SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Kerry lose any men in Vietnam?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Did Kerry lose any men in Vietnam? Reply with quote

The debate just finished, and Kerry made two statements that bear on the topics on these boards.

After Bush discussed the pressure and burden of sending soldiers in harm's way, Kerry stated that he knew what it was like to lose men under his command.

Is that true, that Kerry lost any members of his crew while in Vietnam?

Second, Kerry also said, sympathizing with soldiers on duty now, that he knows what it was like to defend his country.

Does that means that Kerry now thinks the Vietnam War was a defence of the US, and not merely an imperialistic war of aggression?

If he was then defending America, how was it then wrong to do so?

Denis
Michmaddave
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the inconsistency of the left is coming home. He has no consistency, just memory fragments that he hopes to snag in order to make more people familiar with him instead of Bush. Demonizing Bush is the goal. He can't do it, and failed to do it tonight, and Kerry will have to lash out more next time to get his message out, which is exactly what he needs to hide. He will deanscream until his face is blue, and his voice is horse, but he will just continue to mobilize those who disagree with him most. To Kerry, this war is unnecessary, but he will win it, he does not say how, but it will be better than Bush. He can do better but it is a secret. He backed our country out of a war before in 1972, but he won't do it again, and he voted for middle class tax increases before but he won't do it again, and he is for social programs as they are, even though they are insolvent, but he does want national health care, which will decrease health care quality here, but it will be regulated like the DNV, and it will be better..... and he won't cut the military this time. but........
I hope you all see a pattern here...
Delusions, all delusions.
These people are sick, and if they win I hope they learn the hard way how their good intentions backfire....
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat down and asked my father-in-law as we were getting ready to watch the debates what year he joined the Navy. He simply said 59. I said so you were in Viet Nam. He said no I was on a supermarine...but I would like to know how John Kerry got 3 purple hearts in 4 months and got to go home. Then he said he is a traitor along with Jane Fonda!

That is how Vietnam vets feel in a nutshell....but this does just not affect only the Viet Nam vets, I served 79-83 with an honorable discharge and I MYSELF am disgusted by who and what JOhn Kerry is. I will fight and fight and fight until this election is over to bring John Kerry down!
1stgpsf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Kerry lose men in combat Reply with quote

I don't know if he lost any men in combat, but I thought I heard him claim that he knew what it was like to lose men in combat during the debate. The posts on Kerry's web site should give the answer to the combat loss question. If he injected another lie in to his campaign, I believe those who served with him will "out" him.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kerry did say he lost men under his command in the debate, and the reason I am asking if this is true is because it doesn't appear in TofD, Unfit for Command, or Kerry's site, and I've never heard him claim that before.

Anybody seen anything to confirm this one? Just want to be sure whether this is another self-aggrandizing Kerry lie, or not.

Denis
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only a few hundred swiftees in the Vietnam Theater of Operations, 55 Swiftees died in combat, but I never heard of any of our fallen brothers getting killed while serving with Hanoi John. Need input from the other swiftees who served at Cat Lo and An Thoi at the same time as Kerry.

There is one other situation to consider. When Kerry finished off the VC teenager, given John's compassion for the commies, he may have counted this boy as his dying comrade.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
There were only a few hundred swiftees in the Vietnam Theater of Operations, 55 Swiftees died in combat, but I never heard of any of our fallen brothers getting killed while serving with Hanoi John.

The reason I think this is important is because like the 'seared - seared in me' memories, it can stand out as another reflexive Kerry aggrandization of himself and his experience in Vietnam that can easily be proven as such. If he lost anyone under his command, did he write a letter to the next of kin? Does he remember the name or names of those who died under his command? Good Hannity question for Kerry-ites.

Denis
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Kerry's losses Reply with quote

I have spent considerable effort reading after action reports and such. Kerry never lost a man. He never even had anyone seriously hurt. Which is pretty amazing, considering the number of times his boat received intense enemy automatic weapons and small arms fire from an enemy maybe 100 feet away - with a wide open field of fire. The VC and NVA I encountered must have had better weapons instructors.

In all fairness though, Kerry did not actually state that he had lost any of his own men - at least that is the way I heard it. And a few of his friends were killed - Don Droz and Richard Pershing for instance - so I figure he has plenty of "wiggle room" in case he ever gets called on his statement.

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry's losses Reply with quote

Bob Chamberlain wrote:
I have spent considerable effort reading after action reports and such. Kerry never lost a man. He never even had anyone seriously hurt.

Including himself.........
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the quotes from the transcript:

Quote:
BUSH: You know, my hardest -- the hardest part of the job is to know that I committed the troops in harm's way…You know, I think about Missy Johnson…Her husband PJ got killed. He'd been in Afghanistan, went to Iraq…You know, it's hard work to try to love her as best as I can, knowing full well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way.

KERRY: I understand what the president is talking about, because I know what it means to lose people in combat.

He was specifically speaking to what Bush was speaking of, and that was Bush commanding men to be in harm's way and dying, under Bush's command. Very different thing to have lost buddies, when you don't have any reponsibility for that.

I repeat, saying that he understood what the President was saying was saying that men went into harm's way under his orders and died, and simply put, never happened.

Denis
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bob C over the issue. I heard Kerry make the statement of losing men, I got the impression the way he worded it was you could take it 2 ways, 1:men he was in charge of or worked directly with or 2: men who were personal friends. Knowing what I have read in UFC, read on here and researched out, I took it as the 2nd option.

Honor, Courage and Committment
something John F. Kerry doesn't have
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Denis, you're right - especially when the two sentences are put up right next to each other, as they were in the debate. But I still think his phrasing is vague enough to allow him to wiggle out by saying he meant his friends who had died - and not that he had actually commanded someone to hs death. I guess what I am saying is that there really isn't anything there that we can truly NAIL him with.

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, did any of his friends die there?
poseidon
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
well, did any of his friends die there?

Yes
Quote:
As the Gridley crossed the Pacific, an officer bearing a telegram tracked Kerry down on the deck.

``Do you know a guy named Dick Pershing?'' the officer asked. The officer handed him the paper, and Kerry feared the worst as he opened it.

On Feb. 17, 1968, the telegram said, Richard Pershing had died due to ``wounds received while on a combat mission when his unit came under hostile small-arms and rocket attack while searching for remains of a missing member of his unit.''

Kerry was devastated. The war was no longer an abstract policy issue. One of his best friends, bearing one of the most famous names in US military history, had died trying to find a fallen comrade. Kerry couldn't attend the funeral because he was so far at sea. Instead, he wrote to Pershing's parents, then to his own.

``Dearest Mama and Papa,'' Kerry wrote in his stylistic script. ``What can I say? I am empty, bitter, angry and desperately lost with nothing but war, violence and more war around me. I just don't believe it was meant to be this cruel and senseless -- that anyone could possibly get near to Persh to take his life. What a Goddamn total waste. Why? . . . I have never felt so void of feeling before. . . . With the loss of Persh something has gone out of me -- he was so much a part of my life at the irreplaceable, incomparable moments of love, concerns, anger and compassion exchanged in Bones that can never be replaced.''

link to Boston Globe Article
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry's losses Reply with quote

Bob Chamberlain wrote:
I have spent considerable effort reading after action reports and such. Kerry never lost a man. He never even had anyone seriously hurt. Which is pretty amazing, considering the number of times his boat received intense enemy automatic weapons and small arms fire from an enemy maybe 100 feet away - with a wide open field of fire. The VC and NVA I encountered must have had better weapons instructors.

In all fairness though, Kerry did not actually state that he had lost any of his own men - at least that is the way I heard it. And a few of his friends were killed - Don Droz and Richard Pershing for instance - so I figure he has plenty of "wiggle room" in case he ever gets called on his statement.

Pershing died before Kerry was assigned to swift boats and Droz was killed after Kerry left in an operation Kerry would likely have participated in if he had stayed.

There was an Nung mercenary killed by a booby trap during the operation when Kerry got his third purple heart because he didn't run away from one of his own grenades fast enough. However, the Nung was under army command. Kerry had previously falsely claimed that several men died in the incident later that day when PCF 3 hit a mine.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: