SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New Voice Asking About Kerry Post Nam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m_drummond
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: A New Voice Asking About Kerry Post Nam Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been posted. Just found it myself. Not exactly a household name, but hey, anyone can join the effort.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=71381&section=Opinion
________
Amateur Striptease

Last edited by m_drummond on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bean Counter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the Naval Reserve either had you for 4 yrs active and 2 yrs Inactive (no Drill, just let us know your address) or 2 yrs active and 4 yrs of drill. I realize that we don't have a specific document that links Kerry to this - but I thought JFnK's non-drill status was very common.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean Counter wrote:
I thought that the Naval Reserve either had you for 4 yrs active and 2 yrs Inactive (no Drill, just let us know your address) or 2 yrs active and 4 yrs of drill. I realize that we don't have a specific document that links Kerry to this - but I thought JFnK's non-drill status was very common.

Maybe so, but illegally negotiating with the enemy wasn't.
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enlisted active duty is four years active 2 years inactive (no drilling)

If you join the reserves as Kerry did I do not know what his obligation was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the reserve policy had some flexibility in it on a case by case basis. I served 1 year active, 6 years drill, 2 years active and 2 years drill and I have friends who served 3A & 3D and 2A & 4D. So almost anything in the way of a mix was possible.
m_drummond
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me its not important if drilling was required or not. The issue is keeping the focus on Kerry and pumping up the volume. I'll take anything I can get.
________
Pissing Public

Last edited by m_drummond on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it ok to email that letter to some of the news media? I couldn't find a way to ask this question at the site.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Only about 15% of officers coming off of "Extended Acti Reply with quote

My experience at two local Naval Reserve Centers was that if an officer had 2+ years of active duty - there was no requirement to drill (if you didn't drill it might keep you from making SelRes LCDR).

At the two local Reserve Centers only about 15% of the officers getting off of active duty affiliated with a drilling unit.

We had one real "hippie" LT who was frankly in it for the drill pay - he was a PhD candidate and needed the money; in fact with drill pay and the GI Bill and a minimal Teaching Assistantship - you didn't have to borrow to get through grad school.

But about 85% never affiliated with the SelRes.

About Kerry going to Paris to negotiate with the VC - the UCMJ only attaches during drill. We had a kid who was dealing drugs during the week - but not during drill and not at the ResCen - and the JAG Corps guys said "No jurisdiction."

By about '72-'73 the whole Reserve Admin shop was pretty sloppy. Ghosts showed up on the RUPPERT who never drilled - and it was impossible to drop them from the RUPPERT. (This was before the credit cards).

Also, unless you had a really hard nosed CO-XO-Admin Chief- CMAA team there was really no bullet proof way to know if the signatures on the RUPPERT were for real. That was a reason that we went to the credit with eye ball accountability.

IMHO - in the early 70's the Reserves and Guard were not really mobilizable to do what these kids are doing now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: