SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Kerry wired at 2nd debate ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donald Callahan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Was Kerry wired at 2nd debate ? Reply with quote

After the 2nd debate, the local NBC news in St Louis went to a rally for Kerry at the America Center. After Kerry walked up to the stage he removed his coat and there was a device on his belt on his back side about 2"x3"x1" and it had what looked like an antena wire hanging from it.
In this mornings paper I read that someone was questioning that Bush might have been wired and it hit me that Kerry was wired for something but I have no clue what it was. It was similar to a device they use for the wireless mikes but they were not using wirless mikes at the debate or the rally.
pneal
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Was Kerry wired at 2nd debate ? Reply with quote

Donald Callahan wrote:
After the 2nd debate, the local NBC news in St Louis went to a rally for Kerry at the America Center. After Kerry walked up to the stage he removed his coat and there was a device on his belt on his back side about 2"x3"x1" and it had what looked like an antena wire hanging from it.
In this mornings paper I read that someone was questioning that Bush might have been wired and it hit me that Kerry was wired for something but I have no clue what it was. It was similar to a device they use for the wireless mikes but they were not using wirless mikes at the debate or the rally.

Cell phone? Can you hear me now? Cool
Donald Callahan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phone? I don't think so. It had a wire maybe 8" long hanging down and a 2nd wire going into his belt or up his shirt.
I would not have mentioned this but I read that Kerry made have had notes at the 1st debate and as I said, I read in this mornings St Louis Post Dispatch that someone had accused President Bush of being wired.
This device looked very much like the wireless mike set ups you see on broadcasters. But at the debate and the rallay they were using hand held mikes.

I find it very hard to dislike or not support another Viet Nam Vet, but Kerry is not one of our "Brothers".
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just a wireless microphone. Bush had one too.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlarsen wrote:

I wonder why they were using the handhelds?
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrb111 wrote:
jimlarsen wrote:

Just as a guess, it is relatively inexpensive to build-in redundancy. A secondary lavalier wireless backup (the tiny mics on a tie or coat collar), with a primary handheld wireless, would make sense.

On any halfway-important music concert, you carry at least two of everything. Belt-and-suspenders would seem equally sensible on a show as as big as a presidential debate. The show must go on!

Broadway musical road shows commonly carry 40 or more channels of wireless mics, plus ambient wired stage mics everywhere. Better safe than sorry...
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCJR posted
Quote:
lrb111 wrote:
jimlarsen wrote:

Just as a guess, it is relatively inexpensive to build-in redundancy. A secondary lavalier wireless backup (the tiny mics on a tie or coat collar), with a primary handheld wireless, would make sense.

On any halfway-important music concert, you carry at least two of everything. Belt-and-suspenders would seem equally sensible on a show as as big as a presidential debate. The show must go on!

Broadway musical road shows commonly carry 40 or more channels of wireless mics, plus ambient wired stage mics everywhere. Better safe than sorry...

I think you are 100% right on that one. Different bands, etc.

In this post 9/11 era I take a cell phone and a 2M band, 5 watt handi-talkie when I go out running - and I make my wife take her cell phone and her GMRS mini-handi talkie with her.

Redundancy - plus if the cell net goes down you have something that doesn't depend on repeaters or line power. Remember - the cell system is only as reliable as the copper lines that carry electricity between the repeaters, and the copper wires to the (line current powered) routers.

But - I agree with JCJR - redundancy.

God - I wish our First Responders had relied on more then one band in WTC 1 and 2 on 9/11 - and 2 meters just doesn't do it in a steel building with steel rebars and wiring conduits and elevators, etc.

Amateur Extra, GMRS, GROL, PE (Electrical and Nuclear)
- what do you expect of a Pig Boat Sailor??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: