SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great book!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Great book! Reply with quote

Misunderestimated - This book is an absolute "must-read." Just finished it.

The inside stories on preparing for war in Afghanistan and Iraq, the visits to Iraq and to the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Very funny, sometimes - this President is self-deprecating in his humor and likes razzing the WH press corps.

Very serious, other times - the absolutely ridiculous questions asked of the President, Pentagon officials and the White House spokesman during press conferences.

What was going on behind the scenes while the reporters started whining about "miserable failure," "quagmire," "misadventures."

Easy to read - and boy will it tell you some things about the press that you might not have known.

For instance, the Pentagon has been accused so often of manipulating the early Jessica Lynch story to serve its PR machine that many people believe that that is indeed, the case. Read this book for what really happened. And why the rumor hasn't ever been cleared up, even though the Pentagon and CENTCOM attempted repeatedly to tell the truth of the story.

Read about CNN's decade of complicity with the Hussein regime - and their self-serving explanation and justification for promoting the regime's propaganda after the regime fell.

About how the embeds were derided and marginalized by the "East Coast Elite" media who presumed to have a monopoly on the truth.

How they called the embeds "liars" and said that what they were reporting was "bullsnit," from the comfort of their air-conditioned conference rooms while the embeds were in real danger and in two cases, killed in the performance of their duties.

This was one of the best books I've read about politics and the media - looking for an easy summer read with some amazing insights? This is it. Smile

(Disclaimer - I am in no way affiliated with the writer, the publisher or anyone else connected to this book... I'm just recommending it as an antidote to the constant stream of negativity. It's good for the soul to see these ***hat reporters knocked down a few pegs.)
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Great book! Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

The inside stories on preparing for war in Afghanistan and Iraq, the visits to Iraq and to the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Very funny, sometimes - this President is self-deprecating in his humor and likes razzing the WH press corps.

George W. Bush puts on some of the best political rope-a-dope I've ever seen.

George Bush is a great example of how a southern or Texas accent and the associated reputation can be so effective against the chattering class and the ivory tower elites.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Great book! Reply with quote

PhuCat to Phu Quoc wrote:
Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

George W. Bush puts on some of the best political rope-a-dope I've ever seen.

George Bush is a great example of how a southern or Texas accent and the associated reputation can be so effective against the chattering class and the ivory tower elites.

I was an Ivory Tower Elite myself - until I saw that the Tower was largely built of fecal matter.

FDL
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Great book! Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
I was an Ivory Tower Elite myself - until I saw that the Tower was largely built of fecal matter.

FDL

I reckon that's the real reason PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper. Wink Laughing

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do yourself a big favor, go to your local library and check out Carl Sandberg's Abraham Lincoln- The War Years. It will show you that the Dems are calling plays from a book over 140 years old. If you really want to do yourself a favor, read the first two volumes, The Prairie Years, you might learn a lesson or two on charactor.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: