SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Kerry Helper In Acadmia Looking To Hurt The Troops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Another Kerry Helper In Acadmia Looking To Hurt The Troops Reply with quote

Professor Sues U.S. for Coffin Photos
Tuesday, October 05, 2004

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134505,00.html

WASHINGTON — A journalism professor sued the government Monday to force the Defense Department to release pictures of flag-draped coffins of soldiers arriving in the United States from wars overseas.

Ralph Begleiter (Deleted by Admin), a professor at the University of Delaware and a former world affairs correspondent for CNN, filed suit under the Freedom of Information Act (search) for the release of government photos and video of coffins arriving at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

The Pentagon has refused to release those photos, saying it has begun enforcing a policy installed in 1991 intended to respect the privacy of the families of the dead soldiers.

Critics counter the government is trying to hide the human cost of the war from the public.

"They're public records," Begleiter's attorney, Daniel Mach, said in a telephone interview. "This is about the public's right to know the implications of U.S. foreign policy and to assess the price of war."

Begleiter's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, lists the Defense Department and the Air Force as defendants. A Pentagon spokeswoman declined comment on the lawsuit.

Last April, the Air Force released scores of photos taken at Dover in response to a FOIA request. The pictures include shots of the some of the coffins of the astronauts who died last year on the space shuttle Columbia. The Pentagon later called that release a mistake.

Begleiter filed a FOIA request and the Pentagon has acknowledged receiving it but has not responded further, Mach said. The lack of response enables Begleiter to sue, he said

Admin note: Please refrain from posting e-mail addresses of private individuals in the forum. Thanks
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the supplied email address to let it know how I feel

(Deleted by Admin)

Admin note: Please refrain from posting e-mail addresses of private individuals in the forum. Thanks
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please pay no heed to yet another "pseudo" Academic who despises America. These sub human creatures scurry away like vermin whenever they are called on the carpet about their motivations. I cannot understand this slimeball's motivation is. Why would anyone want to view coffins of our glorious War dead?
Much greater men than myself made the ultimate sacrifice on the altar of liberty. Just because it is anothers person's freedom and liberty at stake does not make the cause less important. No matter how hard domestic and foriegners try to stop the cause of liberty and freedom. It will overwhelm them in their utterly futile attempts to stop it. They will end up in the ash bin of history along with dictators and tyrants alike.

Some quotes

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.
George Washington

I would rather belong to a poor nation that was free than to a rich nation that had ceased to be in love with liberty.
Author: Woodrow Wilson
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply to the educrat

Every one of the coffins draped with an American flag represents the sacrifice of freedom. The jihad indoctrinated insurgent combatants are programmed to kill the infidels. In their mind you are an infidel and if they die in the process of killing you they are rewarded with an eternal supply of virgins. If the jihad terrorists didn’t have Iraq to go get their eternal reward of endless virgins they would be seeking out infidels some where else in the world and the infidels they might target might be in the building where you work. And yes the jihad terrorists are putting themselves in the gun sites of our troops and yes over 1000 of our troops have been sacrificed. However in all sincerity I believe if it wasn’t for the sacrifice of our troops we would have buried tens if not hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians buy now and one of them could very well be you.

So with all this being said. Why do you want images of sacrificed Americans? Is it to use their sacrifice for political purposes? Or is it that you want to honor the sacrifice that has paid for yours and mine freedom. Given the track record of the educrats tearing down the troops like you did during the cold war I think your intentions are to bring dishonor rather then honor to their sacrifice.

Senior Airman
USAF 75-79
Strategic Air Command – “Peace is our Profession”

PS – If we would have stood down from the soviets during the cold war. Do you believe that you would even be allowed to speak and write the things you do today?

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a clip of his bio from the UoD. He is not a "real" professor in the sense that he would be expected to have a Ph.D. He has a M.S. in journalism.

You can review his classes etc. at http://www.udel.edu/communication/COMM418/begleite/beglhome/beglbio.htm

Quote:
Ralph Begleiter is the University of Delaware's "Distinguished Journalist in Residence," teaching Communication, Political Science and Journalism. He joined the faculty in July, 1999, bringing more than 30 years of broadcast journalism experience to classrooms for students interested in international affairs and broadcast journalism. [Wilmington News Journal 6/19/2000] He directs the university's "Global Agenda" speaker series on international issues.

Ralph Begleiter
He holds an Honors B.A. in political science from Brown University, an M.S. in Journalism from Columbia University, and is a member of the National Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa. He is a Trustee of Brown University and an adviser to the university's public affairs offices, and to the alumni magazine. In November 2000, editors of the Brown Alumni Magazine named him among the 100 alumni who have had "greatest impact... on the twentieth century."

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My educrat comments still stand.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ralph Begleiter
He holds an Honors B.A. in political science from Brown University, an M.S. in Journalism from Columbia University, and is a member of the National Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa.

I thought you needed a Phd to teach at the university level? As usual the norms don't apply to lefties.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need necessarily need a Ph.D. to teach at the university level. It has nothing to do with left or right, so give it a rest.

I teach at Louisiana State University. I have a master's degree. Mind you, I am an instructor, not an assistant/associate/full professor, and I do not and will never have tenure.
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense You gotta be kidding. I was assuming to be a full professor you needed a Phd. I know there are many master level instructors.

Secondly, I will not give anyting a rest when it comes to defending America against people that hate it like Mr. Begleiter. As soon as one of us stops fighting and countering the America haters, we as citizens will soon see this great country of ours fall much like ancient Rome.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I offended, but I have an expectation that a doctorate is required to be called Professor. I realize that the term has been downgraded in recent years (decades) to include any instructor. Having taught at several universities, in the roles of TA, TF, Postdoc etc., I understand that the general understanding it "any member of the faculty."

No tenure here either.........

It still does not distract from the issue that he is doing it to damage the President, and by extension, help Kerry.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk Forum

Thanks
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Description of degrees Begleiter can/could hold:

BS=(fill in the blanks)
MS=More of the Same
PhD=Piled Higher and Deeper

And this is what teaches our young citizens? Oy, vey!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where y'all's experience is, but the only professors at LSU who don't have Ph.D.s are very old and date back to a time when a Ph.D. was not required.

My "give it a rest" comment had to do with blaming something you don't approve of (in this case, a professor who does not have a Ph.D.) on liberals. I think you misread my statement.

I also note that the article refers to him as a professor, but his bio refers to him as "Journalist in Residence". I don't know if that means anything. You know how newspaper articles can be...

I'm surprised that he has an M.S. in journalism. I'd have thought that journalism would be an M.A., not s, since journalism is definitely NOT a science.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: