SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More on Soros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: More on Soros Reply with quote

This guys scares the crap out of me.

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=28895

Billionaire George Soros intensifies his anti-Bush campaign
WASHINGTON, Sept 28 (AFP) - Billionaire financier George Soros is putting his wealth and personal reputation on the line in his quest to convince voters to cast ballots against George W. Bush in the November 2 presidential election.

Soros, 74, announced Tuesday that he was traveling to 12 US cities -- including stops in the swing states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa and Florida -- starting October 5 for meetings with the public and local news media.

He has also penned a pamhlet tited "Why we must not re-elect President Bush" and is mailing copies to two million voters.

Five weeks ahead of the November 2 US presidential vote, Soros, a Hungarian born US citizen, also announced he was launching an website (www.GeorgeSoros.com) where he promises to answer questions by undecided voters.

He said he was running two-page ads in several US newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal, on Wednesday.

"This is the most important election of my lifetime," Soros writes in the brochure. "I have never been heavily involved in partisan politics but these are not normal times. President Bush is endangering our safety, hurting our vital interests and undermining American values. That is why I am sending this message."

Soros adds: "I have been demonized by the Bush campaign but I hope you will give me a hearing."

Republican House of Representative Speaker Dennis Hastert suggested in a late August television interview that Soros may be making his billions off illegal-drug related activities. Soros wrote to Hastert demanding an apology.

"There is no way to avoid a smear campaign," said Soros, speaking at a press conference in Washington on Tuesday. "It`s in full swing. All I can do is get my message out and try to have people listen."

The event was barely over when the Republican National Committee issued a statement blasting Soros.

"The only explanation for the Daddy Warbucks of the Democratic Party . . . to step out from behind the curtain 35 days before the election is his obvious concern for his investment in (Democratic presidential candidate) John Kerry," the statement read, an allusion to the 12 million dollars that Soros has contributed to the Kerry campaign.

"I am not a politician," a subdued Soros told reporters. "I am totally out of my normal role standing here. Nobody would get far with my advice."

Soros blasted the US-led war on Iraq, conducted by the Bush administration as an extension of the "war on terror," which he says makes the United States less safe, not safer.

But Soros was unprepared when asked if he thought the more than 1,000 US soldiers who died fighting in Iraq gave their lives in vain.

"It`s a tremendous responsability for president Bush," said Soros. There was a pause as he chose his words carefully. "It`s a tremendous tragedy," he added.

Soros also said that he was "eager to reach Republicans who might vote for Bush out of party loyalty," and intends to "reach out to the business community, especially among the traditional conservatives."

According to Soros there are many Republicans "who are quite distressed about the policies of this administration."

Retired army general Wesley Clark, earlier in the year a candidate for the Democratic Party presidential nomination, introduced Soros at the event.

Clark spoke on behalf of a group called "Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change," which will join Soros for parts of the tour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: