SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edwards just sank Kerry on Fox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Edwards just sank Kerry on Fox Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134978,00.html

Quote:
WALLACE: President Bush said in Friday's debate that John Kerry is a big tax-and-spend liberal. I want to play some of what Kerry said in his closing statement. Let's listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

KERRY: I have a plan to provide health care to all Americans.

I have a plan to provide for our schools, so we keep the standards, but we help our teachers teach and elevate our schools by funding No Child Left Behind.

I have a plan to protect the environment.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WALLACE: Sure sounds like a tax-and-spend liberal.

EDWARDS: No, I don't think so. If you look at John Kerry's record, Chris, he has a long history of fighting for fiscal responsibility, of fighting for balanced budgets. He stood up against his own party back in the 1980s to move us toward fiscal responsibility. He's been fighting basically the entire time he's been in the United States Senate for more cops on the street, more tax cuts for the middle class.

And I think the reality is, John Kerry is right in the mainstream, and what the president's saying is a distortion.

WALLACE: Let's look at the map of the Kerry-Edwards budget plan. The highly respected and independent Concord Coalition came out with an analysis this week. Let's take a look at it.

Your repeal of tax cuts for the rich and reform of the estate tax would bring in an extra $286 billion over 10 years. But your health- care plan would cost $476 billion. More education funding would cost $155 billion. Adding 40,000 troops would mean another $60 billion. The total increase, according to the independent Concord Coalition, in deficit: $1.27 trillion over 10 years.

Senator, the numbers don't add up.

EDWARDS: Well, I would respectfully disagree with that.

And I have to say first, we have enormous respect for the Concord Coalition. They do a lot of important and good work about fiscal responsibility. But there are some things left out, first of all, and the way they calculate some of those things we would certainly disagree with.

But, in terms of the things that are left out, I mean, we would also close down some corporate welfare and some corporate loopholes, and John McCain has said that would save $300 billion.

On top of that, we would also reduce some bureaucratic spending in Washington and some overlap between some bureaucratic agencies in Washington, which would also save many billions of dollars.

And I would add at the end of all that, John Kerry and I have made absolutely clear, Chris, that we have made this commitment. We are going to meet our commitment. And what that means is, if we have to scale something back, we will scale it back. And we are committed to doing that, and John Kerry's made that commitment.

WALLACE: Well, I want to follow up on precisely that point, because in Friday's debate, Senator Kerry said that he would cut the deficit in half during his first term, he would cut taxes for the middle class, but he also had all these new spending programs.

Are you saying right here and now that if the numbers, when you get into office, don't add up, that it's the spending programs that go first?

EDWARDS: Yes. Plus the other -- don't forget the other things that I just said. But yes, on top of the other things I said, if we have to cut something back -- for example, I know John's already talked about, if necessary, cutting back national service programs, early childhood, I mean, some other things that are near and dear to our heart. But if they're necessary, we'll do it.

I just have to say, though -- you have to give me a second on this --you know, for the president to be attacking John Kerry for fiscal responsibility is outrageous. I mean, they took a $5 trillion surplus, projected surplus, turned it into a $3 trillion projected deficit in four years -- $8 trillion turnaround, the biggest turnaround in American history.

You know, according to the newspapers, they've got another $3 trillion of spending in tax cuts that they have absolutely no way of paying for. I mean, they have been the walking, breathing example of fiscal irresponsibility. And for them to be critical of Senator Kerry on this is the height of hypocrisy.

WALLACE: But again, just to clear it up, I just want to make clear that you're saying that even Kerry's cherished health-care plan, he would cut that back before he would add to the deficit or raise taxes on the middle class?

EDWARDS: We will not raise taxes on the middle class, as John said clearly. And we will cut back -- we will cut back on our programs if it's necessary to make sure that that happens.

Bye bye Kerry programs!

Quote:
WALLACE: ... specifically on Iraq, if Saddam Hussein was getting billions from the oil-for-food program, if the economic sanctions seemed to be shredding, how were you going to stop him from restarting his WMD program?

EDWARDS: The same way we deal with all threats around the world. What we do is, first of all, we keep the sanctions in place for people like Saddam Hussein. If at some point down the road those sanctions are lifted, we use the intelligence operation of the United States of America in conjunction with the intelligence operation of other countries to make sure that we know what's happening.

I mean, there are lots of countries around the world that pose potential threats. I just talked about two of them just a minute ago. And we have to monitor constantly what's happening in those countries and confront those threats and confront them aggressively. And we would have done the same with Saddam Hussein.

Would this be the same intelligence that said Saddam was making Nukes and had stockpiles of WMDs? How can sanctions be kept in place if they werent working? UN inspector Ritter was being paid off to look the other way. but yeah good one there Johnny boy.

Quote:
WALLACE: Senator, we have a couple of minutes left, and I want to tackle a couple of issues with you.

In your debate last week with Vice President Cheney, he attacked your record in the Senate. But what got all the attention was the question of whether or not the two of you had met.

But there's another part of what he said that I want to ask you about. According to the news reports, you attended just three of 36 meetings of the Judiciary Committee, the worst record of any member of that panel, and you attended just four of 13 public meetings of the Intelligence Committee.

For someone who's been in the Senate less than a full term, isn't that a problem?

EDWARDS: No, I'll tell you exactly what happened. I was in -- the first several years I was in the Senate, I had almost a perfect attendance record. And then I watched what was happening under this administration.

I mean, I had to fight this administration tooth and nail in their efforts to roll back our clean air laws. John McCain and Senator Kennedy and I wrote the patients' bill of rights, got it passed in the Senate. They blocked it. We fought to make sure we did something about drug company advertising on television. They blocked it.

I helped write the laws after September the 11th to keep this country safe, but at that point, I came to the conclusion that the only real solution to this was to get George Bush out of the White House. And that's when I decided to run for president, and that's the period of time that they're talking about.

LOL this is pure gold. Wouldnt we all like skipping work becuase we dont like the Boss, doesnt this guy know he was elected to represent the people and that means he has to be in congress doing his job every single day no matter what?
blackwatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the same interview and I was could not believe what Edwards was saying. Not raise taxes but cut spending on those programmes. Now if the press was going to do its job it would be reporting on that this coming week and I hope the President was listening and picks up on it. I think Edwards made a big mistake. I wish we could get it out to the bloggers but I am sure they have picked up on it and DRUDGE. Perphaps someone should email it to him.
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! Very Happy Bush needs to use this in ads. Laughing

Stolen Honor
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bawahhhhh!!! President Bush stated the same thing the other night! You can not cut the deficit and fund all that Kerry is promising! To which Keryy stated emphaticaly he would do. Come on JFnKerry, even the Boy Wonder admits that when the numbers don't add up you will have to cut back on your promises!!
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I have enjoyed reading it! I just could not watch this interview today I am so sick of that little Twerp. People here in NC are saying the very same thing, basically, 'If Edwards thinks we're going to elect him VP when he has not fulfilled the office we elected him to in the first place, he can think again.' He is VERY unpopular in this state. (I did not vote for him and never will.) There was a letter to the editor in today's Raleigh N&O that said this very thing.
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom was from North Carolina, my grandma and grandpa are buried there in Thomasville. Loved that giant chair on the square. Haven't been there for years since my mom died 10 years ago. But beautiful state!
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Edwards Meet the Press and Chris Wallace. Tim Russert was pretty tough on him, he had him dancing to a jig. It was hilarious and to think he believes that it can't be seen through. I agree on the Wallace show, it was so convoluted it reminds me of the Mastercard commerical and lets us say PRICELESS! New campain slogan WHAT THE JOHNS PROMISE TODAY- TOMORROW WILL BE TAKEN AWAY. YEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love one of the "pithy comments" I found in one of the blogospheres (can't remember where right now):

Watch my flips: no new taxes!

Last edited by Anker-Klanker on Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
rparrott21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is John McCain the only person who supports these guys...making me sick, every time these guys talk its John McCain..
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Edwards just sank Kerry on Fox Reply with quote

Quote:
I came to the conclusion that the only real solution to this was to get George Bush out of the White House. And that's when I decided to run for president, and that's the period of time that they're talking about.

There's more insight into this than we realize, through this we get a look at the way John Edwards would handle foreign policy. If you get a lot of resistance, LEAVE, GIVE UP! I know the people of North Carolina are glad he felt things were so awful in Washington that he left and didn't stay to protect them. Thank goodness for them that they had Liz Doyle.
2ndamendsis
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRICELESS............absolutely PRICELESS!

the one time I miss Wallace! Kicking myself Shocked Shocked
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rparrott21"]Is John McCain the only person who supports these guys...making me sick, every time these guys talk its John McCain..[/quo
te]

I dont even care to listen to McCain anymore, Hes done nothing to help, justs sits there on the fence watching his buddy John trash the gop.
And how he could be friends with such a phony makes me wonder what they have in common? Cool
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraphrase:

"I didn't attend intelligence briefings, but I can criticize the president based upon what I read in the NYT, LAT, and WP."
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
Paraphrase:

"I didn't attend intelligence briefings, but I can criticize the president based upon what I read in the NYT, LAT, and WP."

Good point! Maybe it is fair to say if any American who doesn't exercise their right to vote doesn't have room to criticize the political system then any member of Congress who doesn't attend their committee meetings as well as exercise their RESPONSIBILITY to vote, doesn't have room to criticize either!

Last edited by Roon on Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my estimation, Chris wallace is the toughest interviewer around, he can make people wiggle in their seats as h loves good follow up questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: