SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Socking MRE's and Ammo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Anyone Socking MRE's and Ammo Reply with quote

Odds on that we have some kind of event stateside before the elections. Problem with the the stupid terrorist is that they don't know how to read Americans, even the liberals will be upset (for a while anyways) if they pull something stateside.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Alpha924
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got yur back Marine;
This old river rat has his block and maybe a couple more covered. Now where did I put that belt loader? Wink
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

count us in.
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Ammo Supply Reply with quote

Resupply problems can be cut down by grouping weapons in rooms by ammo type. The 8mm room, .303, 7.62 x 57R , 7.62 x 39, 7.62 NATO, 5.56, etc, etc, etc.

A rifle with the wrong ammo is an unloaded rifle.

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Whew! Reply with quote

Whew! It's good to see I'm not the only one with a buncha weapons and ammo. Go to gun shows------buy more ammo. I was starting to think there was something wrong with that.

Semper Fidelis.

Amos.
Snipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought fixed ammo in years except for .22 rimfires. But
I got some nice 168 grain .308 boattails, and some 240 grain .44
jacketed softpoints, and I got my plumbing fixed a couple of years
ago and have a couple hundred pounds of lead pipe in the garage
along with a bunch of linotype metal and I can cast some nice Keith
.238 grain .45s and 168 grain .357s. Plenty of powder and primers.
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, well I've got plenty of ammo. Even have a drum feed for my MAC90 which holds 70 rounds. Gotta hook up with MRE's next. Anyone have a good contact in S. Cal?

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: It's A Lot More Then Guns and Ammo and MRE's Reply with quote

It's A Lot More Then Guns and Ammo and MRE's - The issue is not IF Al Qaida is going to hit us again. Our intelligence and our defenses can be 99.999999 percent effective. But 99.999999 is not 100% effective. The issue is WHEN and WHERE. The bigger issue is rapid recovery!!

Check out FEMA's "Citizen Corps" web site -- http://www.citizencorps.gov/. Most of the stuff is of the "What to do until the Professional First Responders (Police, Fire, EMS) Arrive" feel good type stuff. But there is sone "Good to Know" stuff.

While you are on the Citizen Corps Web Site - check out their pubs page - some good stuff for civilians who have never been in the military and for kids hwo have never been to Philmont. But it's a decent review - http://www.citizencorps.gov/ready/cc_pubs.shtm

You may also want to check out their CERT Program -- http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/CERT/. It's a worthwhile training program - especially for us old guys who are 50 years away from the Scouts, almost 40 years away from active duty, and a good ten years away from the drilling reserve. -- The real backbone of CERT is a cadre of 60-something year old retirees who are VietNam veterans and retired Reservists and Guardsmen (and yes, we are gun owners)

Finally, the Red Cross "Disaster Services" Training - some overlap with Citizen Corps. Again, he real backbone of Red Cross Disaster Services Volunteer Program (DSHR?) is a cadre of 60-something retirees who are VietNam veterans and retired Reservists and Guardsmen (and yes, we are gun owners).

One thing to remember - your wife and elderly parents have probably NOT received speacial ops training or survival training -- and there are lots of things you can get at a well equipped grocery store and at Wal-Mart that are "almost as good" as what you can get at a sporting goods, outdoors, or survival store.

Some Citizen Corps and Red Cross "hints"
1. Don't rely on a cell phone -- the repeaters and cells will go down- get a GMRS or FRS radio - and a photovoltaic powered battery charger.
2. Lots of bottled water.
3. Prepackaged wipes for personal cleanliness.
4. Cat litter is also good for human waste.
5. Forget anything in your refrigerator - you do need civilianized "MRE's"
6. Lots of cash and quarters - figure the credit card, ATM and EFT nets will be dead for some time.
7. Drive on the top half or three-quarters of your gas tank.
8. LOTS OF BATTERIES - AND SOME WAY TO RECHARGE THE RECHARGEABLES WITHOUT "THE MAINS" - I HAVE A BUNCH OF PHOTOVOLTAIC CELLS.

It's nice to think about weapons skills - but we are not going to come back fast and hit AlQaida where it hurts by shooting our neighbors. We are going to hit AlQaida where it hurts by working with our neighbors and coming back hard and fast and getting back on our feet and clearing the debris field and minimizing our own casualties.

Idea One "fringe" of Citizens Corps CERT - if you are in the right one in the right community - you can informally get permission to fire on your local PD range. As a confirmed nuclear geekie nerd - I kinda like firing on the PD range and reviewing my fire extinguisher skills at the FD Academy. Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tons of good info, around here! Thanks!

Was just watching one of the morning Fox shows a while ago and some guy that's expert in such things was telling people what to do in the event of "dirty bomb," - and this would take some knowledge, because it sure goes against your every instinct.

1 - Don't run. Without the Hazmat team around to tell you where to go, you could be running into the worst of the contamination and not know it.

2 - Typically, the dispersal from the dirty bomb will be much lower near the explosion than it will be farther away - so you have to train yourself to sit tight if an explosion goes off near you - at exactly the time when every nerve in your body will be screaming at you to get the hell out of there!

3 - Wait for Hazmat to arrive and get an assessment and bring decon gear.

I'm going to check into those classes and see if they're offered around here - or something equivalent. There should be someone in every neighborhood who's up on civil defense, first aid, etc. I might as well be one of them. Thanks again.
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Nieghborhood Watch Reply with quote

Guys;

All gun jokes aside, my neighborhood street has a zig-zag pattern of active duty/retired military families. Most of them have the basic load of camping/survival type gear, not to mention the ability to organization if required. No cops on the street but we have a good sprinkling of EMT/Hospital types.

Community involvement and co-operation is a great help in times of disaster.

Do you know your neighbors?

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
Snipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck wrote:
hehe, well I've got plenty of ammo. Even have a drum feed for my MAC90 which holds 70 rounds. Gotta hook up with MRE's next. Anyone have a good contact in S. Cal?

The Commissary Store at Rock Island Arsenal has them for around
50 bucks a case.

Very Happy
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns? I ain't got no guns! Perish th' thought. Come a little closer, Abdul, and have a look!

Redhawk Shocked
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: What's so great about MRE's Reply with quote

Actually, MRE's are nutritionally designed for physically active (like "in combat") young men. One of the local Citizen Corps web sites has a link (and I couldn't find it ) to a manufacturer/distributor of MRE type products for "mature" (i.e., over weight and sedentary) adults. Might be better for most of us old to enough to have been around during VietNam.

We have elected to go with a larder of canned foods (tuna, stew, veggies) that are semi-palatable without cooking ---- and a Very Happy MANUAL CAN OPENER Very Happy (Don't laugh -lots of folks only have electric can openers)
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my P38 from Nam on my key ring. Can beat most electric can openers. Wink

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: My P38 got ripped off by a TSA grunt at the airport Reply with quote

Lthrneck - My P38 got ripped off by a TSA grunt at the airport. Sad Haven't looked for a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: