received four deferments to avoid military service, applied for a fifth deferment to go to Paris to study, was turned down and was about to be drafted into the army, joined the naval reserve to avoid being drafted, was called to active duty aboard the USS Gridley which was not involved in combat, wanted a command of his own so volunteered for duty aboard a swiftboat (which at the time he volunteered were performing "relatively safe" coastal patrol, but which changed to dangerous inland river duty after Kerry had already been assigned to swiftboat duty), complained often that he had "not volunteered for this", managed to "acquire" 3 purple hearts (incredibly requiring no hospitalization), a bronze star, and a silver star (based upon questionable reports that he himself wrote) in an unprecedentedly short period of about 21 days, requested a trip stateside based on his 3 purple hearts, and then proceeded to "spit" on his brothers still in harms way when he got back, gave support to the enemy in multiple ways, regularly claimed war hero status for himself, and used his military service as the basis for an underwhelming political career!

Bush volunteered for Texas Air National Guard duty to pilot notoriously dangerous F102 fighter jets (which because of the history of this "killer jet", the TANG was having trouble attracting qualified pilots), underwent lengthy training, was considered an above average pilot, worked hard to excel, far exceeded required flight time while patrolling the Gulf of Mexico during a critical time in the Cold War, applied to go fly in VietNam but was turned down because there were more senior pilots ahead of him, and then as the F102 began to be phased out and the war wound down, Bush became less dedicated to flying, became involved supporting a political candidate, then requested to go back to school, satisfied all time commitments and flight requirements, was honorably discharged, and then never used his military service as the basis for his political career!

OK, so if I have any of this wrong, please let me know and I will make corrections...but I have to say...not once have I ever heard anything sounding even close to this history of these two candidates reported by the MSM!!! I don't get it!

Last edited by DaveL on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Pithy summary that I will make immediate use of with my email lists.

Not pithy enough for BOR though.

Sam
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...made up any missed time...

From what I've read and understand from his commander said, he "pre-loaded" his points, so he didn't actually have any missing time to "make up", he was simply not drilling because he 1) had his commander's permission, and 2) the time and points for the period he planned to be gone were already fulfilled.

It's not like he "back-filled" to make up points at some later date for drills he missed earlier, which is a whole nother kettle of fish.

In fact, the documentation does not SUPPORT the theory that he drilled an excessive number of hours in his last two years, since he only made a few points OVER the number required to fulfill his commitment.

And he got an early out in the last year, after completing a year's worth of points in something under 6 months.

I'm also not sure of the number of pilot slots. In some accounts, I've seen from 2 to 10 openings a year, and they (the TANG) were very picky about the qualifications, since they were aviator slots and not just any yahoo with a college degree could get in. There were some pretty stiff competitive exams and physicals that had to be passed.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks cipher... I had read just recently of a specific 160 open positions, but that may not be credible... edits made
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 160-some-odd number I believe was statewide guard slots open that needed specific qualifications. There was a waiting list for the ENLISTED slots, however, the officer slots had widely varying criteria. And the pilot slots were the hardest ones (naturally) to qualify for and actually end up filling. Not only did you have to land the assignment, you had to pass flight school and advanced fighter training, with was by no means an easy task.

It may have been Byron York at NRO (or someone else) who had an interview with the CG of TANG that stated the actual number of slots, but I can't put my fingers on it right now.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this excerpted from: Newsweek, War Stories, By Evan Thomas, Feb. 23, 2004 issue, page 3 of 4, at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4271922/

Quote:
The standard rap against Bush is that he was ducking combat by joining the Guard. Actually, the Texas Air Guard had a program called Palace Alert that allowed pilots to volunteer for flight time in Vietnam. Three of Bush's fellow pilots—Udell, Woodfin and Fred Bradley—recalled to NEWSWEEK that Bush inquired with the base commander about signing up for Palace Alert. He was told no; he had too few flying hours at the time and his plane, the F-102, was by then deemed obsolete for air combat.

That's a total of five contemporary witnesses named in this tread who served with Bush and who say he volunteered for Palace Alert and possible Vietnam duty... but the F-102A is a single seater so none of them actually served in the same plane as Bush. I guess thats why the paleomedia ignores this.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this line hurriedly and may have missed something. Gen. Staudt stated publicly a week or so ago that there was NO WAITING LINE for F-102 TANG pilots. They signed up anyone who qualified. Staudt said nothing about the difficulties but I've heard others say qualifying was very difficult.

Barnes can be expected to talk about this again in a few days but one has only to look at his Texas history to easily determine if he's telling the truth. He was involved in the Sharpstown Bank scandal, the Texas Lottery scandal and a real estate scandal with the late Texas Governor Connally. And, it was bad enough that he's persona non grata in Texas politics.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
I read this line hurriedly and may have missed something. Gen. Staudt stated publicly a week or so ago that there was NO WAITING LINE for F-102 TANG pilots. They signed up anyone who qualified. Staudt said nothing about the difficulties but I've heard others say qualifying was very difficult.

Barnes can be expected to talk about this again in a few days but one has only to look at his Texas history to easily determine if he's telling the truth. He was involved in the Sharpstown Bank scandal, the Texas Lottery scandal and a real estate scandal with the late Texas Governor Connally. And, it was bad enough that he's persona non grata in Texas politics.

No kidding! Imagine being an outcast in Texas politics. Sort of like being kicked out of an off limits bar.

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: