SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOCKHART: DEBATE CONSENSUS A 'DRAW'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: LOCKHART: DEBATE CONSENSUS A 'DRAW' Reply with quote

Unbeknownst to Kerry adviser Mike McCurry, a C-SPAN camera quietly followed McCurry as he found Kerry adviser Joe Lockhart on Spin Alley floor and asked him his impression of the debate. Lockhart candidly said to McCurry , “The consensus is it was a draw.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and another doozie...
Kerry said that they subways closed during the RNC..(shot at Bush for Homeland Security)..wrongggggggg...lie lie lie...I refer you to a article:

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/politics/rnc/nyc-shut0903,0,1778717.story?coll=nyc-gop-headlines

The only thing shut down were two ramps at Penn Station during Bush's acceptance speech..

maybe joe knows that his guy said some whoppers tonight, and us pajama peeps are on it like white on rice..

PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught that, too. If memory serves, the subway was closed in Boston (North Station) in JK's home state, but not in NY. Maybe if MA's junior Senator showed up for his current job, they wouldn't have had to close down the city.
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: My Nickel Reply with quote

KERRY: The president always has the right, and always has had the right, for

preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold War. And it was

always one of the things we argued about with respect to arms control. No president,

though all of American history, has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt

in any way necessary to protect the United States of America. But if and when you do

it, Jim, you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test

where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're

doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons.

Fact:
Kerry thinks we should pass Global test before defending ourselves. Why should our

country seek global permission to defend our interests?

KERRY: With respect to Iran, the British, French, and Germans were the ones who

initiated an effort without the United States, regrettably, to begin to try to move to

curb the nuclear possibilities in Iran. I believe we could have done better.
I think the United States should have offered the opportunity to provide the nuclear

fuel, test them, see whether or not they were actually looking for it for peaceful

purposes. If they weren't willing to work a deal, then we could have put sanctions

together. The president did nothing.

FACT:
Kerry thinks we should give Nuclear materials to a terrorist nation like Iran. Who

thinks we should give Nuclar Materials To Iran, that would be a reward for building

Nuclar weapons. It would be a bribe.

LEHRER: New question. Senator Kerry, two minutes. You just -- you've repeatedly

accused President Bush -- not here tonight, but elsewhere before -- of not telling the

truth about Iraq, essentially of lying to the American people about Iraq. Give us some

examples of what you consider to be his not telling the truth.
KERRY: Well, I've never, ever used the harshest word, as you did just then. And I try

not to. I've been -- but I'll nevertheless tell you that I think he has not been candid

with the American people. And I'll tell you exactly how.

FACTS:

On 9/20/03, Kerry said:

IN SEPTEMBER 2003, KERRY SAID BUSH ADMINISTRATION "LIED" AND "MISLED."

"This administration has lied to us. They have misled us. And they have broken their

promises to us. The president promised to the people and the Congress that he would

build an international coalition, respect the United Nations' process and only go to war

as a last resort. I will tell you that from my war fighting experience, I believe there is

a test for a president as to how you go to war. And that test is whether or not you can

look in the eyes of parents and say to them, 'I did everything possible to avoid the

loss of your son and daughter, but we had no other choice in order to protect the

security of our nation,' and I know this president fails that test in Iraq." (Sen. John

Kerry, Campaign Event, Claremont, NH, 9/20/03)

Fact Check by Fox news:

Kerry, as he often does, said the United States has spent $200 billion on the Iraq war.

An analysis by FactCheck.org at the Annenberg School for Communication found that the true cost to be under $120 billion so far and that Kerry reaches his figure by counting money scheduled to be spent next year, money that hasn't been requested yet and money for Afghanistan operations and U.S. cities.

The Democrat apparently misspoke when painting a dark picture of the chaos in Iraq today. He said of Iraq, "we got weapons of mass destruction crossing the border every single day, and they're blowing people up."

He apparently meant terrorists, not weapons of mass destruction, were crossing the border.

He also misspoke when he referred to looking at KGB records in Treblinka Square in a

visit to Russia. Treblinka was a Nazi death camp. He meant Lubyanka Square.

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Stop Hanoi John
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: LOCKHART: DEBATE CONSENSUS A 'DRAW' Reply with quote

openfish24 wrote:

Unbeknownst to Kerry adviser Mike McCurry, a C-SPAN camera quietly followed McCurry as he found Kerry adviser Joe Lockhart on Spin Alley floor and asked him his impression of the debate. Lockhart candidly said to McCurry , “The consensus is it was a draw.”

Link??? At least tell me where you heard this. I can't find this by Googling.

It would certainly be a nice bit of info to slap in the face of the libs who are blindly calling it a Kerry victory.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it all - I'm presently on a business trip to Germany which is 6 hours ahead of EDT, but I woke up and watched the last 30 minutes or so on CNN International (about half the cable channels had the debate live). My feeling is that the debate didn't make ANY converts, and probably didn't have much effect on those that are "undecided" - if there are any at this point.

My feeling is that the better debate will be the VP debate.
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Cheney is gonna cook Edward's goose.
Stop Hanoi John
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: LOCKHART: DEBATE CONSENSUS A 'DRAW' Reply with quote

Stop Hanoi John wrote:
openfish24 wrote:

Link??? At least tell me where you heard this. I can't find this by Googling.

It would certainly be a nice bit of info to slap in the face of the libs who are blindly calling it a Kerry victory.

EDIT: NEVER MIND! I just saw it on C-SPAN. That was freaking HILARIOUS!!!!

After the convo, he turns around and says 'oh....hello.....we were just comparing notes'.

BUSTED!!! LMFAO!!!
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Tim Russert, immediately after the debate, came to the same conclusion: "A draw. No knockout punches."

Today, he thinks Kerry won. Why am I not surprised?

I wonder when Timmy is going to ask Kerry to vow to release ALL of his military records as he did Bush?
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as if Bush won with substance and Kerry won with style points. At times Bush seemed a little too anxious considering his title of president. I am very sad that Bush didn't use his last 2 minutes that were to go without rebuttal to talk a little about Kerry's past negotiations with the Communists and how he stood up to fight Reagan on every issue of defense and the weapons systems he voted against. With time permitting, then rebut the Tora Bora claim as I know we hit everything that moved!
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush showed he is resolute as he has always been.

I thought Kerry showed how welll of a twister he is by explaining away his prior words.

Of course the MSM is going to say Kerry won as I knew they would. Kerry in his own right did well and was smooth, he didn;t say anything stupid, but how can anyone trust him?

Bush was very confident and seemd eager to have a platform to refute the claims laid upon his administration. The MSM does not allow Bush to defend himself and when hee does they boo and hiss.

Bush won't win any debates unless Kerry does something really dumb.

It's utter bias an contempt for Bush and only a select few will get around that like Brit Hume, Fred Barnes, Hannity, Rush, Coulter and a few others. The rest will explain away and fall all over Kerry.

I hope they are all happy when working folks are paying $2k -3k more in taxes a year and North Korea is doing whatever if feels like to get whatever it wants while millions in the middle east perish at the hands of terrorists.

Meanwhile, John boy will be making deals to sell stealth bombers to China. Rolling Eyes
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDaughterofVet wrote:
Yep and another doozie...
Kerry said that they subways closed during the RNC..(shot at Bush for Homeland Security)..wrongggggggg...lie lie lie...I refer you to a article:

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/politics/rnc/nyc-shut0903,0,1778717.story?coll=nyc-gop-headlines

The only thing shut down were two ramps at Penn Station during Bush's acceptance speech..

maybe joe knows that his guy said some whoppers tonight, and us pajama peeps are on it like white on rice..

PD

But will the people that were actually there admit the fact?
Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Texas Army NG 13E FDC
BTRY B 3-133 Arty
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an earlier thread on this forum called Surge Protector. It was posted by RogerRabbit on 5 Sept.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11060&highlight=surge+protector

It was about an article in the Weekly Standard, which states that the media would spin almost exactly the way they were spinning. Might be worth a read.
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KERRY DIDN'T GET IT DONE

By DAVID WINSTON
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

October 1, 2004 --

ON the day of the most im portant debate in their political lives, President Bush was in shirt sleeves consoling Florida hurricane victims, patting some on the back, hugging others and shaking hands with the tired relief workers. John Kerry had a manicure.

If ever there was a metaphor for the difference between these two candidates and their respective relationships with the American people, it was this. As The Weekly Standard's Fred Barnes put Kerry's problem so succinctly last night, "This is a man who really needs to go bowling."

For all the back and forth between the two men, the debate did nothing to change that reality. Kerry's pontifical performance was light on specifics, heavy on criticism and plagued by the inconsistencies that have characterized his positions on Iraq for more than a year.

While there were few fireworks, I suspect swing voters did come away with a few perceptions. First, Bush knows what he's trying to accomplish. He believes deeply in the rightness of the war in Iraq and its centrality to the larger War on Terror. His message is the same message voters have heard since 9/11 — we will go on the offensive to fight terrorists wherever they are found to keep this nation safe.

On the other hand, voters saw Kerry continue to struggle to define his position on the war — justifying his latest position, which is to call the war a mistake, while promising to bring new allies on board to fight for what he terms a "grand diversion."

He failed totally to make a convincing case for either his strategic vision, what there is of it, or his so-called four-point tactical plan for winning in Iraq which bears a striking resemblance to what the Bush administration is already doing.

Perhaps the most telling moment was the exchange between the two candidates on the issue of North Korea's nuclear program. Here, Kerry, who harshly criticized Bush for rejecting multilateralism in the leadup to the Iraq war, was equally critical of Bush's insistence on maintaining a multilateral approach in dealing with North Korea today. Consistency is clearly not Kerry's strong suit.

For all practical purposes, Kerry's debate performance was little more than a replay of his campaign stump speeches. Even his close — "I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as president" — was almost verbatim from his acceptance speech. It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

Kerry needed to win this debate decisively. Bush not only held his own but, in a plainspoken passion, showed why voters have more confidence in his leadership in the War on Terror. (Dat'sa my boy) Laughing
----------------------------------
David Winston is a veteran GOP political consultant and columnist for Roll Call.

"Swiftvet Donation site"
http://swift1.he.net/~swiftvet/index.php
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-SPAN will rerun the debates this weekend (don't know the time). I hope someone can get this on tape and send it to Laura Ingraham or someone. I'd do it but my vcr is broken. All this crap about Kerry winning the debate is pure spin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: