SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did Kerry do that?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: How did Kerry do that? Reply with quote

I know that it is almost certainly too late for the following issue to have any effect on the 2 Nov election, but maybe it can be used to defeat Kerry in his next Senate re-election...

We all know how masterfully and efficiently Kerry "gamed" the system to manufacture a (self-proclaimed) hero's credentials in such a short time. I keep asking myself: How did he do that? How did he know what to do? How was he so successful in doing it?

When I think of what I knew (and didn't know) as a young Ensign and LTJG - and what all my contemporaries knew - I am absolutely astounded at what Kerry pulled off. The only way I can conceive of this phenomenon is to think that Kerry had help, and a lot of it (and highly placed too). Just think of all the arcane regulations, rules, and procedures that Kerry would have had to know how to manipulate to have succeeded (at a time when young officers were by-and-large told to "shut up and learn")! And even if one knew how to game the system, it's yet another matter to be successful in doing it.

The more I think about this, the more I'm certain that young JFK had an unusual degree of help from the time he was sworn in as an officer until at least his reassignment to the US. I've no doubt at all that the Kennedy mafia had to have taken a prominent role in Kerry's "Naval career" management. But I also think it required the services of a well-placed "insider" somewhere in Kerry's immediate chain-of-command to have coached and facilitated the remarkable chain of events that resulted in Kerry getting those 3 PHs and two medals in such a short time.

Is there any chance of ever being able to confirm my theory? And what are the chances of ever being able to find any evidence or proof that John Kerry was, himself, the true "Fortunate Son"?
highwayman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doupt in my mind that there is someone on the payrole that there only job is too put the spin on the subject. from what i have seen and heard kerry's military service is the high point of his life and since his career in the senate is uneventful there is nothing to highlight.

god help us if someone like kerry get's elected, 8 years of clinton was bad enough.

this country was founded through independance and NOT through world opinion. it would be a sad day when the un would be allowed to tataly take us over.
Ogre
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Kerry already closely associated with Ted Kennedy in the late sixties?
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His old man knew people.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I also think it required the services of a well-placed "insider" somewhere in Kerry's immediate chain-of-command to have coached and facilitated the remarkable chain of events that resulted in Kerry getting those 3 PHs and two medals in such a short time.

I don't see anything to support that theory at all.

However, I can imagine a couple of scenarios where certain people in certain departments of certain bureaus at the Navy Annex who shuffle paperwork that makes things happen a LOT faster than the chain of command could ever make them happen. The chain of command is the LONG way around the horn. The paper pushers are the ones who ACTUALLY get stuff moved quickly.

And quickly moved they were. Kerry received the paperwork for ALL of his gallentry and wound awards within a three-week period, and that INCLUDED the time it took to do the deeds. Remember, the Dec 68 Purple Heart was the LAST one awarded, and that was a paperwork shellgame done outside of the unit, as far as I can see.

Remember Thurlow didn't receive his BSM for the 13 Mar 69 incident until AFTER he was out of the Navy? How many months was that? And how quickly did Kerry get his PH paperwork handled for the same incident?

Apparently fast enough to get his young butt out of Dodge most ricky-tick, eh?

Needless to say, this is all blue-sky speculation. However, the premise of the thread was hypothetical in nature.

I do NOT believe it was the doing of anyone in Kerry's chain of command. That runs against the grain so much, it's just not likely.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92

Last edited by cipher on Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
highwayman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
His old man knew people.

close to the same thing, good example in how money can buy you out of most anything is oj simpson, i saw an interview after the case was over that the prosacution said (don't remember who it was) that they had convictions on less evidence then what they had against simpson.
voltaire
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officers do not tend to question the word/actions of other officers. Honor system.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Officers do not tend to question the word/actions of other officers. Honor system.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't account for being able to effectively game the system in 21 days.

To do that, you need ENLISTED help. Or personnel officers.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I also think it required the services of a well-placed "insider" somewhere in Kerry's immediate chain-of-command to have coached and facilitated the remarkable chain of events that resulted in Kerry getting those 3 PHs and two medals in such a short time.

Maybe my words should have been "..."insider" associated with Kerry's immediate chain-of-command..."

For all this to have happened so quickly, it seems to me that the coaching factor had to have been present, which doesn't strike me as something that an enlisted man could do - especially when you consider Kerry's egotistical (Narcisstic?) personality. For Kerry to have pulled this off he must have known about the three-and-out rule from the get-go, and developed his game plan accordingly. Then when I think about what I've read in these forums about which after action reports got filed, and by who, and which ones his awards were based on... - it just all seems to me to be too coincidental and loaded in his favor not to have been "engineered" by someone who was capable. (But I wasn't there, and I admit I do not fully understand how that part of the Navy worked.)

I certainly would agree that he probably had beneficial help back at the Navy Annex as well
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else at the same location, in the chain of paperwork, got out at the same time as he? or out earlier than would be expected? Anybody check the records of others that are not so obvious at first glance to be helpful to him but who would have had access to paper work? If this hypothesis is to be tested, there had to be someone who would benefit personally... follow the money but in Viet Nam maybe it was follow the fast track out.
CTW

Never Ever kerry
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are pictures of young Kerry with the Kennedy's. Yes, Kerry's father clearly knew people. How did he get that Admiral's aide job after he left Vietnam?

Another poster was also right that officers tend to trust each other on an honor system. I'm having trouble finding the references right now, but Kerry did manage to make some friends among his peers, and it has been insinuated that some (like maybe Rassmann) shared Kerry's anti-war feelings. They might have helped each other a bit. NavyChief has posted extensively about Ltjg Rood writing certain reports, and all these years later he has written an op-ed piece in support of Kerry. It seems to me that with the just a little help from some peer friends, Kerry wouldn't have needed a mentor in his chain of command, or to have cultivated enlisted help, to get those medals as fast as he did. If two young officers agree, then the story carries weight. If the other guys have doubts about Kerry's stories, but don't say anything, then Kerry's stories also stand just the same.

I think Kerry is more of an opportunist than a strategist. I suspect he had help at some times in the Navy, but that Vietnam was a bit far for that help to reach. I think he's a guy that acts boldly when frightened...at once showing both a disregard for the life of others, and also filing reports that bend the truth to cover his arse.

I know that people in this forum despised Hackworth's column on the SBVfT, but this thread proves Hackworth right in the only valid criticism of the Swifties to date...that the Swifties revelations are an embarrassment to the Navy. The dangers of electing Kerry clearly outweigh the embarrassment, but it's a consideration nontheless. It's sad that Kerry could perpetrate a fraud on the Navy and bring us to the point of having to suspect others like this.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who else at the same location, in the chain of paperwork, got out at the same time as he? or out earlier than would be expected?

Worth checking (and easiest to check), but don't hold your breath.

Remember these were the LBJ years. There was no more accomplished artist of "scratch my back..." (quid pro quo) than LBJ and his crew. I'm not suggesting that LBJ was directly in on this (though that possibility cannot be discounted). It is a fact that LBJ badly needed support from the Kennedy crowd where relations were strained, and that LBJ had a whole staff trained in political favor dispensation (all Presidents do, but none more so than LBJ).

But bottom line, the fundamental questions remain: How did Kerry do that? How did he know what to do? And how was he so successful in doing it?
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: How, example, Reply with quote

We had this "clerk" from Mass. he sat around the FOB doing this and
that, E-5 , Navy, ? mos, but he was lots of fun, had a :russian/check
type name, any how afther about 4 months we wer haveing a beer with
him and one thing lead to another, "hey komorski, why don't you have to
go on these ###% missions, he say, hell next time I go for supplys at
DaNang , you ride down with me and I'll show you. At personel office
he ask for and gets his personal file, first thing in folder, big red card

black letters "poticial influence"

good old lbj

he said , my family is in city politicks in Boston and this stuff over here
will be good for my family.
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on that "1 more captins mast". I was in Nuke prototype training in Windsor, CT with Jack Carter. Yes, dope smokin' son of your friend and mine Jimmy. Jimmy was a senator at the time, Jimmy was also a Nuke officer and a screwed up President. Jimmy let the Shah of Iran go down. The Shah was not a saint, but pro-western and wanted to move Iran to a pro-western economy. The Shah was certainly better than Kohmeni’s crowd when the Shah was overthrown. IMHO Jimmy is why we've been in the Mideast fighting the Arabs twice now with at least 1 or 2 more necessary dictator throw-downs needed (Iran followed by Syria). Not a pleasant thought but the consequences of not acting could prove. . . .

Anyhow, back to Jack the Hack. Jack had a red personal jacket with black diagonal stripes and US Congress or Senator sticker across front of jacket.
As God is my witness.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry worked on the 1966 Senate Campaign of Ted (how long can you tread water) Kennedy. He was also an associate of the Kennedy Family. There are pictures of a young Kerry sailing wit JFK in the late 50s of early 60s. Kennedy was also instrumental in setting up the testamony at the Fullbright COmmission hearings. Pictures of Kennedy meeting with Kerry at the demonstrations in Washington.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: