SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

censorship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: censorship? Reply with quote

During WWII, was the news officially censored? By law, I mean -- or did the media just have a 'gentlemen's agreement' to support the war and the president? I'm curious. I remember as a child being taught both by my parents and in school that during wartime the population always supports the president and the troops! I think it's about time for a law in congress that puts some kind of muzzle on the negative press during wartime. I'm sick of hearing all their lies. They are not just detrimental to our President, our CIC, but to our troops and to our war effort.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The War Department censored a LOT of stuff - whether by agreement or by law, I don't know.

I do know that Hollywood threw its efforts and energy into making blockbuster movies and newsreels about the wars we were winning.

Hollywood was an advocate for American interests, back then.

If a shred of that remains, I sure don't see it.

ONE movie about Vietnam in all this time that wasn't an anti-war, anti-American, anti-military piece of crap?

Out of the dozens that were made?
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I recall was "Then Green Barets" with John Wayne.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Green Berets wasn't one of the Dukes better efforts. However, he did make an attempt to show Vietnam as an important fight, which I always felt it was.

Since then, every movie I can think of either shows the Vietnam vet as a weirded out Rambo type, ready to unleash havoc on small unsuspecting towns that refuse to let him eat lunch or pitiful wrecks struggling to outlive the nightmares inflicted upon them by an evil government. Others seem to use Vietnam as a backdrop to sinister military people, such as Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Casualties of War and such.

Some other efforts have shown veterans to be maladjusted and deranged creatures that are ready to explode and harm those around them, such as Cease Fire and Distant Thunder. These didn’t receive the notoriety that others as The Deer Hunter did, but the subject was pretty much the same.

Still others tried to approach it in a light of humor, Good Morning, Vietnam and Air America, but still didn’t show the spirit of the majority of the American military sent there, until We Were Soldiers came along.

Hollywood showed us what they thought of that too by all but killing it in reviews. Guess it just didn’t fit the stereotype all have come to expect that John Kerry testified too.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some differences between WWII and Vietnam (and now):

The WWII war effort was led by a Democratic Administration.

Actors and actresses, and the whole Hollywood machine, did not consider, nor did the public attritube to them, that they were the Intellectual Elite.

The country was still struggling to come out of the Great Depression; people were accustomed to sacrifice for the common good.

We were allied with "Uncle Joe."

and there are probably others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: