SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry stripped of security clearance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BienHoa69-70
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Kerry stripped of security clearance? Reply with quote

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1243912/posts
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is significant.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link to a post by me on some interesting things about Kerry's security clearence:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=84626#84626

Hammer2 wrote:
Guys, here is something I haven't seen discussed yet.
Kerry's website contains forms for his security clearence.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Security_Clearances.pdf

These consist of:

2ea. - OPNAV Form 5521-429 (REV. 12-62)
2ea. - Partial form DD 98

Here is what is interesting:

1. Both DD 98's are missing page 2 - the form is no longer listed by DoD, but it is a questionaire for a background investigation for security clearence.

2. The first DD 98 is dated FEB 18 1966 - at the time of Kerry's enlistment.

3. The second DD98 is dated Oct 29 1965 - 4 months before Kerry's enlistment.

4. The first Form 5521-429 shows the background investigation was completed on 8 March 1966 by NCISC NAC with a final clearence of SECRET granted on 18 December 1966. This clearence was issued at the NOCS school to ENSIGN Kerry.

5. The second Form 5521-429 shows the background investigation was completed on 11 October 1967 by ONI with a final clearence of SECRET granted 11 December 1968. Ref (b.) Seems to indicate the request for clearence originated from the OPNAV Form 5521-1 by the CO, Gridley on 26 July 1967 with an ONI stamped endorsement. The final clearence was issued by Commander, Coastal Division 11 and signed by G. M. Elliott.

Now, here are the questions that these forms pose:

1. Why 2 DD 98's? Why is one dated 4 months before Kerry's enlistment and the other at the time of his enlistment? Could this indicate an aborted enlistment attempt in October, 1965?

2. The first Form 5521-429 is consistent with Kerry's enlistment in Feburary, 1966 and his SECRET clearance is issued about 10 months later.

3. The second Form 5521-429 is redundant, Kerry already has SECRET clearence. Why do it again? Did he lose his clearence? Why?

4. The time delay from when the OPNAV Form 5521-1 was done on the Gridley to when the second background check was completed on 11 October 1967 was 3 months, but the second Form 5521-429 is not issued until 11 December 1968 - 14 months later! If you assume a ONI check was completed on the Gridley since the Form 5521-1 is noted as having ONI stamped endorsement thereon, where then is the 3rd DD 98 to initiate the ONI investigation or is it replaced by the OPNAV Form 5521-1? Where is the OPNAV Form 5521-1 from the Gridley? The second Form 5521-429 is issued by Elliott on 11 December 1968, probably just after Kerry arrived after completing his training in California. Who then initiated the 3rd ONI background check completed on 11 October 1967 while Kerry was on the Gridley and why? I must assume the 14 month gap until Eliott issues the second Form 5521-429 is due to Kerry finishing his duty on the Gridley in June, then going to to the Swift Boat School in the interim time period.
I'm not sure what all this means, but here again we have a strange sequence of documents, missing documents, an odd second issuance of the same security clearance, and another missing document.

I think I just answered my own questions about the OPNAV Form 5521-1.

Here is a link to 2 documents from Kerry's site:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Background_Information.pdf

Look at the second document. It is identified as a NAV Form 5510-397 (REV. 7-58 ) not an OPNAV Form 5521-1, but it is consistent with the information in Ref. (b) of the second OPNAV Form 5521-429 and was requested by CO, Gridley. So we know who, but we don't know why. I thought it might have had something to do with his Nuclear Training School, but that was in May, 1967 - before the background check was initiated.

Anyone think all this is significant?

We have all been obsessed with the spot reports, AAR's, Medal citations, DD214's etc, but look what came out of just 4 ordinary forms to get him a security clearance.

It seems he has had problems with his security clearence!
KWJams
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related -- but unconfirmed story breaking on free reublic:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1243912/posts?q=1&&page=1#1

Quote:

Navy Stripped Kerry Of Security Clearance!!!!!! Unauthorized Contacts With Enemy Agents!
DC Reporter | DC Reporter / MB26

Posted on 10/13/2004 10:48:00 AM MDT by MindBender26

Kerry Lost Security Clearance!

Just spoke with reporter friend in DC. She is talking with former USN ONI types who worked on DOD/USN investigation that resulted in total loss of Kerry’s Navy security clearance.

Kerry had been granted a Top Secret by the Navy on October 11, 1967 based on a routine background investigation by Office of Naval Intelligence. A top secret clearance was required for his work at that time.

Obtaining and holding a security clearance of any level, especially TS or above, requires certain terms, obligations, commitments and conditions from the holder. One of the most important is the holder of the clearance must promptly and fully any contacts with any foreign officials, agents, etc.

Lieutenant Kerry left active duty with the Navy on January 3, 1970, but he still carried those obligations as a commissioned officer of the Naval Reserve. Without telling anyone and without receiving permission from superiors,FBI or counter-intelligence officers, he traveled to Paris in the summer of 1970. He claimed the purpose of his trip was a honeymoon with his first wife, Julia Thorne, but there was another hidden purpose.

Numerous North Vietnamese and Viet Cong intelligence agents and officials were in Paris, having arrived a year earlier for the “Peace Talks.” While in Paris, Kerry met with agents on a number of occasions and had extensive discussions with them about U.S. plans, procedures and how to get the U.S. to essentially surrender in Vietnam.

These clandestine meetings were never reported to the Navy.

Almost a year later, in April 1091, speaking as the leader of the Vietnam Veterans Against The War, Lieutenant Kerry told a Senate hearing about his meetings with enemy agents. Senior DOD officials wanted to prosecute him as a Naval Reserve officer for violating a number of laws and regulations, but this was vetoed by the Nixon White House. They didn’t want to give the anti-war crowd any additional PR ammunition.

However, the Navy immediately pulled Kerry’s security clearance. He became a Naval Reserve officer who was known not to be trusted. He kept his commission, but lost all access to any classified information. In the words of one of the now-retired agents, “Lieutenant Kerry wasn’t cleared to know what time it was!”

The bottom line is, Kerry was on the Intelligence Committee of the Senate after the Paris fiasco and another trip to support the Moscow-backed Sandinistas in Nicaragua.

Today, he couldn’t get a security clearance to pull KP duty, but he wants to be Commander in Chief of all our military in the War on Terrorism!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was thinking - and then received a 'less than honorable' discharge. hmmm.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not so bad...

1. The forms are standard in an enlistment packet. Since Kerry was "enlisting" the first form would be filled in.

2. Upon enlisting Kerry was bumped to OCS, another BI would ensue as a standard part of the package.

The actual forms are the same for secret and top-secret; the only difference being in what is required to be filled in so some pages may have been either stripped out due to being blank.

If memory serves, clearances were not issued service wide, but at the command level, based on duties etc. Upon reporting to a new unit a review would be made and local clearance issued. If there was paperwork missing, then again, a BI would be started - not an unusual situation to lose or have the paperwork misfiled. Once detached from the command, the clearance would be withdrawn (except in a TDY status).

The differences in investigations between a secret and top-secret are pretty extensive and manpower intensive. A temporary clearance could be issued where needed BUT the paperwork for a final would have to have been started. Once completed, the temporary would be cancelled and a final clearance issued - yep, another form.

TS clearances require timely review - usually 4-5 years or less and that's not including any SC type requirements. As a deck officer Kerry may have been required to access compartmented info, depending on the mission etc.

So, the multiple forms and requests for investigation are not that unusual. Sort of typifies the SNAFU's that occur when someone bounces between units as often as Kerry seemed to.
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer Smile

I seem to remember I was BG check refreshed prior to tech school, and then again prior to overseas...I was told that was normal refresh, and I think I was checked a couple of other times. I seem to remember being told that this was typical for a lot of career fields...It is quite possible that I am not remembering this correctly-it's a blurry recollection...I do not have those records...heck, I even have suspicions that I was checked out at times after separation/discharge...

Heck, I think goophydog just confirmed while I was entering that reply...
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
The actual forms are the same for secret and top-secret; the only difference being in what is required to be filled in so some pages may have been either stripped out due to being blank.

Maybe so, but it seems odd that only 1 out of 4 pages on each form is missing. Does anyone have a source for a complete DD98?

GoophyDog wrote:
If memory serves, clearances were not issued service wide, but at the command level, based on duties etc. Upon reporting to a new unit a review would be made and local clearance issued. If there was paperwork missing, then again, a BI would be started - not an unusual situation to lose or have the paperwork misfiled. Once detached from the command, the clearance would be withdrawn (except in a TDY status).

Makes sense in view of him departing the Gridley for Swift Boat school, then deployment to SEA. You raise some more points here. First, if the SC is command specific, then his clearence would have been withdrawn on leaving SEA. Second, is there paperwork issued to withdraw a SC? If so what and where is it? Finally, if his SC was withdrawn, it could not be the basis of the story 2 years later in 1971 - right?

GoophyDog wrote:
TS clearances require timely review - usually 4-5 years or less and that's not including any SC type requirements. As a deck officer Kerry may have been required to access compartmented info, depending on the mission etc.

No records are on Kerry's site indicating clearence above SECRET.

GoophyDog wrote:
So, the multiple forms and requests for investigation are not that unusual. Sort of typifies the SNAFU's that occur when someone bounces between units as often as Kerry seemed to.

I would normally agree with you, but Kerry seems to be a special case in his own little universe of "Records"
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a previous post.

SBD wrote:
Take a look at his Security Clearance and in particular look at questions 1 and 2.
http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Security_Clearances.pdf

Notice how it leaves the impression that both could have been marked. One box completely colored in, the other one with a check mark. Ordinarily this would be noted as just a mistake but it happens not once, but twice. Same questions but the second one has all of the answers marked with a typed X except 1 and 2.

Question: Why does Kerry need a Top Secret Security Clearance?
Question: Did others in similar positions have this same clearance?

Why does the document say undated toward the center of the doc?

SBD

Maybe this has something to do with why it was revoked?

SBD
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD,
Just to clear it up for you, this form comes with the no block filled in. It means that the respondant cannot answer no to the question, he must agree that he has read the list of groups and certifies he has not been a member of any of them.
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Need to substantiate carefully Reply with quote

Important to stick to verifiable claims, because fraudulent claims can backfire. Did Kerry have Top Secret clearance, and would he have needed a security clearance that high? Was it revoked, and if so, was it simply because he was no longer active duty, or because of conduct after he returned from Vietnam?

Again, this would be potentially very relevant for the campaign to keep Kerry out of the oval office, if it can be substantiated properly.
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who has carried that type of clearance for almost 20 years, I can tell you that I would not find it surprising at all that a jr. naval officer that commanded a vessel would have a TS.

I can also tell you that the way the government grants and pulls such a clearance changes often, and that the buearocracy involved can be stifling.

I don't know about then, but in today's world, the clearance (not the in-force background investigation) is attached at the hip to a billet. In other words, you may be eligible by investigation to hold a TS billet, but you may not be assigned to a TS billet. In that case, you would be debriefed and sign away your clearance if your previous assignment was a TS billet. If you came back into a TS billet after being in a non-TS billet, and your back ground investigation was still in force, they simply re-inbrief you.

This would be a very difficult dog to chase through the bryers. I've been "out-briefed" in between assignments, where I "lost" my clearance, just to be "in-briefed" and re-sign my non-disclosures and all of that when I arrived at my new station.

So you can say that I've technically "lost" my TS probably five or six times. Nowadays, you can transfer "in-status", but that is a fairly recent thing.

Then again, you can be suspended for cause as well.

reconflyer
Largebill
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Clearances Reply with quote

Having been involved with clearances and having been in recruiting, I think some of this is explainable. When someone enlists normally only the most basic background check is conducted (National Agency Check). If a Sailor gets sent to a school which would most likely result in requirement to handle TS material then a BI or SBI is initiated. An officer candidate almost always undergoes at least a standard BI. Once a BI has been satisfactorily conducted you are eligible for a clearance. You don't actually have the clearance until your command determines you need it in the performance of your duties. An Ensign report to a ship and is given duties as DCA (Damage Control Assistant) clearance wouldn't be required. However, in performance of duties as JOOD he needs access to classified publications. That is pretty basic to every new officer to a ship. Now after a year he is reassigned as COMMO and they upgrade his clearance and grant access to Top Secret. Once someone had a clearance they used to retain it until revoked or administratively removed for reassignment to duties not requiring a clearance.
rlgoodin
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Wishfull thinking Reply with quote

I was researching the possibility of getting a secret clearance in an effort to get a better job. The good ole USA takes about 18 months to clear an American citizen. You have to be hired by a company that needs one before the clearance can be granted. This means if a company decides to hire you, it must pay you for about 18 months before you can work in any meaningfull capacity. It is a barrier to employment, that punishes the government with more expensive labor rates and limited skill sets.

Too bad, Canada takes only 3 months for a clearance. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: