SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The case Bush should make on Iraq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whacker77
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: The case Bush should make on Iraq Reply with quote

Poll after poll has found that most voters prefer Bush's vision on Iraq over that of Kerry. Most of that opinion is due to two things. First, George W. Bush is president and commander in chief. Second and probably most important, Kerry has been totally ineffectual in his Iraq explanations.

Over the past ten days and during the debate, Kerry mentioned over and over again about his plan for Iraq. He mentioned his typical lines about foreign involvement and quicker training. For the most part, it has not caught on because he has been incoherent on Iraq. Despite this, I don't think Bush has been as effective as he has needed to be.

Time after time, he has said that his plan in Iraq is to win. That's great and I totally agree with. That's what Americans want to hear. In opinion, he needs to be more specific. It's not enough to say that we're going to win or Kerry's plan is the same as mine. Bush needs to go farther.

If I were one of Bush's counselors, this would be my advice and talking points to him.

First and foremost, my plan in Iraq is simple: We win, they lose. The question is how do we best go about achieving victory. First, we must continue to give full support to the interim government of Prime Minister Allawi. He is a courageous man who knows the barbarity of Saddam Hussein. We must stand side by side as he and his government move towards true democracy.

Second, we must continue the task of training the new Iraqi security forces. Although we've had our ups and downs over the past year, we are making great progress in our training efforts. Lt. General David Petraus is in charge of the training program and every two weeks a new battalion of soldiers is trained. Along with help from NATO, these new security forces will form the backbone of a strong and free Iraq.

Third, we and our new Iraqi allies must do everything possible to secure the remaining pockets of resistance. Today, 15 of 18 provinces are safe and ready for reconstruction and free election but we must do more. We must clear out the insurgents and break the back of the rebellion once and for all. Make no mistake, this will be difficult and deadly, but it must be accomplished.

Fourth, we must make sure that free and fair elections are held on schedule. The people of Iraq yearn for the privelage that Saddam denied them and we must help them reach that goal. If we fail, the insurgents win and that will not happen under my watch.

Most importantly, we simply cannot fail in Iraq. Victory is the only option and the terrorist understand this. That is why they fight so fanatically and with such low regard for human life. We must succeed in Iraq or the country will become another Afghanistan, a haven for terrorists and their training camps. If we fail today, the consequences in the future will be far greater. I will not allow the terrorists and their hate to grab a foothold and threaten a fedgling new democracy.

What does everyone think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: