SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diane Sawyer v. Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Ranh '71
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Diane Sawyer v. Kerry Reply with quote

"Classic Candidate Kerry" Wednesday.

Excerpt from PowerlineBlog.com

How hard can it be?................

to tie John Kerry in knots over Iraq if even Diane Sawyer can do it? Consider this exchange, as reproduced by PoliPundit:

DIANE SAWYER: Was the war in Iraq worth it?

JOHN KERRY: We should not have gone to war knowing the information that we know today.

DS: So it was not worth it.

JK: We should not — it depends on the outcome ultimately — and that depends on the leadership. And we need better leadership to get the job done successfully, but I would not have gone to war knowing that there was no imminent threat — there were no weapons of mass destruction — there was no connection of Al Qaeda — to Saddam Hussein! The president misled the American people — plain and simple. Bottom line.

DS: So if it turns out okay, it was worth it?

JK: No.

DS: But right now it wasn’t [ … ? … ]–

JK: It was a mistake to do what he did, but we have to succeed now that we’ve done what he’s — I mean look — we have to succeed. But was it worth — as you asked the question — $200 billion and taking the focus off of Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda? That’s the question. The test of the presidency was whether or not you should have gone to war to get rid of him. I think, had the inspectors continued, had we done other things — there were plenty of ways to keep the pressure on Saddam Hussein.

DS: But no way to get rid of him.

JK: Oh, sure there were. Oh, yes there were. Absolutely.

DS: So you’re saying that today, even if Saddam Hussein were in power today it would be a better thing — you would prefer that . . .

JK: No, I would not prefer that. And Diane — don’t twist here.

There's little need to analyze this exchange-- the real story is Kerry's inability, after all this time, to sound coherent on Iraq, and his testiness when a relatively friendly journalist asks for straight answers. But there is another story. Kerry is now claiming that there "absolutely" were ways to "get rid" of Saddam without the U.S. going to war with him. And it is through this claim, apparently, that Kerry intends to argue that it was not worth it to go war, while avoiding a concession that he prefers having Saddam in power to the present situation.

Sawyer did not ask Kerry how we could have toppled Saddam without taking him on militarily (why should she have; she was already trouncing him?). If she had asked, Kerry might have responded that eventually the U.S. could have taken him on with a broader coalition, as if (a) France would ever have joined us and (b) having a few Frenchmen on the ground would make the present situation materially different. In any event should Kerry's statement to Sawyer become his latest position on Iraq, he might as well throw in the towel. In the current environment, I can't conceive of Americans electing a president that prone to ducking hard choices through wishful, if not delusional, thinking.

Remember: "Thinking is the best way to travel!"
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did he say? I guess I need a cBS/DNC political analyst to understand what he said. Guess I am dumber than a door knob. Rolling Eyes
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said a bunch of words that meant little or nothing and snuck in a few non-sequitur attacks on the incumbent.

This is his specialty, in debate - straw men and ad hominem attacks.
almost1angel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Sawyer v. kerry Reply with quote

Confused Looks like he made a fool of himself again!! I am sure he will tonight in the debate. Not sure I can stomach him for an hour or more when I can't do it for 15 minutes.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
What did he say?

The panel on Brit Hume's show last night couldn't figure out what he said Exclamation Laughing Laughing
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Mara Liasson was sure trying to spin it that SHE had a handle on it and that Kerry did, too. Brit Hume didn't let her get away with it.

Best moment went something like this:

Brit: So does he have a tenable position on this?

Fred: Well, he has a position.

Very Happy
Cam Ranh '71
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Kerry / Sawyer interview Reply with quote

Theresa said, What did he [Kerry] say?

Precisely my point! Either everything to cover his ass, or absolutely Nothing! Depending on your point of view of course. A great debater?, not if he keeps this jargon up.
You don't want this incompetent person making life and death decisions for you or our country, for sure.

BTW: I get most of my news/analysis via selected bloggers, including Iraqi bloggers. The only times I read/watch mainstream media is for a laugh [Rather-gate].

CS

Remember: "Thinking is the best way to travel!"
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am glad that I am a little smarter than a door knob since I could not figure it out Very Happy I was beginning to wonder if I was the really just not reading it right Rolling Eyes
dennispro
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the sad part is that Diane Sawyer is pretty much a "softball" journalist. She opened the door for him to take a stance and then back it up. He got so flustered that he fell apart pretty quickly.

Tonight will be a riot! We have an office pool going as to how long it will take before he contradicts himself. So far, the shortest time is 8 minutes of speaking time (GWB's time doesn't count), and one optimist (a staunch Democrat Kerry supporter) has gone for the whole 90 minutes. If he steps on his d!ck early, I plan on making a lot of money....

Essayons

Just lookin' for the truth... wherever that might take me.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis

The reason he has 8 minutes is probably to reduce his flip flops down to a minimum. After all they really can't allow Kerry to speak too long because then he will change his mind once again Rolling Eyes
dennispro
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Theresa!
I hope it's 8 minutes or less, as that is MY time in the pool. At $5 a head, I could pay for a nice dinner for me and the wife if I win.

Essayons

Just lookin' for the truth... wherever that might take me.
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.F. Kerry is too dumb to be a human being.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who has seen the commercial... I think Kerry's best answer to any question dealing with his position on Iraq would be ... "Thank you". Smile
Redleg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole Double-Dip John flibbed that one and I just loved the way he tries to wiggle out of the incorrect answer by advising Diane Sawyer what the real question was. (Or should have been) John youse been busted, I think. Wink
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he thinks it was worth it before it wasn't worth it.

Hey, I just thought of something. If he wins the election, he can go to the UN or call a summit of our allies and explain how, since Kofi says the war is illegal, Sadam should have been put back in power before he was overthrown and put in jail. He could explain how it was all a mistake, you know, the wrong war, in the wrong place, etc. and since 1000 americans have died fighting and a few have been beheaded on camera and all, he could call it even.

Then they would think he is sensitive and stuff, so they will like Americans again and stop trying to kill all of us. Rolling Eyes

Big Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: