SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Department of Veterans Affairs Deliver to Iraq Veterans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Can Department of Veterans Affairs Deliver to Iraq Veterans? Reply with quote

President Bush deserves much credit for increasing the budget to support and improve the Department of Veterans Affairs. However from reading the recent press accounts concerns are now raised that veterans including those wounded in Iraq are facing long delays in receiving compensation benefits and health care. I know the compensation process has always been criticized for slow delivery and often questionable practices and decisions. So it looks like the same problems that surfaced during the Vietnam Conflict are still here and could get worse.

While some veterans are satisfied with the service and level of care received from the VA, there needs to be an intensive review to look at alternatives to see if the current system is still viable for the future. If veterans have to wait for months and often one year or more to have a compensation claim processed we need to not only look but fix it. Why have a veteran wait for a long period of time to have an examination when private physicians could perform the exam and testing more promptly?

As for health care the present system should be compared to the system used to provide health care to those receiving Medicare and the Government Health Plan available to Congress and Government employees. Shouldn't veterans have a choice in where and who provides their care? VA has given some veterans this option under what is called "fee basis" but it is often restricted. If this system works well within the VA why souldn't it be expanded? I recall only one service organization Vietnam Veterans of America that has advocated veterans should have a choice. Now with the Iraq war and the number of wounded increasing it is time to seriously review the current system and look at alternatives to ensure that those returning from Iraq receive not just good but the "best" medical care already provided to our members of Congress and Government who have choices.

Are there other choices or options that need to be explored??

JK
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the VA is they will stall and delay as long as they can before giving any rating. It takes years to settle a claim with them and they do their best to act like they are helping you out when they are really trying to screw you. Best to deal with the VA thru a veterans organization, beause if you miss a paper filing of any type it make cost you thousands of dollars with your claim. I'm lucky, one of the Lt's that was in my unit in Nam has his Law degree and he specializes in helping guys from our unit fight the VA.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not doubt that the VA could handle claims better, do not overlook the press wanting to show the VA in a bad light in a guilt by association slam at President Bush in an election year. The MSM has never given two turds about veterans and the military except when it suits them and their agenda.

If their coverage has the effect of making it easier for vets to get their due, then thats all good. But fraudulent reporting is all too common, especially when the press's bias comes into play.
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VA Secretary Anthony Principi is a former Swiftboat Sailor, and a good man. My impression is that the VA has become less adversarial under his watch, but such a large department takes time to change.
It is up to us to help the current group of veterans where we can, and to hold the VA's feet to the fire when we hear of abuses.
Redhawk
CK_Phantom
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up with the VA a while back, need an operation, they assigned me my category and hospital I requested (Lakewood), and sent me back my paperwork in less than 2 weeks (I signed up on the net), I have spoken with reps a couple of times on the phone and they have been exceedingly helpful.

The only negative thing I could say about the experience is that I was told by one of the reps they "only accept 12 new patients a day and the line starts at 0700 so be there by 0645". Now that really isn't negative, I understand that they have to keep things flowing in manageable manner, just seems like the number of allowed daily enrollees is a bit low, but they do have the reputation of being the best in the area, and I am sure that they have to put a cap on it somewhere......

US Army "Cold War" Veteran
Born in the USofA on the 4th of July.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the VAMCs a lot over the years, I am a 70% DAV (Possibly a 100%, waiting for that hearing). I have seen the waiting periods decrease, the red tape move a little faster, but most of all an honest effort by Sec. Principe to make positive changes.
There is much that could and should be improved upon. Making the VA Budget permanent and not Discretionary for starters. An increase in the number of actual MDs at VAMCs (not Student Interns), cutting a lot more of the red Tape and those who live on it.
It is not all up to any President, but the Congress.
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that:
1. The Main Stream Media is stirring the issue up at this time, in an attempt to garner more votes for the Kerry Campaign by attempting to put the Bush Administration in an unwarranted negative light.
2. Today's Iraq War Veterans can rely on OUR backing. Vietnam War Veterans, in demanding that they get the care that many of you did not.(I was never wounded or injured and have never needed VA help) If you think about this issue, we did not have anyone backing us up, upon our return. The American people didn't want to know about Vietnam or the Disabled Veterans after the war was over. As long as we remind the politicians, particularly the Senators and Congressmen at election time, the Iraq War Veterans will not have to suffer the same fate.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: American Legion Reply with quote

The American Legion was VERY helpful when they handled my disability case back in 1969.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I had to retire on disability in '97 I worked
for the VA hospital here. It was right during the
Clinton years when I saw a big shift in the quality of
care. In fact my dad died there in '94, and I can
tell you that I was glad that I could visit him on my
lunch breaks to "fill in" for the shortage of nurses.

Like all beauracracies the VA struggles under a
mass of red tape and standards that are often
ludicrous! But I have heard from some old co-workers
that they see some improvements in how the
'big cogs' are turning. That's good news!

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Principi has been a much needed breath of fresh air for the VA. He has streamlined the award process and, while there are still some problems, tirelessly works to ensure we get the help that we need.

Using POA's like the AMVETS, DAV, VFW, Purple Heart, etc. will only increase your chances of getting faster results. Most of these vet advocates will work diligently to get your case heard and processed. The majority of those that I have met are keenly interested in doing a good job on your behalf and many will go "above and beyond" to help.

Don't believe all the crap that the MSM is handing out about the VA. The majority of it isn't true. Sure, the VA has problems, but what governmental organization doesn't? Ever tried to work with Social Security(It takes 5 months to process a claim for disability and they won't take the VA's word for anything!) or Medicare?? They make the VA seem like childs play....

In short:

Start at the Vet Center, get an advocate, fill out ALL the forms, provide as much background info that you can and be as patient as possible - It will payoff.

We need to educate ourselves and these returning vets so they don't wait 30 yrs. like we did to begin processing a claim. Let's all do our part to help these wonderful troops to live much better lives than we did after Vietnam.

Thanks for letting me rattle on.

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fighting with these A$holes for about 4 years now. My last rating decision MAY of 04 brought me up to 70%. This was a result of an appeal to the BVA in DC. They for some reason are just ignoring the rating and are still paying me at 50%, my rep has now has to file more paper work to get them to pay back pay etc at 70% level because they just refuse to do it.... IMHO they are still broken and the bureauracy and attitude is ingrain at the highest levels. These guys WON'T do right by you trust me you need patience and a no quit attitude because they will definelty string you along and try and discourage you at every turn. This has been my experience with the left coast LA VA anyways.
On the other hand the goverment basically pays illegals to come into the country.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: