SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yellow Ribbons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Yellow Ribbons Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do those Yellow Ribbons that say," Support Our Troops" annoy others?

First, it was a song about a convicted criminal who asked his love to,"Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" if he was forgiven for his crime, and could come home, I guess.

Then, people used them to try to get our embassy staff released because we had a "leader" in the White House who didn't have the guts to go get them.

What is it now? The yellow ribbons will make Osams turn himself in and beg forgivness? Our troops need to know that they are not criminals who will be forgiven when they come home. They also need to know that they are not hostages. They need a Commander-In-Chief that will lead them to victory. Not John Kerry.

The support they need is knowing that we are proud of them and what they are doing for their country. Take it from one who in that situation years ago, when people back home said, that war doesn't matter, we want you to come home. It makes you think. If I'm here for them, but they don't want me here, what am I doing here?

Yellow ribbons? Why not crossed rifles, or a bald eagle holding arrows in BOTH talons? Only cowards are yellow, and isn't this the "Land Of The Brave?"

Are these people with the yellow ribbons the ones who say, " I support our troops but not the war in Iraq?"

Big Al
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your opinion about yellow ribbons. I do grant good faith to those who display them as an expression of their concern for a loved one in the service or some similar sentiment. However, I think they could do better by avoiding the yellow ribbons.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a cancer thing?
But kerry makes it look wrong? Wink
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arty Guy wrote:
I agree with your opinion about yellow ribbons. I do grant good faith to those who display them as an expression of their concern for a loved one in the service or some similar sentiment. However, I think they could do better by avoiding the yellow ribbons.

One magnetic yellow ribbon for sale, cheap.

Someone design some crossed rifles or something so I can decorate my car please.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sign of keeping the troops in their thoughts and prayers is welcome, to me.

An eagle with talons full of missiles would be great, but wouldn't be as instantly recognizable for a while as the American flag or the star banners or the yellow ribbon.

Start a new symbol, BigAl! Smile
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion!

The ribbon from the National Defense Service Medal overwritten with the words "Defend our Defenders"
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't agree. The yellow ribbon has become a symbol of having someone in harms way, and is accepted as such. I have a son in Iraq and a very large yellow ribbon tied around a tree in my yard. I also have the military sign with the star in the window. Both will stay where they are until he returns.
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt some concern about the use of the yellow ribbon but I feel it is a way for people to express they are aware of our troops being in harms way and a daily reminder.
For me my magnetic ribbons on my car are R, W, & B with " Freedom Isn't Free" and one is the black POW/MIA "Never Forgotten". And a Kerry Lied... sticker is above them on the back window. I feel my message is clear.
I got magnets at magnetsamerica.com for those who are needing a source but there are many sources. And the Kerry lied sticker from stolenhonor.com. Get the documentary!!

Rememer: LIGHTS ON FOR BUSH; LIGHTS OUT FOR KERRY CTW

NEVER EVER KERRY

Last edited by CTW on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
Sorry I don't agree. The yellow ribbon has become a symbol of having someone in harms way, and is accepted as such. I have a son in Iraq and a very large yellow ribbon tied around a tree in my yard. I also have the military sign with the star in the window. Both will stay where they are until he returns.

I agree. We, too, have the magnetic yellow ribbons with "Support Our Troops" on the back of our cars. Likewise, we have the blue star service flag prominently displayed in a front window. They stay as long as our son is in the service, and as long as we have troops in harm's way. IMO, nothing wrong with wearing your feelings "on your sleeve".
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some of you aren't going to like this, but I have a
yellow ribbon and have written to my "adopted servicemen
and women" including a picture collage I made up of all
sorts of cars with various ribbons with expressions of
support for the troops. Personally I think it is wonderful
to see so many vehicles sporting these simple expressions
of support and concern.

The yellow ribbon reference in the song indicated I'm
coming home, do you still want me? And over the years it
has come to symbolize "return to us" in pop culture. Of course
the use of ribbons for every cause going has been over used in
my oppinion. But I still think the old yellow ribbon rings a chord
in most of our hearts and minds!

We want them home, and our thoughts and prayers are with them
AND their families, who will see these ribbons too.

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a large camouflage magnetic ribbon last weekend with “Home of the free because of the brave” on it. A group of mothers and spouses of Oregon Army National Guard troops deployed in Iraq are selling them in booths at shows. They are raising money to purchase airline tickets for their sons, daughters, or spouses to take a two-week trip home from duty in Iraq. The only problem is you have to remember to take it off your car when you park it in public or someone will take it. By the way, everyone of them said they are voting for President Bush. They all expressed a great fear of Kerry winning.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharley wrote:
I purchased a large camouflage magnetic ribbon last weekend with “Home of the free because of the brave” on it. A group of mothers and spouses of Oregon Army National Guard troops deployed in Iraq are selling them in booths at shows. They are raising money to purchase airline tickets for their sons, daughters, or spouses to take a two-week trip home from duty in Iraq.

Could you post some contact information? I'll bet there's lots of folks on this forum who might be interested.'Smile
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow Ribbons Reply with quote

BigAl533 wrote:
Is it just me, or do those Yellow Ribbons that say," Support Our Troops" annoy others?

First, it was a song about a convicted criminal who asked his love to,"Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" if he was forgiven for his crime, and could come home, I guess.

Then, people used them to try to get our embassy staff released because we had a "leader" in the White House who didn't have the guts to go get them.

What is it now? The yellow ribbons will make Osams turn himself in and beg forgivness? Our troops need to know that they are not criminals who will be forgiven when they come home. They also need to know that they are not hostages. They need a Commander-In-Chief that will lead them to victory. Not John Kerry.

The support they need is knowing that we are proud of them and what they are doing for their country. Take it from one who in that situation years ago, when people back home said, that war doesn't matter, we want you to come home. It makes you think. If I'm here for them, but they don't want me here, what am I doing here?

Yellow ribbons? Why not crossed rifles, or a bald eagle holding arrows in BOTH talons? Only cowards are yellow, and isn't this the "Land Of The Brave?"

Are these people with the yellow ribbons the ones who say, " I support our troops but not the war in Iraq?"

Big Al, I respectifully disagree with you on this one.

When I got back from Iraq, and I went home to visit my parents, the American Flag that my Dad runs up a pole every morning and the yellow ribbons on the trees in his front yard were to me one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. Those ribbons were really weathered and faded from being out there for a year, and when I got home, my Mom and I replaced the faded ribbons with some new bright yellow ones for the soldiers still there.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Quote:
When I got back from Iraq, and I went home to visit my parents, the American Flag that my Dad runs up a pole every morning and the yellow ribbons on the trees in his front yard were to me one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. Those ribbons were really weathered and faded from being out there for a year, and when I got home, my Mom and I replaced the faded ribbons with some new bright yellow ones for the soldiers still there

Now that's what I was saying! Those guys and gals
know what those yellow ribbons mean. Thanks for
sharing Brian. So glad you're home!

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see we all agree: no matter the color of the ribbons we love and support our troops. We pray they all return unharmed and we will never forget their service. So get those ribbons on those cars, run your lights and most importantly Vote to support them on Nov. 2. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: