SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Upriver......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Going Upriver...... Reply with quote

If you have a VERY strong stomach, you might want to read the review of GOING UPRIVER: THE LONG WAR OF JOHN KERRY that is published on page 53 of the 1 October issue of Entertainment. (It just arrived in the mail today.) It opens "Arm yourselves, future voters, with insight into a candidate...." and then it gets even more ridiculous. The reviewer "OG" actually gave it an "A". (A few pages later in the same issue, the DVD of Fahrenheit 9/11 only gets an A-.)

Mad
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that this is going to be hitting the states around
Oct. 1st. I wonder if the documentary Stolen Honor has any
chance of getting air time on fox, or in theatres?

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go if it comes around here, it will be good for alot of snickers, laughs and occasional booing - I'm not afraid of getting kicked out.
I know most of you don't want to put any money into Kerry's already deep pockets, that's one of main reasons why I refused to go to Moore's
piece de crape. But there's nothing wrong with being a rather polite pest,
I can see myself saying "you've got to be kidding?" or "this is such crap!" "This guy is unbelievable!" It'll be fun.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out what the Boston Globe said about the flick, it has some very big potential problems for Kerry, remember this propumentary was made by George Butler, Kerry's busom buddy since 1964, who also co-wrote the
Last Soldier, plus another book about Kerry, "John Kerry, A Portrait"
This guy has also taken over 6,000 photos of John. I'd say he really, really, likes John Kerry.

Boston Globe
note: URL converted to hypertext
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I just ate, time to upchuck. The guy he was "gently" asking to speak was the guy that recently said Kerry told him to make stuff up.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Article posted:

Quote:
Yet the film, which is set to open in the United States on Oct. 1, arrives at a time when many voters are skeptical of the hagiography that envelops Kerry's wartime experiences in ''Going Upriver," an expression for going into battle. The movie was conceived long before a group of veterans began attacking Kerry's combat record and antiwar activism last month, but several moments in it -- particularly Kerry's remark about soldiers' ''crimes," and scenes of him marching for peace and throwing away his combat ribbons at a Washington protest -- are bound to whip up these critics anew during the crucial final weeks of the 2004 campaign.

Whip up his critics anew? I wasn't aware that we had died down. Laughing Laughing
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know most of you don't want to put any money into Kerry's already deep pockets, that's one of main reasons why I refused to go to Moore's
piece de crape.

So arrest me... I will NEVER give a penny to any person that is a sheep and cannot realize what is happening in front of his/her face, biased SOB.... Yeah... I D/Led F911... it almost made me puke as to how narrow minded ANYONE that followed that CRAP was......

I am living in the 'Sheep Country' (no offense to the NZlanders Very Happy ...)

Oh... sorry, the above statement was about F911....
Question... has anyone been able to D/L the 'correct' version of 911? (That's the corrected version of F911)...?

If not, PM me... Smile
Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Texas Army NG 13E FDC
BTRY B 3-133 Arty
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could remember the site --- but an interview with of someone who "ran" with that crowd in Boston in the 70's/80's--- before his first Senate election made several insightful remarks.

That Julia Thorne knew John was not a faithful husband. She gave gifts to friends that acknowledged and ridiculed John's philandering.

The story also stated at cocktail parties when Kerry would start pontificating his wife would scoff at him. (No adoring glances).

The implications of the article were that Julia's bouts with depression were somehow attributed to an unhappy marriage to John. The remark was Julia is happy now, that she is happily remarried and has no comments about John.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review conjures up a vision of Beatle-like groupies, hopping up and down, clapping their hands and cooing, "Look how heroic he is!" This punk just keeps on getting cheesier and cheesier. sheesh.
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Upriver...... Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
If you have a VERY strong stomach, you might want to read the review of GOING UPRIVER: THE LONG WAR OF JOHN KERRY that is published on page 53 of the 1 October issue of Entertainment. (It just arrived in the mail today.) It opens "Arm yourselves, future voters, with insight into a candidate...." and then it gets even more ridiculous. The reviewer "OG" actually gave it an "A". (A few pages later in the same issue, the DVD of Fahrenheit 9/11 only gets an A-.)

Mad

I don’t think it will be effective. As noted on Drudge the other day Michael Moore’s Masterpiece was re-released and it is tanking. I think it is too late to redefine Kerry. The leftist media although very, very dangerous can only succeed in a news vacuum such as the monopoly like environment once ruled by the MSM. The SBVT have succeeded to get out the truth about John Kerry. Although masters of deceit, such as the Democratic Party can use propaganda effectively against truth there is not enough time before the election to so.

I am not so worried about “GOING UPRIVER: THE LONG WAR OF JOHN KERRY” because too many questions have been raised about the character of Kerry.

I hope Kerry is now Up The River Without A Paddle.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is all you need to know about "Going Upriver (without a paddle):"

Quote:
Production for ''Going Upriver," by George Butler, the documentary director and a longtime Kerry friend, was nearly complete last month when a group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth launched a television commercial that questioned the official naval record of Kerry's Vietnam heroism and whether he deserved his combat medals. The swift boat group has also aired a commercial lashing Kerry for telling the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April 1971 that some US soldiers had ''personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads," and committed other atrocities in Vietnam.

While the film includes about two minutes of clips from that Senate appearance, Kerry's testimony about atrocities is left out. Butler said, ''You can't get everything in a movie."

''I did cover Winter Soldier, which almost no one else has done, that formed the basis for his atrocity testimony," Butler noted.

What a shame that Kerry's dramatic sedition just wouldn't fit, huh?

Quote:
Occasionally Butler, as an artist, takes dramatic license to re-create scenes of warfare. The director meticulously researched these moments and views them as accurate. One is designed to show the February 1969 firefight when Kerry (who does not appear on camera in these scenes) ran his swift boat ashore and killed a Viet Cong, an action that earned him the Silver Star. Butler also added sound effects of gunfire -- one shot for every hole in a battered boat, for instance -- and other touches that may invite criticism from the swift boat group, among others, which has alleged that some of the battles did not unfold with the intensity that Kerry has described and naval records indicate.

Dramatic license = significant revisions designed to downplay Kerry's multitude of lies, exaggerations, embellishments, and fraud.

Quote:
The Vietnam footage, which Butler weaves with interviews with Kerry's crewmates, war historians, and others, includes some film that Kerry himself took as a Navy lieutenant, which has been criticized by some veterans as calculated self-glorification.

''What struck me from looking through [Kerry's Vietnam film] was how much combat footage there was, how many buildings were set on fire, how many buildings were shot at," Butler said. ''If there were no Super-8 footage from John, we could have done nothing -- Vietnam would have been a zero."

How do you take so much "combat footage" if you are in battle? Were they "reenactments" by Kerry? How many of the buildings did Kerry himself set on fire or fire at as part of his self confessed atrocities and war crimes? Was there footage from Cambodia?

Quote:
The bulk of the film is devoted to Kerry's growing anger at the war, and to his role in the protest movement after coming home: as an observer and occasional participant at the Winter Soldier hearings; as an emerging leader of the four-day antiwar demonstration in Washington in April 1971, which included his Senate testimony; and as the patrician-sounding spokesman for Vietnam Veterans Against the War, drawing the ire of President Nixon.

And honorable veterans everywhere.

Quote:
Last spring, when controversy first broke out over Kerry's wartime activities, it stemmed from some veterans arguing that he actually threw his medals away. In television interviews around the time of the protest, Kerry indicated as much. But he insisted last spring that he used the words ''medals" and ''ribbons" interchangeably over the years; Butler, who was at the Capitol protest in '71, has a picture in the film of Kerry getting ready to throw, but it does not show what is in his hand.

What a lame excuse! He is using his own flipflopping as an excuse!

Quote:
''If you looked at the film carefully, the damn vets threw every damn thing they could," Butler said. ''I think we just have to take John's word for that. . . . I've never heard him tell a lie."

That statement is just too easy. Maybe Butler never listened to him. Maybe Butler is an idiot. I don't know, but "never heard him tell a lie" stretches credulity.

Quote:
Butler recalled showing a three-minute clip of ''Going Upriver" at a North Carolina film festival in April, when he was part of a panel of filmmakers that included the director Michael Moore.

''Michael was there talking about an upcoming film of his called 'Fahrenheit 9/11,' which I thought was about Osama bin Laden," Butler said, referring to Moore's harsh portrayal of Bush and the Iraq war that set box-office records this summer. ''After I'd shown my clip, 15 minutes into the panel, Michael leans over and says to me, 'You know, George, if your film shows as much interesting stuff about John Kerry as your three-minute clip, you may have a good film."

What can you add to that? One director of a crockumentary inspiring another? An endorsement by Moore simply drives a stake through the heart of this movie as far as I am concerned. It has the same validity as Brinkley's fictional biography of Kerry.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bring It On" Kerry said, supposedly to Bush back when he became the
DNC "IT" boy back at the first of the year. The "bring it on's" continued
throughout the year. Kerry would give a stump speech, pound his puny
chest and declare "BRING IT ON."

So, the Swiftvets did just that. They "BROUGHT IT ON." Not with rumors or innuendo, but cold, hard facts and observations in a very well written concise book released after the DNC Convention where Kerry juxtaposed his Vietnam experience as his very foundation for becoming our next Commander in Chief. Memories of Kerry bounding across the stage with
vintage footage of Kerry's own 8mm films of his days in war torn Vietnam.
Kerry saluting his tiny "band of brothers."

After the release of the book and the first ads were put by the
Swiftvets for Truth, the "bring it on's" ceased. They were replaced by
"MAKE THEM STOP." Kerry and his minions tried in numerous ways to
get the ads to stop, even pleading with Bush to tell the Swiftvets to go away.

Kerry already had his version of his days in the Navy ready to go before the public. His book, Tour of Duty, which came out this year,and now his Documentary, Going Upriver. The book has so far sold only 38,000 copies.
The movie is based on the book. So the movie is based on a book based on Kerry's journals, notes, and the official Navy documents that he has chosen to release. Journals full of Kerry's whimsical musings, historical references,fabrications, and embellishments. The Swiftvet's cold hard facts pulled the pinnings out from underneath Kerry's, one can only read his book with astonishment as to how far the book attempts to paint Kerry as, well, practically a God amongst mere mortals.

The movie is the next weapon in his arsenal. Since the Swiftvets have made it impossible for Kerry to have any press conferences then he has
to let his book, and the movie speak to the masses. Amazingly the press has ignored Kerry's book, even they realize a piece of trollope when they
read one. The press seems to have ignored the Swiftvet's claims yet they
have used some of those very claims against Kerry. The press, on the whole, are pretty much a lazy bunch and will not admit they let others do their work for them, such as the Swiftvets have done.

So it will be interesting to see the effect of the movie, I believe it will
bring the Swiftvets right back into the equation, something Kerry prays
will not happen. And believe me, Kerry does not pray very often.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMalloy wrote:
I may go if it comes around here, it will be good for alot of snickers, laughs and occasional booing - I'm not afraid of getting kicked out.
piece de crape. But there's nothing wrong with being a rather polite pest,
I can see myself saying "you've got to be kidding?" or "this is such crap!" "This guy is unbelievable!" It'll be fun.

It would be really funny to "Rocky Horror" this flick... audience with props, scripted responses, and a periodic "Was he a journalist? I thought he said he *served* in the war?" and so on. Just turn the whole thing into a parody. It's fiction, so no harm in it Smile Of course it would require paying to get in, but maybe it would be worth it... turn it into a comedy (dark, I know)

Kat
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMalloy wrote:
So it will be interesting to see the effect of the movie, I believe it will
bring the Swiftvets right back into the equation, something Kerry prays
will not happen. And believe me, Kerry does not pray very often.

The response to Going Upriver is Steve Pitkin, Steve Pitkin, Steve Pitkin

.......................... ..........................

When viewers see the scene in the movie of John Kerry interrogating Steve
to solicit stories of atrocities and then hear Steve's story of the pressure to
lie before the cameras ... Burkett's forgeries will seem tame in comparison

Steve's story is at Yesterday's Lies: Steve Pitkin and the Winter Soldiers

Last edited by rbshirley on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kerry is in it? That can't be good for John Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: