SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Men videotaped vandalizing sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Men videotaped vandalizing sign Reply with quote

Quote:
Summit elections official catches culprits tearing down Bush-Cheney poster

By Marilyn Miller and Andale Gross

Beacon Journal staff writers

Two men who tore down a Bush-Cheney sign and urinated on it were caught on videotape by Summit County Republican officials early Friday morning.

The videotape shows the men sneaking into the yard of a West Market Street home and bending the sign to the ground. The men struggled to rip the sign out of the ground by shaking it and pulling it but couldn't get it off the posts, so they knocked it down. Sounds heard on the tape suggest the men urinated on the sign. They were white males, about 30 to 35 years old, well-dressed and well-groomed. They parked across the street in what police think was a foreign car, a Toyota or Honda.

The homeowner, Steve Kotsatos, who is also assistant to the director of the Summit County Board of Elections, called Akron police dispatchers at 10:38 a.m. Friday and told them about how his campaign sign was vandalized.

He said he caught the vandals on a night-vision camera he had installed the day before.

``A couple of days ago my neighbor's sign was set on fire with a blowtorch so I figured I might be next,'' Kotsatos said. ``This is not only criminal damaging but a safety hazard.''

The large 4-by-8-foot, red, white and blue sign was tipped over in Kotsatos' yard about 1 a.m. Friday.

John Kerry's name was scrawled across Bush's name in black marker on one side of the sign -- the work of previous vandals, Kotsatos said.

He discovered the bent sign at 6:45 a.m.

Police took a report of the incident and retrieved a copy of the videotape to review. No arrests have been made.

Akron police Lt. Sylvia Trundle said depending on the amount of damage -- officials estimate the sign's value at $200 to $400 -- the culprits could be charged with vandalism, but if the value is $500 or more they could face criminal damaging or criminal mischief charges. They are all misdemeanors and would carry a maximum sentence of six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Local Republicans and Democrats say the stealing and damaging of campaign signs has been worse this presidential race than in past races. In some cases, the signs have been shredded and burned.

According to the Summit County Republican Party, about 3,000 of the 4,000 signs the GOP has handed out supporting Bush and Cheney have been taken from yards or damaged.

More than 1,000 signs backing Sen. Kerry, D-Mass., and running mate Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., have been taken from yards, according to the Summit County Democratic Party.

Both parties deny taking part in any sign stealing.

Even political leaders like Summit GOP Party Chairman Alex Arshinkoff and Summit Democratic Party Finance Chairman Wayne Jones have seen their signs targeted.

Officials in Medina, Wayne and Portage counties also have reported thefts of campaign signs.

Area police departments say they investigate sign theft complaints when they get them. They say it's best when a description of the vandals or their vehicle can be given.

Kotsatos said he had a Bush sign in his yard four years ago and nobody bothered it. The Republican Party is looking into a possible $1,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the men.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/9876845.htm

Video: http://www.krd1.com/quicktime/bush_sign.mov

Stolen Honor
Zachstar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally desperate Bush-haters LOL!
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they catch them! Twisted Evil

Stolen Honor
theresa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stealing and damaging of Bush/Cheney lawn signs is very widespread. On the night of the first debate, about 3 AM, I was lying awake worrying about the president's performance, when I heard a car pull up. We live at the entrance to a cul de sac, and I thought the car was simply turning around in the circle. Instead, it stopped right in front of my house. The motor was kept running, the door opened, and a man stepped out and walked around pulling up all the Bush/Chene signs he could find. He threw them into his car and took off. I couldn't see the man's face or his license number, but I have three big Bush/Cheney signs on my lawn now, but I take them in as soon as it begins getting dark.

Theresa
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS IT ANY WONDER IT IS WIDE SPREAD WHEN DNC MCAWFUL AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS SAID THIS FRIDAY THE DAY OF THE DEBATE.

I don't care what you've got to do to get those Bush signs out of the way," McAuliffe told the College Democrats. "Do what you have to do."
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't seen much vanalism regarding campaign signs in our city, but a dispute arose between our City Council and a couple of residents. Our city has an ordinance prohibiting the display of campaign signs prior to 30 days before an election and has a limit of two signs per residence. Two residents felt it was limiting their freedom of speech and refused to remove them. I have zilch use or respect for the ACLU, but they stepped in and I side with them in this case. The city has backed off and says they will prosecute infraction of the ordinance after the election. Don't see much in the line of vandalism here because we are largely Bush/Cheney supporters, as are the residents involved. I try to keep active in my city government so will be sure to follow this closely.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to having signs stolen, someone has broken the large plate glass windows of the local Bush/Cheney headquarters twice by throwing rocks.

Of course, the media trys to make it seem that Kerry's signs are victims too but how many Kerry/Kedwards headquarters have been vandalized or the campaign workers attacked?

This is what Kerry represents and he hasn't condemned or told his followers to stop the vandalism or attacks.

You can be certain that if this was being done to the Kedwards headquarters, there'd be a 60 mins 2 segment on it and front page headlines in every National paper.

Kedwards, the party of criminals. No wonder they have been going to prisons/jails registering inmates all over the country. I just hope enough good people go vote to stop them on Nov. 2.

VS
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet_supporter wrote:
In addition to having signs stolen, someone has broken the large plate glass windows of the local Bush/Cheney headquarters twice by throwing rocks.

You know this answer is OT but maybe a great idea for glass replacement.

Sometime ago, I can't remember just when, on COPS I believe it was, they had caught a burglar attempting to break into a jewelry store window. It was all caught on surveillance video. The man was filmed running up to the store window with a large cinderblock in his hands, which he heaved with all his might at the glass. Except it wasn’t glass at all, it was 2” thick bullet proof Plexiglas! The cinderblock simply bounced off the glass and smacked him in the head knocking his stupid a$$ out cold and also setting off the stores alarm system. All the police had to do was just scoop him up off the ground.

2" Thick bullet proof Plexiglas --- $600
1 Concrete Cinderblock -----------$1.50
Getting it all caught on video –--- Priceless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: