SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do we stand in this disorienting war?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Where do we stand in this disorienting war? Reply with quote

Where do we stand in this disorienting war?

Full Article At: http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200406250853.asp

What a litany of distractions! Words —

"preemption," "unilateralism," "hegemony," — whiz by and lose all meaning. Names — "Halliburton," "Chalabi," "INC" — become little more than red meat. Vocabulary is turned upside down: "Contractors," who at great risk restore power and water to the poor, are now little more than "profiteers" and "opportunists"; killers are not even "terrorists" but mere "militants." "Neo-cons" are wild-eyed extremists; "realists" are no longer cynics — inclined to let thousands die abroad unless the chaos interrupts transit of oil or food — but rather "sober" and "circumspect," and more likely Kerry supporters.

A depressing array of transitory personalities parades before our screen, entering stage left to grab 15 minutes of notoriety for their scripted invective, only to exit on the right into oblivion. Who can remember all these one-tell-all-book, one-weekend-on-the-Sunday-news-programs personalities — a Hans Blix, Scott Ritter, Howard Dean, Paul O'Neil, Joe Wilson, Richard Clark, or Richard ben Veniste? In between their appearances on Sunday morning television or 60 Minutes, a few D.C. functionaries are carted out for periodic shouting — an unhinged Al Gore, a puffed-up Ted Kennedy, a faux-serious Bob Kerry, and occasionally a Senator Byrd or Hollings. And since the very day after 9/11 we've gotten the Vietnam-era retreads — a Peter Arnett, Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, Robert Scheer, John Dean, or Seymour Hersh — tottering out with the latest conspiracies about the old bogeymen and "higher-ups."

We are winning the military war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The terrorists are on the run. And slowly, even ineptly, we are achieving our political goals of democratic reform in once-awful places. Thirty years of genocide, vast forced transfers of whole peoples, the desecration of entire landscapes, a ruined infrastructure, and a brutalized and demoralized civilian psyche are being remedied, often under fire. All this and more has been achieved at the price of political turmoil, deep divisions in the West — here and abroad — and the emergence of a strong minority, led by mostly elites, who simply wish it all to fail.

Whether this influential, snarling minority — so prominent in the media, on campuses, in government, and in the arts — succeeds in turning victory into defeat is open to question. Right now the matter rests on the nerve of a half-dozen in Washington who are daily slandered (Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice, Wolfowitz), and with brilliant and courageous soldiers in the field. They are fighting desperately against the always-ticking clock of American impatience, and are forced to confront an Orwellian world in which their battle sacrifice is ignored or deprecated while killing a vicious enemy is tantamount to murder.

No, we — along with those brave Iraqis who have opted for freedom — could very easily still lose this war that our brave troops are somehow now winning.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, that's good! I agree 110%

FRIGGIN WAR WOOF!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, if I wasn't so damn old i'd love to volunteer to lock and load some 7.62mm minis and kick some butt! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and with brilliant and courageous soldiers in the field. They are fighting desperately against the always-ticking clock of American impatience, and are forced to confront an Orwellian world in which their battle sacrifice is ignored or deprecated while killing a vicious enemy is tantamount to murder.

No, we — along with those brave Iraqis who have opted for freedom — could very easily still lose this war that our brave troops are somehow now winning.

God bless them! they are the best! they are doing an amazing job.
i'm just so proud of them. and they need to hear that. if any of you
people have addresses of troops who need letters (real letters) to
let them know we are proud, i 'd be glad to add a few more to my
list. knowing them or not doesn't matter. one Marine i write to gets
extra buddy letters from me to hand out to whoever needs a "letter
from home."

sdpatriot
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: "Disorienting" for whom? ;) Reply with quote

This war isn't in the least disorienting to me, nor is it, I suspect, for most of you.

It's multi-purposed and complex, but clearly defined as to intent and objectives.

The enemy is identified, the progress sure and the outcome certain.

"We will not tire, we will not falter, we will not fail."

The old Vietnam-era anti-war retreads are fast wearing out their welcome. The American people are waking up to the fact that this is a case of political underhandedness.

The left's candidate lost. They can't get past it.

They don't want George W. Bush to succeed, and if it means that we have to "lose" this war in order for their hissy-fit to be satisfied, then so be it.

As we learned from Vietnam, we can win every battle and still lose the war - at home, on our own streets, in our culture.

Some of us are smart enough to see what's happening.

Those of us who aren't, are out motivating for Kerry - filling the airwaves and newspapers and internet bulletin boards across the country with lies, slander and baseless accusations against an honorable President and his administration.

And against this war on terror.

And yet, when the next attacks occur, they will be the first to scream that this administration has not done enough to protect them.

Rolling Eyes
kurtsprincess
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Disorienting" for whom? ;) Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
This war isn't in the least disorienting to me, nor is it, I suspect, for most of you.

It's multi-purposed and complex, but clearly defined as to intent and objectives.

The enemy is identified, the progress sure and the outcome certain.

"We will not tire, we will not falter, we will not fail."

The old Vietnam-era anti-war retreads are fast wearing out their welcome. The American people are waking up to the fact that this is a case of political underhandedness.

The left's candidate lost. They can't get past it.

They don't want George W. Bush to succeed, and if it means that we have to "lose" this war in order for their hissy-fit to be satisfied, then so be it.

As we learned from Vietnam, we can win every battle and still lose the war - at home, on our own streets, in our culture.

Some of us are smart enough to see what's happening.

Those of us who aren't, are out motivating for Kerry - filling the airwaves and newspapers and internet bulletin boards across the country with lies, slander and baseless accusations against an honorable President and his administration.

And against this war on terror.

And yet, when the next attacks occur, they will be the first to scream that this administration has not done enough to protect them.

Rolling Eyes

Love your attitude and perspective. You say so eloquently what I want to say. Thanks NNN!

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Disorienting" for whom? ;) Reply with quote

kurtsprincess wrote:
Love your attitude and perspective. You say so eloquently what I want to say. Thanks NNN!

Well good - I knew there were some others who don't find this war "disorienting." Wink

(only about half the people in the country - that 10% that everyone always talks about has gotten a lot bigger since GWB won the election. Razz )
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: