SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Makeup of Security Council

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Makeup of Security Council Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out since after WWII why France has a seat (and veto powers) on the UN Security Council.

All they did during those hostilities was to to their skivvies and bend over in 1939 when the Germans invaded them. The rest of the war they basically sat it out.

Was it because of their suffering ? France had minimal damageand casualies as compared to other Europeans.

Was because of the French resistance? If so why didn,t Norway, Holland, and other nations get a seat.

Was it for Troop cotribution? If so then certainly Canada and Austalria should have been seatet before them as I can remember that their part in the Allied effort was tremendous.

United States, Britain, Russia, and for the most part China should have been seated - but France its beyond me

Anybody got any answers I could'nt come up with over the past 50 some years
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be one of those, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" things (GRIN).

This was before DeGaul "showed his posterior" on the international stage in 50's/60's.

Perhaps one factor-- at the end of WWII, France was still a major colonial power (even including Viet Nam). Controlling a good-sized chunk of the third world, France probably looked pretty powerful at that time, before most of their subjugated colonies chased them off.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered that myself and it might have been the colony thing.

What I don't understand is whay those seats are permanent at all. In all fairness I am glad we and Britain are members, but if it were voted on every 2-4 years it might be better in some case.

In all cases the UN has no bearing anymore as in Kosovo, Rwanda, Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Cypres, Israel/Palestine, East Timor, Afghanistan, Iran, and on.....

And why do countries that are well documented human rights abusers even get a seat at the table?

Ugghh!!!!
MikeM
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple....they have nukes!
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say it, Great Britain insisted on France being added to the security council. Churchill was bound and determined to get back all of Britains colonies after the war because he felt that without them G.B. would lose her world power status. That being the case Britain also pushed for France to regain world power status ie. get back her colonies. Along with that I'd imagine that France was thought of as another check against the Soviet Union.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just as soon see the USA kick the UN outta NYC, the UN building would be better used for Section 8 housing for all the UN is worth. Twisted Evil
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The UN has gone from being useless to a threat to our National Security.
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France was given a perm seat on the security councel because it was requested by Winston Churchill.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Nukes does anyone recall the gift to China of Nuclear and Missle tech for campaign contributions to the Clinton Administration. Why is that not an issue in to the Kerry campaign. Surely since it was Bill and Hillary he supported it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: