SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How John McCain Hurt the Bush Campaign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: How John McCain Hurt the Bush Campaign Reply with quote

I have just doubled my previous financial contributions to the Swiftees, in the hope that the SBVT ads will help restore George Bush's electoral momentum.

It was the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that broke the electoral logjam, giving Bush crucial momentum just prior to the Republican convention in NYC. Sadly, perhaps tragically for Bush, John McCain's "dishonest and dishonorable" (I use the words he directed at the SBVT group) dismissal of the Swiftees' allegations made it difficult, if not impossible, for Bush to hit Kerry hard on the character issue -- specifically on Kerry's service record and his post-Vietnam activities with the radical Leftwing anti-war group he helped to found. In fact, Bush added to the damage done by McCain when he periodically said that Kerry's service to the country has been "honorable." This was a terrible mistake. Nor was this "genteel" approach to Kerry's character problems reciprocated in kind by the DNC, as we saw with Kerry's efforts to make Bush's guard service an issue. McCain, tragically, was corrupted by a Senatorial friendship. I believe people must take responsibility for their actions. And the way to repay John McCain's disservice to the Swiftees and, yes, his disservice to the Bush campaign, is to organize to remove him from the Senate in the next primary contest in Arizona.

Because of the Bush camp's decision to leave Kerry's anti-war activities and past alone, they gave up a very important weapon in the electoral arsenal -- the matter of Kerry's suitability to serve as Commander in Chief, given his record of betrayal of the Vietnam Vets.

Hopefully the continued advertising campaign of the Swiftees can repair this damage done by McCain (and Bush to himself). That is why I have upped my contribution. May others join me in this noble and patriotic enterprise. It will be a terrible day of shame for America should Kerry be elected.

Last edited by Truegrit on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: McCain May Have Cost Bush Election Reply with quote

Truegrit wrote:
...I believe people must take responsibility for their actions....

Once, I too, respected McCain. He had it all. A relatively honorable youth, a successful Navy pilot, a POW survivor, a U.S. Senator, and a dad who was a respected Naval Officer. Somewhere along his line of success, he became a pissant for sale. He sold out for votes, admiration, favors and whatever. His rejection of the Swiftees, less than total support for Bush and admiration for Kerry have damned him to many of us. Now, he's just another irrelevant politician with poor character.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Mr. Grit.

I'm beginning to feel the squeeze from contributions that are not normally in my monthly budgets however if the alternative is a Kerry presidency making due with a little less for a couple months is a very small price to pay indeed.

With that in mind, I'm off to the donation page and urge everyone to push themselves to the financial limits. We can't leave it to chance. Kerry has to be shut down hard.

Bite the bullet people!

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also agree. I thought highly of McCain, but no longer. I "forgave" him his part in the S&L crisis (though I'm a "veteran" of that fiasco and should have known better). His part in putting inappropriate political pressure on the regulators apparently wasn't an innocent and naive mistake. His actions betrayed good governance then, and he's repeating it, letting his POW experience shield him.

Anyone who thinks of JK as anything but a fraud will be suspect in my mind and heart for many years to come, even friends and family. Poor judgment is poor judgment!

Kat
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is too much of a loose cannon to trust. You just don't know what he will say from one day to the next. I believe he still holds a lot of resentment toward Bush from the 2000 campaign. However, he does have a hard-core group of followers. How many? That's hard to determine, but the Bush campaign might believe they are enough to help.
You know the old adage, "keep your enemies closer." That's probably the only reason Bush has anything to do with McCain.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking only of McCains performance as a United States Senator he is a complete dud.

He was the only republican member of the Keating Five S&L scandal. That should have sunk him and I imagine he is probably still paying off political debts for that egregious error.

That was my first exposure to him but the second came while watching a Senate hearing on C-Span regarding the Vietnam MIA/POW issue. A women was testifying and McCain barged into the hearing from the cloakroom and began to castigate this women to the point of bringing her to tears. I don't recall exactly what was said. I just remember her crying and him really bearing down on her and me thinking "what a *****."

Only later did I discover his military history. Which in contrast to Kerry and to his credit he doesn't wear around on his sleeve. That has been my experience with most people who have done something great. They don't bring it up at every occassion.

Anyway I think McCains endorsement of Bush has been particularly weak. He never misses an opportunity to compliment Kerry while supposedly campaigning for Bush. He's playing both sides.

Just my 2 cents.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TRUE republican Reply with quote

isobro wrote:
(Deleted by Admin)

Bush signed the Feingold/McCain bill and is working with McCain to make it tougher. So he doesn't oppose it, in fact he supports it.

Personally I hate the bill but thats neither here nor there.

And since you think McCain looks for the truth in people you should acknowledge that he endorses Bush. He must have seen some truth there hmm?

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
theflickster
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TRUE republican Reply with quote

isobro wrote:
He is a TRUE republican, he looks for the truth in people, and understands the REAL fine line between Republicans and Democrats, and that the R's and D's in front of peoples names is nothing more than a letter. Republicans such as Bush are dividers, Republicans such like McCain are True conservatives, such as Reagan. He signed the FeinGold/McCain bill, which of course, Bush opposes... Which is just plain sad...

Let's see Isobro..... Please define the following:

*IS*

*TRUE*

*FACT*

*REAL*

*RESEARCH*

Let's start with those general definitions, as of yet, I haven't seen any definitive statements, just a bunch of talking points... but nothing based on fact.
brotherofvietvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: John McCain Reply with quote

Here is his website to email him:

http://mccain.senate.gov/

to reconsider his position.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobro,

Clinton was deeper than that in the corporate world.

Most of the democratic fund raising comes for the attorneys in this country.

Looks like Kerry has plenty of his own money too and the campaign re-fi bill was a piece of dog crap anyway. I aree with that.

What of George Sorrors?

That corporate corruption was going on before Bush and the Bush admin has been one of the first to clamp down on it wil Clinton seemed not to care.

Why was it okay in 1998 for Clinton to go after Iraq?

What would you think of Bush had he just let 9-11 go with doing anything like Clinton did in 1993, 1998, and 2000?
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your losing it, but that's okay.
85 Scott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Truegrit. McCain is an indecisive dud to me too. Zell Miller is helleva lot better for Reps and he's on the other side.

I also agree with you on the Bush campaign strategy. They have played it "too soft" because of some false hope in uniting the far-left through appeasment. Never works.

Negotiating with liberal Demos is about as impossible as it is with rabid terrorists. No matter what you do for them they will always stab you in the back with their lies. Witness the latest enviro and economic crap being spun in the post above.

What the Bush campaign should have been doing all along is act as an echo chamber for the charges that the SBVT's make against Benedict Arnold Kerry.
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the sole reason you all don't like John McCain isn't because he isn't a fan of th SBVT. Trashing people becauese they don't follow what you say isn't fair. While I have a lot of respect for the man, I admit I don't know much about him. I am aware of what he said about our ads, and I think its fine. I would rather that almost than someone like Dole, who took your message, mangled it in an interview and then had to apologize for it later.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I still have a great deal of respect for McCain's record in the Navy, I lost my respect for him as a Senator over the issues of gun control and campaign finance reform.

His treatment of the Swifties didn't change my mind, either.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing votr wrote:
I hope the sole reason you all don't like John McCain isn't because he isn't a fan of th SBVT. Trashing people becauese they don't follow what you say isn't fair.

If he had known what he was talking about and then said that Swifts were "dishonorable and despicable," then I could just write him off as a kook, because the Swifts are clearly neither.

Instead, before he even knew what the Swifts were saying, he shot his mouth off. So, yes, I got even more ticked at him for that. (I was already completely disgusted with his behavior on Kerry's Senate Select Committee for POW/MIA Affairs.)

Then, after he HAD had a chance to find out who these Swiftee guys were and what their message was and he STILL trashed them, THEN I wrote him off.

And this is from someone who cried her eyes out at his recounting of his POW experience. I still empathize with that time - it is certainly more than I believe I could bear.

But what he's done to his fellow POW's and a huge bunch of his shipmates is in itself, despicable and dishonorable. I certainly have little respect left for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: