SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Broder states the Swift Vets are liars
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truthserum
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: David Broder states the Swift Vets are liars Reply with quote

The Media, Losing Their Way

By David S. Broder
Sunday, September 26, 2004; Page B07

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/opinion/columns/broderdavid/

We need to start our email bombardment on this one.
I sent one this morning.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Broder wrote:
In a year when war in Iraq, the threat of terrorism and looming problems with the federal budget and the nation's health care system cry out for serious debate, the news organizations on which people should be able to depend have been diverted into chasing sham events: a scurrilous and largely inaccurate attack on the Vietnam service of John Kerry and a forged document charging President Bush with disobeying an order for an Air National Guard physical.

<snip>

Time was when any outfit such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that came around peddling an ad with implausible charges would have run into a hard-nosed reporter whose first questions -- before he or she ran with the story -- would have been, "Who the hell are you guys? What's your angle? What's your proof?" (emphasis mine)

On that last point, Mr. Broder, I couldn't agree with you more.

By the way, a link to substantive documentation of your characterization of the SBVT initiative as a "largely inaccurate attack" would be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mr. Broders,,have Kerry sign the form 180 and be done with all of thing...Get the article started....Kerry sign the form and get rid of these liars with no proof.....show them, put them in their place...come on my hero Kerry..sign it now. I am sick of the Swift Boat guys...
God and Country
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Broder is a (Deleted by Admin) . If this is the wild, wild west I would invited him to a gun fight at OK communist den. Lucky for him, we were born at the WRONG time.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: David Broder states the Swift Vets are liars Reply with quote

David Broder wrote:
...scurrilous and largely inaccurate attack on the Vietnam service of John Kerry and a forged document...

Mr. Pulitzer Prize now is the perfect manifestation and example of why the OIM (Old Irrelevant Media) has lost its way. He's got a lot of nerve, even by innuendo, fashioning Swiftee efforts into the same sentence with election tampering by forgery. I'm sure it didn't occur to him, the deep thinker that he is, to cast MoveOn.org stuff into that sentence.
Broder also wrote:
...Time was when any outfit such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that came around peddling an ad with implausible charges would have run into a hard-nosed reporter whose first questions -- before he or she ran with the story -- would have been, "Who the hell are you guys? What's your angle? What's your proof?"...

Right you are Mr. Pulitzer Prize. You FAILED to ask and investigate. You chose to stay stupid. I couldn't find his email address and know the Post will discard any criticism, so I'm venting here.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook me up with an email for Border. Please.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Time was when any outfit such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that came around peddling an ad with implausible charges would have run into a hard-nosed reporter whose first questions -- before he or she ran with the story -- would have been, "Who the hell are you guys? What's your angle? What's your proof?"

Dear Mr. Broder,

Just where have you been? On the moon? The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth have been throughly lambasted by the MSM (of which you are a part). Even though there are over 60 men who have signed sworn affidavits whose recollections were used in this book I have yet to see one member of the MSM (you sir included) who have pointed out this fact.

First of all, there are no "hard-nosed reporters" to be found who do not have a political bias. The credibility of the MSM is in the toilet and the majority of the public no longer believes the press. We have problems with your motives as well as your honesty.

But, CBS gleefully ran with the forged documents about President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard and ONLY recanted (sort of) under screaming pressure from online bloggers who called them on their lies.

You get an "F" for your story. Quit banging on the Swift Vets until you can prove that what they are saying is not true. Simply writing such tripe from your bully pulpit does not make it so. Show me! Prove it. Prove to the public that the Swift Vets are lying. And don't tell me that "official afteraction reports" created by John F. Kerry are proof of anything. You know better.

In my opinion your generation of journalists is in the toilet. I suggest that some kindly flush that sucker.

Marti Settle
Denton, Texas
Quote:

Bean Counter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_nyc wrote:
Hook me up with an email for Border. Please.

davidbroder@washingtonpost.com

Here is what I just sent him...

None of the exaggerated combat reports have been proven to be written by anyone other than J. F. Kerry. That is why the Swifties are doing the tougher job of trying to prove that only Kerry could have or did write those reports.

About ten days ago, a document was found in a publically available archive with an official report of the actions of the Silver Star day. That report supports the Swifties version and was probably written by LT Rood. Why doesn't the press ask him? Another report on that day is referred to in the message traffic, from 44 minutes before. Folks are still trying to get that report- it should be the Kerry inflated one.

I guess the "hard nosed reporters" left only get excited when the evidence fits their personal political views. Or does the Kerry canpaign think we'll believe the dead guys wrote it?
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: David Broder states the Swift Vets are liars Reply with quote

Bean Counter wrote:
...I guess the "hard nosed reporters" left only get excited when the evidence fits their personal political views. Or does the Kerry canpaign think we'll believe the dead guys wrote it?...

My thoughts precisely. Evidence now in hand proves Kerry wrote the AAR but to satisfy the OIM (Old Irrelevant Media) we also must prove Droz DID NOTWRITE it.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thasnks Bean Counter.

Here is my letter.

Mr. Broder,

The swift boat veterans for truth exposed Senator Kerry's ludicrous claims to have been on secret CIA missions in Cambodia, Christmas, 1968. Senator Kerry had gone so far as to say he has a secret agent hat given to him by the CIA agent who accompanied him on the now proven fantasy missions.

This one revelation of a preposterous lie by the Senator makes him the one worthy of the moniker "scurrilous".

It calls into question not only his veracity but the state of his mental health.

The men of SBVT have all signed a sworn avadavat to support their story. Senator Kerry refuses to even sign a SF-180. To this voter that speaks volumes about who is telling the truth in this matter.

You owe a retraction of your blanket statement that the men of SBVT are that the ones who are "implausible".

Best wishes,

Jim
NYC
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine:

Mr. Broder :

To quote form your article of today:

"Time was when any outfit such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that came around peddling an ad with implausible charges would have run into a hard-nosed reporter whose first questions -- before he or she ran with the story -- would have been, "Who the hell are you guys? What's your angle? What's your proof?"

I thought you were supposed to be a hardnosed reporter. If you feel this way then I challenge you to personally prove that the charges against John Kerry brought forth by the SwiftVets are false and implausable. But you will not be able to do such because the charges are true, verified, and substantiated many times over.

If you or anyone else could have proven these charges to be false you would have done so long before now.

Sincerely,
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My email was returned ...no such address.....anyone else have this problem...anyone with a current address?
truthserum
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I received back on my email.
Use the davidbroder@washpost.com

Date: 09/26/04 11:04:39
To: Patricia Myers
Subject: Thank you for your e-mail

Thank you for your e-mail to David Broder. With the popularity of these
columns, we receive upward of 1,000 e-mails a week. We regret that we
cannot respond to all of them. If we did, there would be no column to
e-mail about. But be assured that David Broder or one of his editors will
read every e-mail. If you are responding to one of Mr. Broder's columns,
we invite you to let us know in which newspaper you read the column (unless
you have already done so in your e-mail) by replying to
davidbroder@washpost.com. Then we will share your e-mail with your local
newspaper editor, who would also appreciate hearing your feedback.

Sincerely,

The Washington Post Writers Group
theflickster
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my response:

The Media, lost its way a long time ago, with slanted reporting that up until the popularity of the internet, the internet blogger and talk radio were able to be published without recourse. It has been proven time and time again. Media moguls such as The Washington Post, The New York Times and the networks of CBS, ABC, and NBC could without any consequence would and could sway what information would be presented to the American Public. These same journalists set the tone of each and every newscast across the nation. The accountability that has come from John Q. Public has been what has caused the media to panic and react in fear as the “news” is no longer susceptible to the obvious injustice from the same media.

Repeatedly, John O’Neill during interviews has stated “Not once has the information in this book been proven false!” He is daring the journalists to actually investigate this information. Yet, articles such as yours continue to state they are lies. Mr. Broder, show me YOUR proof. Thus far, I have yet to see any of the Media Elite, provide one document showing any of the statements made by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are inaccurate. Until you can provide the proof, can you based on your same statement of “journalistic integrity” state that they are lies?

Until you can prove that the statements are false, you are doing your readership an injustice. I would urge caution, more than one established journalist, part of the known media elite, is falling not only in ratings but in credibility. How many journalists need to fall, before these same journalists recognize that the American public has never wanted your opinion, but seek the entire picture, the full story. Until those same journalists investigate, interview and indeed look at all sides, it is nothing but a bias that has been brewing for years. One of the elite stepped outside of the circle and wrote about this bias. Fortunately for him, his credibility continues to soar as article after article show his statements to be true. I am sure he would thank you today for your article as proof positive of continued bias.
debewley
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My e-mail to Mr. Broder is below.

Mr. Broder,
I would suggest that a large part of the problem the “news media” is having in this election cycle is evidenced within your column on the subject. You claim the ideas presented by the Swift Boat Veteran’s are “implausible” and further state that what they are doing is a “scurrilous and largely inaccurate attack on the Vietnam service of John Kerry”. Yet you offer no proof of your allegations. Indeed, of all those in the “news media” who’ve made such claims I’ve yet to hear any information that would refute the charges that have been made.

I would ask you sir how much time you’ve spent actually researching the charges made by the Swift Boat Veterans? Have you even read the book Unfit For Command? Have you attempted to interview any of the Swift Boat Veterans? Can you provide any explanation for the multiple different versions of Kerry’s war stories as told by Kerry himself? How about the three different versions of events that Rassman has told about the events of 3/13/1969? Have you taken time to study the After Action Reports of those various incidents to try to determine for yourself the plausibility of Kerry’s claims? Do you have sufficient military and/or combat experience to make an informed decision on these matters?

If you’re truly interested in knowing what problems the “news media” are having I would suggest you begin by taking a long and critical look in the mirror. You assume I should accept your baseless allegations at face value. I respectfully decline to do so. I served for 18 months in Vietnam. I’ve spent weeks carefully researching the claims that Kerry has made. The Swift Boat Veterans For Truth ARE telling the truth. I would bet everything I own on that. I dare you to prove me wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: