SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beaumont students watch 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Beaumont students watch 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in class Reply with quote

LINK

Quote:
Beaumont students watch 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in class

Associated Press

BEAUMONT -- A Southeast Texas businessman is upset that his son's English class watched Michael Moore's scathing documentary on President Bush and his handling of events after the terrorist attacks.

Michael Kurth, a veteran, said he was opposed to the film "Fahrenheit 9/11" based on its R rating and political partisanship. His son Matthew, 17, said that he put his head on his desk and tried to sleep through it.

"It bothered me," he said.

Moore's condemnation of Bush's actions regarding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon became the first documentary to top the $100 million mark domestically. In the film, Moore examines the Bush administration's alleged financial ties to Saudi Arabia and the bin Laden family.

"It is spun to a very liberal viewpoint," the businessman said. "It is absolutely wrong for teachers to take a political position with some of these kids at legal voting age."

Michael Ryals, principal of Pathways Learning Center, said that he previewed part of the film before he allowed the teacher to show it in class Friday.

"I didn't hear anything that was offensive to me," he told the Beaumont Enterprise in today's editions, adding that he did not know of the R rating.

Ryals said one student told him of another movie that takes an opposing view and he urged the student to bring it Monday for review to see if it could be shown.

Pathways is an alternative school for students moved from their home campuses for disciplinary reasons. Kurth said his son is at the school for 40 days after having too many tardies.

Beaumont Independent School District spokeswoman Jolene Ortego said she spoke to Kurth and assured him the matter would be addressed by Monday morning.

School board trustee John Williams said R-rated films should not be shown without parental consent.

Kurth, 39, said he watched it to see all sides and decided he did not want his family to see it, then was "livid" to hear that his son's class was viewing it weeks before the general election.

Earlier this summer, thousands of people watched the documentary in Crawford, Bush's adopted hometown, where Moore's staff had made arrangements to send a copy after learning that no theaters in the Waco area had been showing the film. A Waco theater subsequently agreed to screen the film.

Can we let this school district know how we feel about this?

Pathways Learning Center Website

I don't see any email addresses, it might require letters and/or phone calls. Perhaps emails to local papers and news stations though.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
directorblue
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

The parents should insist they watch the DVD of

FahrenHYPE 911

http://www.fahrenhype911.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: a Reply with quote

directorblue wrote:
The parents should insist they watch the DVD of

FahrenHYPE 911

http://www.fahrenhype911.com

That was "R" rated. All involved should be fired. Mad
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Beaumont students watch 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in class Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:

Pathways Learning Center Website

I don't see any email addresses, it might require letters and/or phone calls. Perhaps emails to local papers and news stations though.

Deb i ran a little searching, and got it down to this google. http://tinyurl.com/4otsd hpoe there's something in there. I've run out of time tonite.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was shown at Pathways Learning Center. I found an address and a phone number but no E-mail addy yet.

http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/sch/pathways.htm
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little bit of searching, I found two emails to reach the school:

Personnel: personnel@beaumont.k12.tx.us

Communications: bhood@beaumont.k12.tx.us

Did not check addresses of local newspapers yet, but it's a good idea to write to them too.

Medics, we're there when you need us.
jstoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Here's the link to the school in question Reply with quote

The Pathways school home page is here:
http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/sch/pathways.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: