SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kerry's Shipmate"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: "Kerry's Shipmate" Reply with quote

Here's a column on interviews of several of Kerry's "Gridley" shipmates. While featuring a Kerry supporter (Ernie Fleming) as the centerpiece, the writer does document an anti-Kerry sentiment among the crew that was interviewed. Towards the end of the column he offers...

Matthew E. Milliken wrote:
Of six Gridley officers and crew contacted for this article, only Fleming said he supports Kerry. Onorato would not make any comment about his former roommate's presidential bid and one man refused to speak for the record. The other three oppose the Massachusetts senator. Carter said he personally knows at least one Gridley alumnus who does support Kerry.

IMO, with a bit more knowledge on the subject of John Kerry, Mr. Milliken would have been able to impeach Mr. Fleming's credibility when examining his anecdotal recollections of his conversations with Kerry on the Gridley. Here's the first part of Mr. Milliken's column...and, hopefully, this august forum will quickly spot some "peculiarities" in Mr. Fleming's recollections...

Quote:
Kerry's Shipmate
By MATTHEW E. MILLIKEN
Daily Dispatch Writer
Henderson Daily Dispatch

When Ernie Fleming was in the Navy in 1968, he didn't get any say in who ran things on his ship. But when he votes for commander-in-chief next month, the Ridgeway resident plans to choose the man who was his boss back then: John Kerry.

In 1968, Fleming was on the guided-missile frigate Gridley, which cruised off Vietnam to help pilots who had to bail out at sea. A 21-year-old enlisted man, Fleming was assigned to the ship's First Division, which was responsible for handling lines and anchors and maintaining the deck and everything on it. The man in charge of the division was a 24-year-old officer who would go on to become a senator from Massachusetts and is now the Democratic nominee for president.

The Gridley's First Division contained about 30 men. Kerry was also the ship's public affairs officer, and he and Fleming were on the staff of the ship's cruisebook - the naval version of a school yearbook.

"I found him a person of strong character," said Fleming, now 57. "He was a very fair and honest person. I never had any problem with him telling me one thing and then doing something else."

Fleming remembers Kerry as a competent officer who was well-liked by the crew, a recollection shared by others who served on Gridley at the time.

The two men didn't fraternize, in keeping with military tradition. But Seaman Fleming expressed his surprise to Kerry when he learned that the officer had volunteered for duty on river boats.

"When I found out that he had put in for them, I know that I couldn't help myself" from speaking out, Fleming said.

"I thought that was madness, running up and down a river wanting people to shoot at you."

Fleming remembers asking the officer why he had put in for the hazardous assignment. "I've got to do something," Kerry replied.

The Henderson Daily Dispatch - con't
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like the inconvenient fact that at the time Kerry put in for Swift Boat duty they were doing coastal patrol and not running up and down rivers getting shot at?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your letter in the mail yet hammer? Be gentle Wink
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I gotta get some shuteye. Give me his email address and I'll roast him tomorrow! Twisted Evil
Tim
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
Geez, I gotta get some shuteye. Give me his email address and I'll roast him tomorrow! Twisted Evil
Tim

Actually, I'm not sure a "roasting" is appropriate. I think a gentle nudge might win him over Wink

Quote:
The writer can be reached at mmilliken@hendersondispatch.com
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it will be a slow roasting, rather than a broiling. Wink
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Gridley Stuff Reply with quote

I am the "Carter" mentioned in the article. If you want my opinions on the GRIDLEY material in TOUR OF DUTY, you can go to www.ussgridley.com and link over to the Kerry Page. I spoke to the reporter several times at length. Now I want to find the article to see how much of it he used. Most was negative.

Fleming was in 1st Div during the period Kerry was 1st Lieut. I have been told they called him Lurch! He also worked on the cruisebook staff for the 68 cruise.
MikeM
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcarter says:

Quote:
A reporter from the Chicago Tribune actually asked me that. When I told him that he was just another goofy Ensign, he was horrified and did not use that quote.

goofy Ensign.....how appropriate! Laughing
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridley Stuff Reply with quote

pwcarter wrote:
I spoke to the reporter several times at length. Now I want to find the article to see how much of it he used. Most was negative.

I can't wait to see the differences between what you told them and what they actually printed.

Thanks for your web page!
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoke to a Rear Admiral and a couple of four stripers and they agreed with my assessment that almost all Ensigns are goofy. Kerry tries to make himself out as Master and Commander of the South China Sea but he wasn't. According to his own Fitness Reports on his campaign site he did not qualify for OD until after GRIDLEY left the combat zone.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assigned to USS REEVES, which as in the same class as the Gridley, some time before Kerry made his illustrious appearance. Frankly, I'm surprised Kerry was assigned the job of 1st Lieutenant as an Ensign. On the Reeves - a fairly large ship - it was SOP for the 1st LT to be a JG, with an Ensign as assistant (basically, in training).

Yes, at that time, and on a large ship like the Reeves and Gridley, a new Ensign was made to understand he was - as the phrase goes - lower than whale s**t.

Accordingly I'm somewhat flabbergasted with his XO's comments.
tugboatphil
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ship was USS Jouett (DLG/CG-29) same hull as Gridley, but had a 5" mount aft instead of missile launcher. I was a lowly, non-rated, deck seaman. I knew we HAD an officer that was 1st Lt, but never who he was for any length of time. The Chief and BM1 ran the division. The duties of 1st Lt on our ship were very limited. If a junior officer was samrt, he'd LET the Chief run things while he concentrated on getting his watchstanding quals completed.

We were part of The weapons dept, and lowest on the totem pole. Most of my fellow seamen did not socialize with the officers, not only because of fraternization policies, but to do so would label you a brown-noser...and might also get you a mid-watch trip to the Bos'n Locker. For the laymen, that means you might fall UP a ladder.

So this guy was a deck seaman, AND on the cruisebook staff. Nuff said.

Don't Sweat the Mule Goin' Blind,
Just Keep Loadin' the Wagon.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So this guy was a deck seaman, AND on the cruisebook staff.

A cheerleader AND on the yearbook committee? Oh, be still my heart!
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have to wonder if John F-ing Kerry was introduced to a sea bat. Considering his elite attitude, I would love to have enlightened him. Twisted Evil
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, having once asked a poster on another board, (in my complete ignorance) "What's a dickfer?" I am now rather leery of even asking, but, "What's a sea bat?"

(I just know I'm going to have a DOH! moment when I hear. Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: